Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Mini eggs is good in lieu of the real life chooks eggs!:D

Hope the car manufacturer reverts soon.

Enjoy your TV binge. I'm off to do that myself soon!:)
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,184 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    You get orange smartie mini eggs you know :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 9:54AM
    :D sound delish :)

Thanks for popping by all. Much appreciated. Wellll....its been a spendy few days...I think I would describe it as a step forward, two steps back and a shimmy to the side...

The shimmy to the side is the money transfer I took to pay off the OD. OH and I decided that it was worth the £76 to arrange it and its 0% for a year so that we can pay off. It will help enormously (psychologically wise) to have a current account that is not in the red, we just need to keep it that way. So that shimmy was planned..

The two steps back were vehicles. A large repair bill for the van, which was expected but was still a lot. I took a money transfer for that too. So that CC needs paying off rapido. But it was impossible to pay any other way (I will be frank it was over £2k) and so a money transfer seemed best rather than paying on a CC and paying interest. Then to cap it all...the car has had a major fault. After some pretty cross words and a few days the manufacturer has coughed up and the dealer has got proactive so the bill was reduced by 90%...and again folks this was not small change..way in excess of the figures above....its nuts. You can see how people get into massive financial trouble with trying to keep cars on the road. And this car is less than 4 years old. Incandescent is not the half of it..anyway. We should get it back today and the bill is now of a size we can pay from the emergency fund.

So...thats the two steps back (am I stretching this analogy too far? :rotfl:) now for the BIG step forward. The penultimate holiday card has been CLEARED! Whoop. Just one to go from the big trip over Xmas and the sneaky ski trip in Feb. Way to go Brizzle and family :D The last one should go by mid May. Cant wait :D and we have put a lot into pensions and the ISA this month too, so not too shabby.

May onwards will be topping up EF etc and paying off this money transfer. Slated to do all that by the Autumn and must find a way of sorting out a car too. Decisions. I will keep you posted :)

OH was in charge of meal planning this week and didnt do it.. :( we lived off leftovers from fridge and freezer though which was cheap. But not very organised. So I am doing it for next week. Hes been relegated :rotfl: Roast chicken and mash for this evening I think. I am not working so fancy a nice tea, especially as its such a bleak day. I may also try to do a class to make good use of my time off.

Decluttering rates are poor, AFDs are picking up, LSDs are OK, but NSDs are non existent.

Hope everyone is good. Thanks for reading and commenting

X
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well done on clearing the CC and topping up the ISAs and pensions! A nice bank account in the black isn't to be sniffed at either!:)

I can totally see why you were so livid with the car bill! A reduction of 90% from the original ! How many people out there would have swallowed the first bill and got themselves into even more financial hot water.

Go brizzle!:j
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Oh no, the car woes are so stressful. But you've got a plan - that always helps. Having a current account in the black was the game changer for me, I have to say.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,184 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Eeek to the cars.
    At least you have a plan.
    Have a good weekend.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,065 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Eeek to the huge bills :eek:

I must say, not having an overdraft is a huge relief to me, moreso than other debts. I suppose it's knowing that every penny (even if there's only a few) in the bank is mine, even if it's going to pay bills or debts.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,249 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Always good to have a bank balance in the black :) Glad you got the car bill sorted, that's one thing I don't miss now that we don't have transport. I've also taken a step back this week and now have cc debt again but like you I have a plan to clear it.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Grrr to car bills - but yeay! to plans to pay debts off! :T
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks guys. The final bill was even lower in the end, all paid from the vehicles EF..further discounts which of course is great. But does call the whole process into question.... alarmist is not the half of it.

Slow day today but 2 classes this weekend which is great. No running though, sorry PF, but yesterday was too nice to run and today too grey and rainy. Also did a lovely walk on Friday with OH in and around the city with lots of fields and ruralesque stuff thrown in. So lots of exercise which is great as I do not feel tip top at the moment and generally weary. More sleep needed and less saying yes I think is in order..

Meal planning done. Pretty easy meals to give us all a break and more time. Some stores to buy but not much.

Finances wise, still hopeful we are heading in the right direction. Definitely a new impetus in the Brizzle household to get on top of this once and for all :D

Have a good rest of the weekend folks x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure