Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Psyduck1980
    • By Psyduck1980 19th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Psyduck1980
    Switching
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    Switching 19th Mar 18 at 11:56 AM
    I have a couple of questions regarding the switching process - can anybody on here help?

1. Do you only get credit checked when you apply for a new current account if you elect to have an arranged overdraft?
    2. How much of an impact does multiple current account applications within, say, 12 months have on your credit rating? I've switched 3 times in the last year and wondering if this could lead to problems when the time comes to re-mortgage.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Page 1
    • N1ckS
    • By N1ckS 19th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    N1ckS
    • 19th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    You'll get credit checked regardless of whether you apply for an overdraft.

It will have an impact but it only forms part of your overall rating. It might help to keep one account open for a while and not use it for switching.
    • Psyduck1980
    • By Psyduck1980 11th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Psyduck1980
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    You'll get credit checked regardless of whether you apply for an overdraft.
    Originally posted by N1ckS
    Is that because you are effectively given credit anyway in the form of an un-arranged overdraft?
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 11th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    gingercordial
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    Is that because you are effectively given credit anyway in the form of an un-arranged overdraft?
    Originally posted by Psyduck1980
    Effectively yes - with a current account you could go overdrawn whether arranged or not and therefore it is a debt facility. Savings accounts don't allow a negative balance so they don't appear.

ETA: I am one of those current account tarts with double digits of them for various interest rates, access to regular savers, switching bonuses etc. I will be shutting most of them down at least six months before I try to by a house as a FTB in a year or two, partly because I don't want that access to credit to appear on my report (not that any of them have arranged overdraft facilities) but also because I don't want it to look complicated/suspicious for a bank or mortgage broker and I don't want them to have to wade through stacks of paperwork to trace all the payments in and out. Simple seems best there.
    Last edited by gingercordial; 11-04-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    • Fan Of 2018
    • By Fan Of 2018 11th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Fan Of 2018
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:27 PM
    Yes, every time you open a current account they do a credit check. It normally says this clearly on the screen when you apply online. Its probably not worth playing too many tricks close to when you want to apply for a mortgage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm v moved by many of ur comments on #10Things tonight. Very thankful it was seen in the spirit it was meant. I'm? https://t.co/JaeoPqIczM

• RT @MartinSLewis: Many asking about the free finanacial education textbook for schools - it's out in a couple of weeks - here's info https:?

• RT @psychotherapyMM: @MartinSLewis ?there?s a sacrifice? Most valuable point tonight. Success (however that looks) does not come easy. Nobo?

• Follow Martin