Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 16th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 326Posts
    • 2,057Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..
    • 16th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista.. 16th Mar 18 at 1:57 PM
    So..ladies and gents...it may be time for a new diary. The recent changes to the site seem to have booted me out...and as this place is essential (nay, critical) to my ongoing attempt to be a true frugalista I need to keep the diary posting going....plus of course I'd miss everyone on here. You are all fab and the support is always totally amazing.

If they can sort out the problems then maybe I can still use the old diary...but maybe a new diary is a good thing. The old one was over 6 years old I think...I should have called it something like "to being debt free and back again.." but ho hum.

So..we have good jobs, although I am SE, me and OH are in our 40's (great decade I think), have 2 brilliant teenage daughters who bring us deep joy and of course bring some stressy doubts too (don't they all?) and a real pride in our local community. For details of our travels and meanderings to being DF and then being less so, see the old diary -called "LBM in 2003...what have I been doing since??!"

So whats the current story?

We re-mortgaged last year and now have 13 years to go on the mortgage, but its a much better rate and its all based on OH's salary as it was less of a pain than proving all my details etc. But we would like to pay off the mortgage in c.5 years time. Doable. However at the same time we have debts from some big holidays last year, a car which is currently on a lease which we plan to buy at the end of the term (July) (that will be £11k out the door), a lodger who is going in a few months, daughters planning to go off to uni and a need to improve our savings rate. Also as I am SE I also need to think hard about ensuring I can continue in well paid work for as long as I want to..probably the next 8-10 years..then I want to slow down. OH is employed in an industry renowned for freelancers so thats always a good thing.

I am looking at a big 'winding my neck in' (as me and Lucielle were saying a fortnight or so ago) and these are the scores on the doors.

Savings

ISA £12,500 (but S&S so fluctuates a bit) - aim to get it to £20k by Sept 2019 and to £30k by March 2020
    Emergency Fund (EF) £250 (wont stop until we get to £20k)
    Repairs Fund £880
    Tax Fund £3,032

The Big But

So this is it...that we have an OD of £4k and similar amounts of debts on some cards. This didnt exist a few years ago..we got our DF badge and everything but clearly my LBM had a malfunction.

Anyroad up..

I reckon the holidays can be paid for by May. So that's my first goal, then the OD, all the time continuing to pay into the EF, ISAs, pensions, maybe the mortgage OP pot and then all the rest. So onwards and upwards

Love to you all xx
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 01-04-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typos
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29%May 25%June 15%July ] 2018 Income Goal £76/£750 August Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 05/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 01/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
Page 18
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 15,382 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Great pot totals brixzle agree about the EF, it definitely makes you feel better even if you have to sacrifice paying down the debt a little to help build one up. I have a SO going to ours every month, when i started it at £30 a month a couple of years ago I could never see it building up. It's now a higher amount that gets contributed each month and stands at £2,250 but so glad I started it as I don'treally miss the money iyswim. I do want to get it to a decent figure though so will keep plugging away. Hope wfh gives you some extra time.
    Last edited by PurpleFairy26; 18-07-2018 at 8:25 AM.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You are doing so well with your savings brizzle. I was chatting earlier to my friend who was lamenting how much she is leaking money lately. I've sent her the YNAB link!

How are you doing on the Frugalwoods challenge?
    x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/07/2018: £776.27
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 34!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 18th Jul 18, 4:09 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thank you kindly SSG..

I haven't started the FW challenge yet...I am squirrelling the emails away and starting on the 1st August...I haven't come up for air this month so it just feels a step too far. Next month I have holidays and breathing space (and less income as a result ) so its a good time to focus.

Hope everyone is in a good space x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29%May 25%June 15%July ] 2018 Income Goal £76/£750 August Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 05/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 01/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 22nd Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hi PF..did a short run today..boy was it warm. Not complaining though. I love this weather. Doing a class this evening for a double bubble

Such a leisurely weekend. Loving it, and trying hard to to break it by thinking I need to write a list or something! Surviving so far have been reading some Mrs FW and shuffling some money. Decluttering is going better and so are the AFDs. Hosted a dinner party on Friday which was great and for me, pretty restrained. Still eating our way through some yummy leftovers

A few decisions to be made soon I think. Am getting itchy feet which I probably need to do something about or else buckle down and ignore so to speak. OH may be asked to go back full time....which I and he will resist I think, but it would be extra cash to take account of no lodger.

Am inceasingly determined to build up the pots and pay off the mortgage in 22/23. Given our ages this is likely to be the highest income earning years of our lives and we need to use it well. Pension is coming together, no work pension but the PP is beginning to work. Power of compound interest..(and a bull market of course)

Loving spending time in our garden. Its small but lovely. So worth the money we spent on it a few summers ago. I love it when money spent well brings such joy.

Hope everyone is good. Lots of love

Brizzle x
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 22nd Jul 18, 3:55 PM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,756 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    All sounding good Brizzle, enjoy the rest of the weekend.x
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings was £10,000 now £5000/borrowed £5000 for new kitchen which I MUST pay back. £5000/£0
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 22nd Jul 18, 9:00 PM
    • 6,000 Posts
    • 40,159 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounding fab as always I'm also loving this fantastic summer we're having. One annoyance is that old people I've spoken to have to keep saying "we'll pay for it" - I think we already paid for it with the winter that kept on coming back earlier this year. Let's enjoy it while it's here

Have a good week xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £376.59
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 22nd Jul 18, 10:23 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    I agree SA. Its wonderful its here.
    Thanks for popping by PWPS

Didnt make the class.. watched Paddington 2 as a family instead But at least a run was bagged.

