Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 19th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 9,974Posts
    • 11,246Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Independent vs online
    • 19th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    Independent vs online 19th Mar 18 at 8:20 PM
    Being in the market for a new television, I thought that I would have a look in a family run Audio/visual store not too far from where I live.

Before going there last Saturday, I checked on their website for their opening hours and these were shown as 9am to 6pm.
    I got there about 2pm to find the place closed.

I was passing again this afternoon so I popped in and discovered that the reason they were closed was because the staff members who were meant to be working last Saturday wanted to go to the pub to watch the England/Ireland rugby and with the agreement of the store owner, this is exactly what they did resulting in me having made a wasted journey.

I could understand them closing on what is probably their busiest trading day of the week if it was an emergency but to do so for a rugby match and without putting anything on their website to inform potential customers about this? and people wonder why internet shopping is taking more and more sales from "real" shops.
Page 1
    • Les79
    • By Les79 19th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Les79
    • 19th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    I've got a family member who runs an independent electronics store and they have on occasion done the exact same thing. Mainly for big events, such as England playing in the football. They tend to leave their mobile phone on the door so potential customers can call and they can be back within 5 mins.

Certainly not great from your perspective, and watching a sports game is not *really* an excuse, but I suspect that the manager gave the green light because they anticipated a low amount of business on that particular day (probably mor the reason why internet outperforms independents). And updating the website is a huge hassle for an independent company.

I think they should have left their mobile on the door and gone to a venue close to the shop, that would have been tolerable. But yea, your case is unreasonable. To be fair, though, but they are absolute tools for admitting WHY they hadn't been there! They should have lied and said that they were "ill".
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 8,158 Posts
    • 5,903 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 19th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    Infuriating that they didn't plan the day off better an update their website... and for something as inconsequential as a sports game.

But I like buying from companies where I know the staff are respected and well-treated...
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 19th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 8,342 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 19th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    It's an audio/visual store, could they not have just watched it on their own TVs? That's what we did when I worked at Comet and we had a big game on.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 19th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    • 2,767 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    JReacher1
    • 19th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    Although annoying a small independent retailer is unlikely to update their website everytime they randomly decide to unexpectedly close up for a couple of hours. This is what Twitter is for!
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 19th Mar 18, 11:18 PM
    • 9,974 Posts
    • 11,246 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:18 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:18 PM
    It's an audio/visual store, could they not have just watched it on their own TVs?
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    The only reason that I can think of for not doing this is that like a lot of people, they may have preferred the atmosphere generated by a large group of people watching the match in a pub. (and they probably couldn't have a drink if they watched it in store).
    • Les79
    • By Les79 19th Mar 18, 11:49 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Les79
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:49 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:49 PM
    The only reason that I can think of for not doing this is that like a lot of people, they may have preferred the atmosphere generated by a large group of people watching the match in a pub. (and they probably couldn't have a drink if they watched it in store).
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Spot on!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 20,157 Posts
    • 15,880 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 20th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 20th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    Assuming this shop was in England they may have wished they hadn't bothered (unless the staff were Irish)!
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 20th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 8,342 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 20th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 20th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Fair enough.

The irony is if this shop were to go out of business they'd probably be the first to complain about the internet and bigger companies causing this. However, it appears like most businesses that have gone under the problems are much closer to home.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 13th Apr 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    I still can't believe I wasted the afternoon going to the store for this TV only to find out there guys were watching the rugby, I am thinking of having a word with the Manager.
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    We know you're not the OP.

We know you're trying to distract from the fact you posted under your AE on another thread.

This is getting quite ridiculous.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin