Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 16th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 512Posts
    • 3,484Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..
    • 16th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista.. 16th Mar 18 at 1:57 PM
    So..ladies and gents...it may be time for a new diary. The recent changes to the site seem to have booted me out...and as this place is essential (nay, critical) to my ongoing attempt to be a true frugalista I need to keep the diary posting going....plus of course I'd miss everyone on here. You are all fab and the support is always totally amazing.

If they can sort out the problems then maybe I can still use the old diary...but maybe a new diary is a good thing. The old one was over 6 years old I think...I should have called it something like "to being debt free and back again.." but ho hum.

So..we have good jobs, although I am SE, me and OH are in our 40's (great decade I think), have 2 brilliant teenage daughters who bring us deep joy and of course bring some stressy doubts too (don't they all?) and a real pride in our local community. For details of our travels and meanderings to being DF and then being less so, see the old diary -called "LBM in 2003...what have I been doing since??!"

So whats the current story?

We re-mortgaged last year and now have 13 years to go on the mortgage, but its a much better rate and its all based on OH's salary as it was less of a pain than proving all my details etc. But we would like to pay off the mortgage in c.5 years time. Doable. However at the same time we have debts from some big holidays last year, a car which is currently on a lease which we plan to buy at the end of the term (July) (that will be £11k out the door), a lodger who is going in a few months, daughters planning to go off to uni and a need to improve our savings rate. Also as I am SE I also need to think hard about ensuring I can continue in well paid work for as long as I want to..probably the next 8-10 years..then I want to slow down. OH is employed in an industry renowned for freelancers so thats always a good thing.

I am looking at a big 'winding my neck in' (as me and Lucielle were saying a fortnight or so ago) and these are the scores on the doors.

Savings

ISA £12,500 (but S&S so fluctuates a bit) - aim to get it to £20k by Sept 2019 and to £30k by March 2020
    Emergency Fund (EF) £250 (wont stop until we get to £20k)
    Repairs Fund £880
    Tax Fund £3,032

The Big But

So this is it...that we have an OD of £4k and similar amounts of debts on some cards. This didnt exist a few years ago..we got our DF badge and everything but clearly my LBM had a malfunction.

Anyroad up..

I reckon the holidays can be paid for by May. So that's my first goal, then the OD, all the time continuing to pay into the EF, ISAs, pensions, maybe the mortgage OP pot and then all the rest. So onwards and upwards

Love to you all xx
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 01-04-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typos
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct 0% Nov ] 2019 Income Goal £x/£750 January Goals: AFDs 11/25 Decluttering 30/60; LSDs 1/10; NSDs x/10 Exercise in Jan RT 27k, 8/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
Page 29
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jan 19, 9:11 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 251,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that your OH will use it!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • jwil
    • By jwil 7th Jan 19, 1:14 PM
    • 9,621 Posts
    • 32,014 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope your OH uses the rowing machine!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 15,208 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Echoing the others re OH using the rower! Do you think he will! Get him working on that payment plan!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 09/01/2019 - £2,271.09
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 28
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 8th Jan 19, 6:33 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Oh he has..twice in two days.....it sounds like a tornado setting off in our house when he's at full stretch

The payment plan is a funny one...he announced at the dinner table that he would use his overtime (he's forecast some which should be paid next month (you see, he doesn't even get cash flow....) and I said right back that that was already earmarked for his tax bill and for building up our Mojo Fund (Barefoot expression) again after it had been decimated by MY tax bill so to get his thinking cap on and try again My daughters were quite amused. Its like I am serious this time. Tired of being in debt so fine if he wants to 'splurge' but it has to be paid back.

I'll report back on what he says about it this evening! He had an interview (internal role) today and the interview went really well so hopefully he's buoyed up. He was quite stressed yesterday as had no time to prep for it in between his day to day work and supporting DD2 with her schoolwork.

No running today but I will try a LP exercise class. Only 20 mins but better than nothing. And maybe a bath. And will go tomorrow as have had some meetings rearranged.

Meals have been better today. Easier/getting used to it maybe? Getting used to only 3 cups of caffeinated tea and am drinking lots of herbals instead. Have done a TT and although spent on groceries for the health plan its all sensible stuff.
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct 0% Nov ] 2019 Income Goal £x/£750 January Goals: AFDs 11/25 Decluttering 30/60; LSDs 1/10; NSDs x/10 Exercise in Jan RT 27k, 8/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 251,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope there is good news on the interview

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 9th Jan 19, 8:31 AM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 34,634 Thanks
    lucielle
    My OH wanted to spend 120 quid on an exercise bike. Managed to get one for 20 he's used it less than 10 times!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jan 19, 9:30 AM
    • 9,621 Posts
    • 32,014 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope there is a good result from the interview!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Jan 19, 10:20 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 15,208 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Echoing everyone re the interview!

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks all - that's a cracking result L! Apparently he's been stalking options on the bay for some time and this one came up so he grabbed it...

Anyhow. We do have a resolution to this. Apparently he was offered double the overtime I thought so the additional amount will more than cover the rowing machine. Still doesn't help cash flow but at least he has taken responsibility. In fact he's on it now

Life still going well. The new job will be full on but the ability to work largely from home is glorious. I am following LP on diet but no runs or exercise yesterday or day before because of work. But feel quite strong which is nice and will run today. And did 17k steps yesterday so hardly a couch potato. Its proving good, nice tasty food and I generally don't feel hungry. But I do need to get more diligent as I am not doing her exercise routines or drinking enough water...that needs to improve.

Lots of TTs...but have just woken up to fact that will probably have a reconciliation tax bill in July and another in December. I know I can plan for these but its just knocked my confidence a bit about being DF again by Xmas. Oh well, think I will just stick to my current plan and just start saving and knocking down the debt as fast as I can. One outstanding amount will be paid off on Tuesday. Whoop!!! Its at 0% interest, but its the psychological boost that we will get from striking it off the whiteboard that I am waiting for. I am already doing TTs to the second one which feels better than nothing, thats for sure.

Onto work matters for OH, he was offered the job which he is thrilled about. Although...if something else that is planned comes off, equally as good, he will be on that. Confusing? Definitely! But the main thing is he sparkled in interview so we are all very thrilled and either way he gets a great project to work on. I hope he'll know one way or the other next week so he get on with whatever one it turns out to be.

Think thats it from us. Ploughing on. Hope everyone else is OK.

Brizzle xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 19, 4:42 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 251,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news for DH.

Enjoy your weekend

***Keep plodding***
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Jan 19, 4:42 PM
    • 7,724 Posts
    • 78,723 Thanks
    greent
    That's all sounding fab, brizzle! (well, with the exception of the tax due July/ Dec.…) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £421.46/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £20.01/£500
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Jan 19, 8:00 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks ladies. On the tax Ijust need to build a buffer and maybe get my company affairs sorted in June so the July payment is based on actuals not forecasts. In fact that’s probably the sensible thing to do. Will talk to the accountant sometime next month about bringing everything forward a bit.

So as I write he’s on the rowing machine again....I do think it’ll get used

Good things today..

- had a cookery lesson today. Nice low carb ideas and super healthy. Really good to get more ideas on what might work well plus have my first eve bullet coffee which was surprisingly tasty. Met some nice people too.
    - still eating leftovers and some from my lesson. Super frugal.
    - have meal planned for next week and though there’s fish, no meat so cheaper.
    - lovely afternoon with DD1 and that DD2 worked hard on school work today....out now tho.

Less good:

- As a result of my lovely lesson i went on Amazon for some supplements and a book on some food plans...so under £40 spent today but even so can’t count as LSD which in the Brizzle world is £20 or less
    - no run today....put the fire on and helped Dd1 with some travel plans....fatal!!
    - OH did his tax return and it’s bigger than we had thought, largely because of some dividend changes that came in last year. Good job we get paid before it’s due...but clearly that has to come first before paying down the other debt. Obvs. Oh well.

Have a good eve all xxx
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 12-01-2019 at 8:02 PM.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Jan 19, 8:13 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 15,208 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Very pleased to hear that the rowing machine is getting blasted after all! and well done to OH re the job.

Your own fitness/health plans are going very well - the cookery lessons sound really interesting.

Bah humbug to the tax bills though!. Still you and OH are on top of it and I know you will roll with the punches.

SSG x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 19, 9:20 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 251,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend xx

***Keep plodding***
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jan 19, 1:39 AM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 17,059 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    We too have bigger tax bills both than we would like this year. Obviously I'd like it to be zero but once it's paid and gone you can move on and if you can get hours done on actual before July that seems sensible.

I did manage a run today but only because I was out early before I got caught up in other things that needed to happen today. Am going to try tomorrow too, we'll see.

Cookery lesion sounds fab. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Purps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

2,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin