Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 8,466Posts
    • 2,009Thanks
    50Twuncle
    NI Credits problem
    • 20th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    NI Credits problem 20th Mar 18 at 10:17 AM
    I am missing out on 8 years NI contributions and have discovered that I may be entitled to claim them from DWP....
    I am 54 years old

I am receiving a small Ill Health Pension from former employer.

I am disabled and working 10 hours a week (so not entitled to Tax Credits) - yet due to my payrate, I am earning under the NI rate !!

I have savings - so not entitled to ESA (in any case - have no recent NI credits for contribution based)

I see https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility says "You're not on Employment and Support Allowance but you satisfy the conditions for it"

But selecting conditions - does not tell me what the specific conditions are.....
    Anyone offer me any help ??

Thanks
Page 2
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    poppy12345
    If you were claiming ESA then you wouldn't be able to do this without a fit note, even if it's for NI credits only. You would still need to go through the same process as someone who was receiving payments... IE assessments etc.

I'm certain it's the same thing for UC because you have a limited capability for work, which is why you're only working 10 hours i'm assuming? I'm sure others will have more knowledge on the UC part than i do and will see this and help you further.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    If you were claiming ESA then you wouldn't be able to do this without a fit note, even if it's for NI credits only. You would still need to go through the same process as someone who was receiving payments... IE assessments etc.

I'm certain it's the same thing for UC because you have a limited capability for work, which is why you're only working 10 hours i'm assuming? I'm sure others will have more knowledge on the UC part than i do and will see this and help you further.
    Originally posted by poppy12345

I don't think that my area has been UC'd yet - and I thought that a "fit note" was issued by a GP when you return to work after being off sick
    I haven't had a single day off sick for almost 12 years !!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    sheramber
    You may need one to claim you have restricted ability to work.

Nowadays 'fit notes are issued not sick notes.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    poppy12345
    check what's in your area here. If it's a full UC area you can't claim ESA. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate as sheramber stated sick notes are now known as fit note. Even if you are able to claim ESA you won't be able to without the fit note and going through exactly the same process as everyone else.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    check what's in your area here. If it's a full UC area you can't claim ESA. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate as sheramber stated sick notes are now known as fit note. Even if you are able to claim ESA you won't be able to without the fit note and going through exactly the same process as everyone else.
    Surprisingly - my area is FULLY UC'd
    I am not tryiing to claim any benefits - just NI credjts - so why do tbey want to know about my wife ?
    I am working - so how will I get a sick / fit note ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 08-08-2018 at 4:11 PM.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    sheramber
    Surprisingly - my area is FULLY UC'd
    I am not tryiing to claim any benefits - just NI credjts - so why do tbey want to know about my wife ?
    I am working - so how will I get a sick / fit note ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Your fit note will state what work you are able to do whereas a sick note stated your were not able to work because........

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/464395/fit-note-patients-employees-guidance-sept-2015.pdf
    • w06
    • By w06 8th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    w06
    I think that you and your wife will need to go through the whole process, including a fit note for you that says you're limited to working part time because xyz (i.e. whatever your GP's opinion is of your fitness to work), and probably a work capability assessment. Because you're askign for your NI credits to be paid, if they find that you're fit to work then you'd need to demonstrate that you're job hunting in order to receive credits. I know it's 'just credits' but that amounts to a lot of money in the future
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I think that you and your wife will need to go through the whole process, including a fit note for you that says you're limited to working part time because xyz (i.e. whatever oyour GP's opinion is of your fitness to work), and probably a work capability assessment. Because you're askign for your NI credits to be paid, if they find that you're fit to work then you'd need to demonstrate that you're job hunting in order to receive credits. I know it's 'just credits' but that amounts to a lot of money in the future
    Originally posted by w06
    But I have a job at present - so why should I job search ?
    Seems a bit pointless !!
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 15,451 Thanks
    xylophone
    Seems a bit pointless !!
    Did you read the link in post 7?
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 8th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    calcotti
    Seems a bit pointless !!
    You are not working enough to get NI credits through work so you are asking DWP to credit you with them. In return you either have to have limited capability for work or be looking for more work. You canít simply limit your work (for whatever reason) and expect to get the credits.
    • w06
    • By w06 8th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    w06
    unless DWP are happy that there is a valid reason why you can't work 35 hours a week, which they ascertain via the fit note and then work capability assessment, then that's what they expect you to aim for - by finding a second or alternative job if you're working 10 hours
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    unless DWP are happy that there is a valid reason why you can't work 35 hours a week, which they ascertain via the fit note and then work capability assessment, then that's what they expect you to aim for - by finding a second or alternative job if you're working 10 hours
    Originally posted by w06

Well - I am 54 years old - suffer from multiple (major) issues - and have been medically retired from 2 jobs (livng on ill health pensions + DLA) in the last 9 years - so I hope that DWP are happy that this is a valid reason ?
    I have tried, myself to find full time/more work - but failed !!
    • w06
    • By w06 9th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    w06
    but why should they treat you differently than the rest of us?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Aug 18, 10:36 AM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    but why should they treat you differently than the rest of us?
    Originally posted by w06

I am not - I am just stating facts
    If I do go down this route - how often will I have to provide "sick/fit notes" ?
    Monthly or just a "one off" ?
    • w06
    • By w06 9th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    w06
    that entirely depends what your GP writes on your fit note and how long the note is for, and then how long it takes for the dwp to do a work capability assessment. My WCA was done on paper only - unbeknown to me at the time.

Best thing to do is probably to go and talk to your GP, or whoever provides your care (if it's mainly by a different doctor it would be them who need to provide the fit note), and explain that you're working a few hours a week but need to claim benefits and would they agree that you're not able to work full time?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    poppy12345
    You will also need evidence to support your claim, ready to send back when you return the UC50 form. They rarely contact anyone for this.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    You will also need evidence to support your claim, ready to send back when you return the UC50 form. They rarely contact anyone for this.

UC50 appears to be not needed - I was trying to apply on-line ?
    And besides - I cannot even write legibly - so how would I fill it in ?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 13,366 Thanks
    marliepanda
    UC50 appears to be not needed - I was trying to apply on-line ?
    And besides - I cannot even write legibly - so how would I fill it in ?
    Your wife? Your family? Someone at your local council. All you need to do is sign.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Aug 18, 12:05 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    poppy12345
    UC50 appears to be not needed
    They will eventually send you one, if you want to continue with claiming NI credits it will need to be filled in and returned.
    • w06
    • By w06 9th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    w06
    There's a digital form that you can type into too https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uc50-form-universal-credit-capability-for-work-questionnaire
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,508Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin