Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 17th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 165Posts
    • 119Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook advice
    • 17th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook advice 17th Mar 18 at 11:26 AM
    2 years ago today I booked a Holiday in May that year with Thomas Cook for 150pp. Looking to go to the same place or similar this year.

I know I got a real bargain last time, but I've been monitoring Thomas Cook over the last month or so and the cheapest I can get that same hotel in May is 405pp.

The difference is last time I did self catering but only have the option of half board this time, but I would want self catering.

I've looked at alternatives and have found the same hotel for 221pp self catering, but from a less convenient airport and they're evening flights which I hate, Thomas Cook flights are morning ones so much better.

So it's a question of whether I wait for Thomas Cook prices to come down and hope they offer self catering or just book the alternative.

At this stage is it likely that Thomas Cook will start to offer self catering and the prices will come down?

Just to add I'm open to any time in May and alternative hotels, but they too are expensive at the moment.
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 17th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 17th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    At this stage is it likely that Thomas Cook will start to offer self catering and the prices will come down?
    I'd be surprised if anybody here has access to flight loads and trading figures for what you want to book.

It's all guesswork. With Monarch having gone bust it's highly unlikely you'll get cheaper than a year or two back.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 17th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 17th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 17th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    I would say if TC haven't opened up self catering availability by now with only 2 months to go IMO it I highly unlikely.
    DIY is the best option if you want a specific hotel and board option if a tour operator isn't offering it.

Package deals especially to popular European destinations have increased significantly since you previous visit for some reason.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 17th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 3,193 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 17th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 17th Mar 18, 1:55 PM

Originally posted by Planet Switzerland
    According to my crystal ball they will indeed come down on the 31st April at approx 07:26.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 17th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    stephb34
    • 17th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 17th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    Which hotel is it? Is what you've seen with the evening flights a package or put together, if put together have you priced the flights on the TC website? Thomas cook also use flexibletrips.com which puts flights together with hotels, they maybe able to get a different board basis.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 17th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    • 17th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 17th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    Which hotel is it? Is what you've seen with the evening flights a package or put together, if put together have you priced the flights on the TC website? Thomas cook also use flexibletrips.com which puts flights together with hotels, they maybe able to get a different board basis.
    Originally posted by stephb34
    Both Thomas Cook and the other company are packages.

I know there is never any guarantee the prices will come down. My only previous experience with Thomas Cook is my 150pp holiday 2 years ago and I recall there being other holidays in the same resort for under 200pp.

I've been on holiday in May every year for many years now, mainly with Monarch. Generally the prices would come down late February/early March. The most I've ever paid for a holiday is 274pp and that was to Italy which I knew would be expensive, last year I paid 178pp.

Aside from the cheapest 405pp holiday I see on Thomas Cook at the moment, the other dates in May are 500+pp and some are more expensive than July holidays, it's a similar story with the other hotels.

I really can't imagine there are too many people willing to pay over 500 to holiday at a basic hotel in Europe in May and surely the prices have to come down.

I've read about holidays going up 10% and the likes compared to last year, but this is more than 110%.

I may be wrong though, maybe Thomas Cook prices tend not to come down much for May holidays beyond March, maybe the holiday I got 2 years ago was a one off and these prices are what you expect to pay for Thomas Cook. That's what I'm asking.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 18th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    stephb34
    • 18th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 18th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    If you won't say where it is and which it is we can't help you. May is nearly always the cheapest time to go in between the 2 bank holidays especially when the first flights are going out for the summer season in the greek islands, Balearics etc. But now Monarch have gone there is less competition and less flights going to these places so they may hold their price. Although its possible the prices may drop if they're not selling.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 18th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 18th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 18th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    Package deals especially to popular European destinations have increased significantly since you previous visit for some reason.
    I would suggest that is because terrorism impacting on tourism in Egypt and Tunisia has made these destinations less attractive - so people play safe and book the old favourites like Spain and Greece etc.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 19th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    If you won't say where it is and which it is we can't help you. May is nearly always the cheapest time to go in between the 2 bank holidays especially when the first flights are going out for the summer season in the greek islands, Balearics etc. But now Monarch have gone there is less competition and less flights going to these places so they may hold their price. Although its possible the prices may drop if they're not selling.
    It's in the Balearics.

I've since found a self catering holiday at the same hotel with a different company and better flight times than my original alternative for 219pp so have booked that.

Thomas Cook has come down slightly to 385pp for that hotel but that still seems far too expensive and in my mind it surely has to come down. I'm going to keep an eye on the prices between now and then to see what happens so I have a better idea for next time.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 21st Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Do TUI and/or Jet2 do the same package on the dates you are looking at ?

This generally indicates what is the "going rate" for a specific hotel.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 25th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    Do TUI and/or Jet2 do the same package on the dates you are looking at ?

This generally indicates what is the "going rate" for a specific hotel.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan

Yes it's Jet2 who I've gone with.

I've kept an eye on the Thomas Cook price and it's back up to 405 for the cheapest in May.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 25th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    stephb34
    Yes it's Jet2 who I've gone with.

I've kept an eye on the Thomas Cook price and it's back up to 405 for the cheapest in May.
    Does that include the 150 internet discount which would make it 330pp?
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 31st Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    Does that include the 150 internet discount which would make it 330pp?

I assumed it did because the original price was crossed out like it always is. However looking more closely it looks like it didn't. It's now 50 discount but you can't apply it until you've filled out your details which obviously I'm not going to do.

Seems a bit odd though for the advertised price to be more expensive than the amount you'll actually pay, normally it's the other way round.

The cheapest holiday is still 405pp so if you can get the 50 discount it's 380pp. All the other holidays in May except the first available at the same hotel are still over 500pp. Looking like I made the right decision but I really can't imagine too many people willing to pay that sort of money.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 31st Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    stephb34
    I assumed it did because the original price was crossed out like it always is. However looking more closely it looks like it didn't. It's now 50 discount but you can't apply it until you've filled out your details which obviously I'm not going to do.

Seems a bit odd though for the advertised price to be more expensive than the amount you'll actually pay, normally it's the other way round.

The cheapest holiday is still 405pp so if you can get the 50 discount it's 380pp. All the other holidays in May except the first available at the same hotel are still over 500pp. Looking like I made the right decision but I really can't imagine too many people willing to pay that sort of money.
    Oops the discount you saw was automatic for everyone. The other discount was by adding a code - probably Bookit which has dropped in value at the moment. I think its done that way perhaps hoping the customer doesn't realise they actually have to put the code in to get it.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 31st Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    Shelldean
    Oops the discount you saw was automatic for everyone. The other discount was by adding a code - probably Bookit which has dropped in value at the moment. I think its done that way perhaps hoping the customer doesn't realise they actually have to put the code in to get it.
    Don't think so. I've been doing researches while for a holiday. Taking them to the end. And it's always been shown on the page. Enter bookit and get off.

Also sometimes and not always if you go through to payment screen and don't complete the booking, they will email you. Asking if you still want your holiday. Most often it's just annoying emails asking you to complete the booking. But I have got extra money off once.

Just don't put in correct telephone number, when doing these dummy bookings!! Or they'll call instead of email.
    But obviously do put in the correct number when you make a real booking
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 1st Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    stephb34
    Don't think so. I've been doing researches while for a holiday. Taking them to the end. And it's always been shown on the page. Enter bookit and get off.

Also sometimes and not always if you go through to payment screen and don't complete the booking, they will email you. Asking if you still want your holiday. Most often it's just annoying emails asking you to complete the booking. But I have got extra money off once.

Just don't put in correct telephone number, when doing these dummy bookings!! Or they'll call instead of email.
    But obviously do put in the correct number when you make a real booking
    Originally posted by Shelldean
    Yes Bookit is on every page but if you don't apply it at the end you don't get it. I'm on about the discount in the costing. So i'm looking at Egypt and the original cost is 2311 and its crossed out because there is a discount of 120 saving 5% making it 2191 so everyone gets this discount. But i wouldn't get the extra 100 off if i didn't put the code Bookit in the box and apply it.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 14th Apr 18, 11:14 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    I've been keeping an eye on this and the 405pp holiday has come down slightly to 389pp or 364pp if you apply the 50 discount.

The cheapest holiday now is the first of the season in just under 3 weeks time at 386pp or 361pp if you apply the 50 discount.

The Jet2 holiday I actually booked for 219pp is now only available half board and up to 355pp which may be one of the reasons Thomas Cook prices haven't come down to anything reasonable. Needless to say it looks like I made a good call booking my holiday when I did.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 22nd Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    The 405pp holiday is now 325pp and the cheapest one flies out in 12 days time and is now 308pp. The rest of the May holidays are still over 500pp, you can actually book the equivalent date in May next year cheaper though not by much.

I guess the price has probably come down the same amount as I expected but it was ridiculously expensive in the first place and I wouldn't be willing to pay 308pp particularly as I paid 150pp 2 years ago.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 29th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    It's looking more like I would never have got a decent price with Thomas Cook. The 405pp holiday which came down to 325pp last week is up to 347pp today.

The cheapest one which is first of the season flies out on Friday and is 288pp.

It does however appear that some of the holidays that were over 500pp are no longer available which implies that maybe people did pay that sort of price in May which seems barmy to me.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 30th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    You're often better booking seperate. Odd time packages are cheaper but I've found its not that often
    roll on end of April 2019 *9 done* = *31 to go*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,505Posts Today

8,264Users online

Martin's Twitter