Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 16th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 854Posts
    • 5,784Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..
    • 16th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista.. 16th Mar 18 at 12:57 PM
    So..ladies and gents...it may be time for a new diary. The recent changes to the site seem to have booted me out...and as this place is essential (nay, critical) to my ongoing attempt to be a true frugalista I need to keep the diary posting going....plus of course I'd miss everyone on here. You are all fab and the support is always totally amazing.

If they can sort out the problems then maybe I can still use the old diary...but maybe a new diary is a good thing. The old one was over 6 years old I think...I should have called it something like "to being debt free and back again.." but ho hum.

So..we have good jobs, although I am SE, me and OH are in our 40's (great decade I think), have 2 brilliant teenage daughters who bring us deep joy and of course bring some stressy doubts too (don't they all?) and a real pride in our local community. For details of our travels and meanderings to being DF and then being less so, see the old diary -called "LBM in 2003...what have I been doing since??!"

So whats the current story?

We re-mortgaged last year and now have 13 years to go on the mortgage, but its a much better rate and its all based on OH's salary as it was less of a pain than proving all my details etc. But we would like to pay off the mortgage in c.5 years time. Doable. However at the same time we have debts from some big holidays last year, a car which is currently on a lease which we plan to buy at the end of the term (July) (that will be 11k out the door), a lodger who is going in a few months, daughters planning to go off to uni and a need to improve our savings rate. Also as I am SE I also need to think hard about ensuring I can continue in well paid work for as long as I want to..probably the next 8-10 years..then I want to slow down. OH is employed in an industry renowned for freelancers so thats always a good thing.

I am looking at a big 'winding my neck in' (as me and Lucielle were saying a fortnight or so ago) and these are the scores on the doors.

Savings

ISA 12,500 (but S&S so fluctuates a bit) - aim to get it to 20k by Sept 2019 and to 30k by March 2020
    Emergency Fund (EF) 250 (wont stop until we get to 20k)
    Repairs Fund 880
    Tax Fund 3,032

The Big But

So this is it...that we have an OD of 4k and similar amounts of debts on some cards. This didnt exist a few years ago..we got our DF badge and everything but clearly my LBM had a malfunction.

Anyroad up..

I reckon the holidays can be paid for by May. So that's my first goal, then the OD, all the time continuing to pay into the EF, ISAs, pensions, maybe the mortgage OP pot and then all the rest. So onwards and upwards

Love to you all xx
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 01-04-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typos
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 27.5% September 21% August 37% April 54% March ] Income Goal 301/750 Oct Goals: AFDs xx/25 Decluttering xx/60 LSDs xx/10 NSDs xx/05 Oct Exercise RT xk xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
Page 40
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 9th Jun 19, 6:03 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 20,011 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Interested in the microwave caramel recipe....

Thanks
    L
    Originally posted by lucielle
    Read this as camel. Wow. Big microwave
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 9th Jun 19, 6:05 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 20,011 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hope you've had a top weekend Brizzle you are on fire on lots of fronts at the moment.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jun 19, 1:31 PM
    • 11,069 Posts
    • 40,479 Thanks
    jwil
    Thanks lovely lady. Have a great weekend. Any booting planned?

X
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Not for me this weekend We've sent most of the stuff to charity now, so will have a break until we've built up some fresh goodies
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 9th Jun 19, 4:09 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    So glad you didn’t!! It’s been hailing here. Nonsense weather. It’s reminding us all (including The Donald) that climate change is a fact...

Big sunday lunch being cooked and wood burner is on. Need to cheer myself up with food and warmth!!! And it’s June what a contrast to last summer!!

Love to you all

Brizzle xx
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 27.5% September 21% August 37% April 54% March ] Income Goal 301/750 Oct Goals: AFDs xx/25 Decluttering xx/60 LSDs xx/10 NSDs xx/05 Oct Exercise RT xk xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 12th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 9,069 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Hi Brizzle!

Sorry I didn’t answer your last message-
    I hope you enjoyed yourself while you were down this way.

I am great thank you- we have recently bought our first house which is very exciting and has been a goal we were working towards for a long long time! Now back to shift the debt we’ve built up from both the move and hubbys new flipping car!

When does DD2 finish her GCSEs? My DD1 has her last one today so I’m sure she’ll enjoy that fact I’ll not be moaning about her not revising enough!

Going to have a fish and chip tea to celebrate

OF x
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = 0 Savings = 0 Xmas savings = 0 Weightloss = 0 lb

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Jun 19, 7:58 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Very exciting!! Will have to pop over to your (new?) diary to have a catch up. hope exams went OK in the final straits...

DD2 finishes on Monday. Just 3 to go. She can't wait and we are all exhausted. Its been quite an effort to keep everyone upbeat all the time. But she's worked bloody hard so that's the main thing. She's grown up a lot over the last 6 months or so and is really taking ownership of how she does and is making her own way despite what her peers may do or say.

I hit the comparison websites about 3 weeks before my car insurance was due (I think thats the ‘sweet spot’ time) and got my insurance for about 150 less than usual..bloody hell I thought. So thats great. Also used the Meerkat site so looking forward to free cinema tickets for a year. Planning on going with OH the week after next. What else? Chickens are laying well but the panels well...they won't be making much will they??! Bloody weather. Quite a change from this time last year..

Money is tight and EF is negligible after a couple of unexpected expenses like software renewals and an overnight stay for a birthday. But I guess at least we're hanging on.

Shattered so will go to bed soon. Hope everyone is in good spirits xx
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 12-06-2019 at 9:01 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jun 19, 8:31 PM
    • 66,940 Posts
    • 302,933 Thanks
    beanielou
    Plodding on of course
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    As always Beanie... Well done you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    • 11,069 Posts
    • 40,479 Thanks
    jwil
    Have a good weekend, hope the flipping weather starts improving soon!
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 19th Jun 19, 7:00 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks jwil. Had a great weekend.

All good just frantically busy and I also having to take stock of my goals for this year. After 5-6 months of a hard push towards DFdom I have the outline of what I need to pay in additional tax from moving from being FL and am also signing up for a year long course which might give me a side hustle in future, but at its heart is for me. It’s about my wellbeing and doing something that feeds my soul and helps me get physically stronger,

Will catch up more soon and hope everyone is well

Xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Jun 19, 7:29 PM
    • 66,940 Posts
    • 302,933 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good to see you xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 21st Jun 19, 7:54 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 4,402 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Hi,
    Have just finished reading your diary. You're doing really well, especially with your savings rate. I've been reading the barefoot investor (about 3/4 of the way through) and have found it really interesting. Can I ask where you hold your S&s isa? I've never invested money before, but quite like the idea of it.

Looking forward to following you on your journey (not in a creepy way )
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 21st Jun 19, 8:31 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thank you AW. That’s quite a feat!! Very much appreciated.

I hold the S&S ISA with Hargreaves Lansdowne not just because they are from Brizzle and one of the founders owns one of the footie clubs here but also because it’s so so easy. It was the nudge factor with me. Having easy access on my phone or laptop about 3 or 4 years ago made me more likely to pay into the pension or ISA. I used to check it’s progress most months and pay in most months and it’s help build a useful cushion.

The HL fees are higher than some I agree and I have started to look more closely now at the fees of the platform as well as the funds eg. I moved money into a tracker for my pension from Woodford (ironically last month :/) on the basis that so many FI people suggest it but I also like active investments that I have chosen to ‘support’ as you claim the dividends and negligible fees after the initial deal. Not all mine are stellar performers at the moment but I am playing a long term game.

The ISA funds are more boring - a couple of global funds and a European one. Deliberately so as I can’t really play such a long game with this as some will be taken to pay university support for DD1 who leaves in September.

Best shake a tail feather!! Thanks for dropping by and reading. Will be back soon as need to get my thoughts in order. The pressure is on as the requests for payment grow so I need to get back to having a very firm hand on the finances. Work has been crazy which I think has affected my spend pattern. Am certainly of the view that a lot of our relationship with debt and money is psychological!

Love to all and have a happy Friday!!

Brizzle xx
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 21st Jun 19, 5:17 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 4,402 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Thanks for all the info. Will have a look at HL. Im finding it such a daunting thing to do, especially as there's so much choice, but something I want to do to save for the future. Thanks again .
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 23rd Jun 19, 5:25 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    I think it’s a great idea. We all need to invest as well as save. Start small but do some. It’s important. Some of the apps which round up purchases and the transfer it into a savings account could be a starting point for investments.

A lovely weekend but super spendy. Been with my girls on a shopping trip to the Big Smoke. We had a great time. But with Mum flashing the CC it wasn’t cheap. But we stuck to the agreed budget (one had a birthday), and made some compromises such as staying in a student hostel (in bunk beds as hotel prices were crazy this weekend...must be something on, maybe a start of the tourist trade as loads around) and shopped the sales. We also had a plan before we went to try and curb any impulsive spends. We also had a few unexpected surprises, like discounts just for being nice to staff...that one shocked me! But not knocking it.

Need to do a reconciliation later this week and see what the proper damage will be. May have to adjust the payments into debt payment which will set me back. But will just have to adjust.

I am also facing into a large tax bill...that was finalised last week..way after we planned this weekend, but even so, plus a deposit on the side hustle idea. So do need to get real. At least the last 6 months we have been super good with debt repayments. That’s putting us in good stead.

So have loved this weekend but do need to make sure it’s not the start of slipping back. I have also noted that I haven’t been as obsessed over my spreadsheet as much as usual, so maybe I need to start looking at it every day again!

Have a great week everyone, thanks for popping by
    • jwil
    • By jwil 24th Jun 19, 8:21 AM
    • 11,069 Posts
    • 40,479 Thanks
    jwil
    Your weekend sounds fab. Have a good week
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 24th Jun 19, 7:56 PM
    • 7,632 Posts
    • 56,859 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounds like a great weekend. Don't feel guilty about taking your eye off the ball now and again, we all do it at some stage, especially when we're busy.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 514.51
    Emergency Fund 3300/10,000
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 25th Jun 19, 4:45 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 20,011 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Weekend sounds fab and the girls will have some fab memories from it. These things are all part of the journey. Have a great week, hope you manage a run.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 27th Jun 19, 5:27 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks lovely peeps.

One item is going back, as in two minds anyway as thought it swamped me, and have now decided it does so it’ll go back. I may try and find a better fitting equivalent one this weekend, or I may just try and save money instead,

As I said in XS’s diary (great to have her back) I am having real difficulties in sticking to the 30/40% savings rate this month though, there have been lots of additional big lump sums, car stuff g. MOT and birthdays and school events which have had to go on a CC, but the overall direction is always down which is one of the important things. If I can do the scores on the door next week then I will, it won’t be over the weekend as would need a laptop and I am not taking that on my weekend break!

My savings into the ISA have also taken a hammering but I will try and make that up next month although also conscious I have POA tax that month, in common with lots of others I know, it’s not exactly a surprise, and a final holiday accommodation instalment to pay for. There will be some Prom dress returns (we did the whole order 8 and send back 7 idea which works better than trialling round the shops getting frustrated) which should however help the card total. Am also away on a short break with OH this weekend, but much needed. Ships in the night and both on crazy work schedules...another late work night tonight but it all pays the bills.. divorce would be much more expensive..

HMRC have finally given me a new tax code which makes much more sense and means they will adjust my PAYE to get the deficit back in year. However I will only find out what the monthly deduction amounts to when I get paid next month. Hope it’s not more than 200 p.m as otherwise that will seriously affect my proposed debt repayment planning.

Going to relax only way to work now reading the paper and reading diaries...small joys.

Have a great day folks

Am enjoying this better weather, hope it’s all good where you are too.

X
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 27-06-2019 at 5:31 AM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 28th Jun 19, 6:45 AM
    • 11,069 Posts
    • 40,479 Thanks
    jwil
    Have a lovely weekend away
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

8,126Users online

Martin's Twitter