Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pdjohnson
    • By pdjohnson 18th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    pdjohnson
    Cancelling an order with Sofology undeclared costs
    • 18th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    Cancelling an order with Sofology undeclared costs 18th Mar 18 at 10:36 AM
    Hi,

Yesterday afternoon we ordered a sofa and armchair from Sofology at their Warrington store.

She did try and upsell 2 types of insurance in a manner which was to almost feel like we were being tricked into it however. One of those situations where you have to opt out rather than opt in which feels total immoral.

The problem is they did not provide me with an invoice as they said their system was down. Rather convenient it feels now that I have an email asking me to confirm the order which contains a line item of 38 but it is 4 of them too for deliver = 152.

I am appalled that they charge so much and try very hard to conceal this from customers.

This flagged concerns, which looking on various review sites grew. Turns out there are many issues with deliver and quality of product.

I paid a deposit on my credit card and have contacted them to explain the situation. They recommended I phone and try cancel the order. I also signed up for 0% credit so have time to cancel that.

What worries me is that Sofology have a reputation for not allowing people to cancel their orders.

I notice there is a thing called S75 protection which could be helpful.

I do not feel like I have entered into a contract at this stage, and it feels entirely reasonable that I can within 2-3 working hours of notifying them cancel my order.

I plan to phone them at 11am when the store opens. The central help line is closed today.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to proceed.
    Last edited by pdjohnson; 18-03-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: made an error
Page 1
    • TheBiggerPicture
    • By TheBiggerPicture 18th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    TheBiggerPicture
    • 18th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 18th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    Ring them and cancel. What are they going to do, kill you? Stop worrying. You are perfectly within your rights. Do they offer a 7 day cooling off period. Just say youve changed your mind. Simple. Your credit card company csn ensure this payment doesnt go out. Ensure you put it in writing too and email it. Just to cover yourself. It will all be done and dusted by tomorrow!
    Life is short be happy
    • pdjohnson
    • By pdjohnson 18th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pdjohnson
    • 18th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    Sorted
    • 18th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    Much to my surprise, once I insisted on being put through to the manager and quoted S75 he was prepared to offer to cancel the order.

I have emailed the branch to formally cancel the order and since received an email confirming the offer, so all sorted.

I know this has not been everyone's experience with Sofology. Pleased to report they have been reasonable with me.
    • ic
    • By ic 18th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    ic
    • 18th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 18th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    Their insurance is charged per seat, so if there were four on your order I presume you had ordered a triple and a single, or say two double sofas.

I bought a grade A sofa from them over the phone last year - the insurance was mentioned but there was no hard sell. I expect you were probably experiencing bad practice pushed by the local manager to his staff, looking to achieve targets.

Section 75 doesn't technically cover your problem and didn't have relevance. That's there to kick in when you don't get what you ordered and can't resolve it with the retailer. Section 75 is also specific to the card company, and has nothing to do with the retailer.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th May 18, 9:43 PM
    • 10,417 Posts
    • 11,750 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 15th May 18, 9:43 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:43 PM
    Section 75 doesn't technically cover your problem and didn't have relevance. That's there to kick in when you don't get what you ordered and can't resolve it with the retailer
    Originally posted by ic
    S75 doesn't just provide protection if you don't get what you ordered. If it applies, it covers any breach of contract and whilst this would include not getting what you ordered, it can also cover many other things such as goods failing too early in their life or what may have happened to the OP, being charged more than agreed.

Another point is that if there is a problem, you don't have to make any attempt to resolve that problem with the retailer before attempting an S75 claim from the credit provider. In most cases it does make sense to try to sort it out with the retailer first but you are under no obligation to do this if you don't want to.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 15th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 10,417 Posts
    • 11,750 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 15th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:55 PM
    mikemichael, with the amount of praise you are giving this one particular company, (3 posts in just over an hour and a half) a cynical person might think that you work for them.

At 7.51pm this evening you were thinking of placing an order from them
    I have been speak to a company called Strazzia they can be found by doing a google search I think I am going to place an order with them, I have been looking for sofas for awhile.
    Originally posted by mikemichael
    yet by 9.30 this evening you were very happy with the service they provided.

Appalling behaviour. recently bought a sofa from an online company called strazzia 2 years manufacturers guarantee free of charge did not try to sell any extra insurance. very happy with the service provided. I would highly recommend.
    Originally posted by mikemichael
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,677Posts Today

8,424Users online

Martin's Twitter