Have a good week all.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 23rd Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    A great day doing some career development ‘for my personal interest’ type work. Happens all too infrequently. Note to self...must do more of it.

Heading home now. NSD I think if OH stayed out of trouble one of the first this month. They are hard to do. Need to get sorted though as August will be a small month income wise

Love to all x
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 24th Jul 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 15,382 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Well done on the run Brizzle I finally made it out over the weekend. Lovely but, agree verrrry warm. Better than not going out though.

Have been doing some future planning, like you as we have a new pension thing at work where we can look at lots of scenarios and I was playing around yesterday. Once mortgage fix is through (must chase again today - rolls eyes) we are going to start a few longer term vehicle things that will hopefully allow us to pay of large chunks in a few yespars time or but in our pensions.

Enjoy your garden whilst you can!
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 24th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks PF...I could have run today but stayed in instead... and had egg on toast. Yum

I am future planning this evening too and getting YNAB in order for next month. The car payment seems to have thrown YNAB out - it can't seem to take account of the spend...not sure why..(It may be because I didn't put the borrowing down as income..hmm..I may have answered my own query - will check later). And we are planning on a lower income next month...pity ;( But on the plus side summer and Autumn holidays are paid for - just small spends to find now really and I do need time off. Still hoping to pay a chunk off the car CC next month but I am also concerned about the OD..its creeping up so I raided a spare fund and put us in the back again. Its good to have funds but not if we are in the red and have to pay OD fees as a result.

Just 1.5 days more of work this week. Which is good. Away this weekend and can't wait. Kick back and relax in our lush van. Yippee.

Hope everyone is good xx
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 25th Jul 18, 7:04 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Yep sorting the income/borrowing makes it much more accurate. Sitting waiting for my train. Loving the weather. Its simply glorious.

Start of the summer hols for DD2. Shes very excited about just hanging out with friends. Will have to make sure she does some household jobs though too (to keep her mother sane!) and she will have language classes still twice a week. As she goes into final year of GCSEs next school year she also needs to get focussed. We shall see

Have a good day all.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 1st Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hi all

Wow, is it a week since I wrote? Blimey. Time is flying.

All good and looking forward to a short break next week with my UFM emails in tow Feeling rough but working hard and not getting too much sleep. You know the two might be linked!!

DD2 kicking back a bit. Hard to balance but she needs to do more as she finds it tougher than others. Hardly fair but then academic aptitude isnt exactly doled out on a deserving basis..

No exercise although plenty of steps. Also very little alcohol and trying to eat very sensibly so the weight is slowly decreasing. Life could be much much worse!

Hope everyone is good. Love to all x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 56,245 Posts
    • 227,430 Thanks
    beanielou
    Love back to you xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 8,809 Posts
    • 27,548 Thanks
    jwil
    Have a good break next week
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Aug 18, 7:58 AM
    • 6,000 Posts
    • 40,159 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Doing fab as always. I think your success is helped a lot by your family being on board with you. Have a lovely break
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £376.59
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 5th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks lovely. I am in sunny climes for a very short break and living it. Am channeling you SA and will raise a glass to you this evening. Spending all day on a sun lounger is doing my spirits a world of good
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 5th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    And that’d be loving it (albeit living it too probably!!)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Aug 18, 8:47 PM
    • 56,245 Posts
    • 227,430 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks lovely. I am in sunny climes for a very short break and living it. Am channeling you SA and will raise a glass to you this evening. Spending all day on a sun lounger is doing my spirits a world of good
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hello ladies & gents...

Back a few days ago..it was truly a fleeting visit. Been full on since but need to do some paid work and some YNAB type stuff later today. Currently catching up on sleep and was reading the paper.

Will be back with a better update - hope everyone is OK
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Aug 18, 12:04 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hello All

Well July wasn't great. The fall out from the car, paying my interim tax and a VAT bill and a heap of grocery spends, eating out, celebrations and the like meant that we only 'saved' 15% - most of which went against the car cost. Me and the girls had a great short break, but OH is away, DD2 is now ill with a hacking cough and my income is down from not working so not altogether a bright picture. The importance of having a better EF for when the inevitable happens or my income drops is increasingly dawning on me.

August looks better so far which I need to maintain and our family holiday should be frugal, but we shall see what actually transpires I guess. Went for a class on Friday which was good and hope to run today. After the glorious sun will be interesting to run in the rain!! Also have a few errands to do as well as some work. I will also meal plan so we know where we are. Will also update my signature.

Girls loafing about downstairs, laughing together and joking around which is great. Lifting my spirits a little We also had a plastic clear out session and brought some substitutes yesterday eg. wooden toothbrushes, shampoo bars and refilled some snack jars eg. nuts and bombay mix from a bulk foodstuff shop. Instigated by DD1, who has been abroad and saw the issues of plastics (particularly single use bags) in the ocean for herself It was nice to have them lead the way..

Love to all
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 12-08-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,186Posts Today

7,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin