Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 16th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 447Posts
    • 2,958Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..
    • 16th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista.. 16th Mar 18 at 1:57 PM
    So..ladies and gents...it may be time for a new diary. The recent changes to the site seem to have booted me out...and as this place is essential (nay, critical) to my ongoing attempt to be a true frugalista I need to keep the diary posting going....plus of course I'd miss everyone on here. You are all fab and the support is always totally amazing.

If they can sort out the problems then maybe I can still use the old diary...but maybe a new diary is a good thing. The old one was over 6 years old I think...I should have called it something like "to being debt free and back again.." but ho hum.

So..we have good jobs, although I am SE, me and OH are in our 40's (great decade I think), have 2 brilliant teenage daughters who bring us deep joy and of course bring some stressy doubts too (don't they all?) and a real pride in our local community. For details of our travels and meanderings to being DF and then being less so, see the old diary -called "LBM in 2003...what have I been doing since??!"

So whats the current story?

We re-mortgaged last year and now have 13 years to go on the mortgage, but its a much better rate and its all based on OH's salary as it was less of a pain than proving all my details etc. But we would like to pay off the mortgage in c.5 years time. Doable. However at the same time we have debts from some big holidays last year, a car which is currently on a lease which we plan to buy at the end of the term (July) (that will be £11k out the door), a lodger who is going in a few months, daughters planning to go off to uni and a need to improve our savings rate. Also as I am SE I also need to think hard about ensuring I can continue in well paid work for as long as I want to..probably the next 8-10 years..then I want to slow down. OH is employed in an industry renowned for freelancers so thats always a good thing.

I am looking at a big 'winding my neck in' (as me and Lucielle were saying a fortnight or so ago) and these are the scores on the doors.

Savings

ISA £12,500 (but S&S so fluctuates a bit) - aim to get it to £20k by Sept 2019 and to £30k by March 2020
    Emergency Fund (EF) £250 (wont stop until we get to £20k)
    Repairs Fund £880
    Tax Fund £3,032

The Big But

So this is it...that we have an OD of £4k and similar amounts of debts on some cards. This didnt exist a few years ago..we got our DF badge and everything but clearly my LBM had a malfunction.

Anyroad up..

I reckon the holidays can be paid for by May. So that's my first goal, then the OD, all the time continuing to pay into the EF, ISAs, pensions, maybe the mortgage OP pot and then all the rest. So onwards and upwards

Love to you all xx
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 01-04-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typos
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct 0% Nov ] 2018 Income Goal £125/£750 December Goals: AFDs 03/25; Decluttering 15/60; LSDs 03/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 01/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
Page 10
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks guys. The final bill was even lower in the end, all paid from the vehicles EF..further discounts which of course is great. But does call the whole process into question.... alarmist is not the half of it.

Slow day today but 2 classes this weekend which is great. No running though, sorry PF, but yesterday was too nice to run and today too grey and rainy. Also did a lovely walk on Friday with OH in and around the city with lots of fields and ruralesque stuff thrown in. So lots of exercise which is great as I do not feel tip top at the moment and generally weary. More sleep needed and less saying yes I think is in order..

Meal planning done. Pretty easy meals to give us all a break and more time. Some stores to buy but not much.

Finances wise, still hopeful we are heading in the right direction. Definitely a new impetus in the Brizzle household to get on top of this once and for all

Have a good rest of the weekend folks x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct 0% Nov ] 2018 Income Goal £125/£750 December Goals: AFDs 03/25; Decluttering 15/60; LSDs 03/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 01/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 14,610 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You're walk sounded just the ticket brizzle. Lovely to get out in the fresh air in scenic surroundings.

Have a good week!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 16,636 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thanks guys. The final bill was even lower in the end, all paid from the vehicles EF..further discounts which of course is great. But does call the whole process into question.... alarmist is not the half of it.

Slow day today but 2 classes this weekend which is great. No running though, sorry PF, but yesterday was too nice to run and today too grey and rainy. Also did a lovely walk on Friday with OH in and around the city with lots of fields and ruralesque stuff thrown in. So lots of exercise which is great as I do not feel tip top at the moment and generally weary. More sleep needed and less saying yes I think is in order..

Meal planning done. Pretty easy meals to give us all a break and more time. Some stores to buy but not much.

Finances wise, still hopeful we are heading in the right direction. Definitely a new impetus in the Brizzle household to get on top of this once and for all

Have a good rest of the weekend folks x
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Ran on Thursday but did rower and elliptical thing today and loads of weights. Like you, yesterday was too nice for gym as a one of sunny day so long walk up steep hill to woods with the smalls and back. Happy days. Glad to see you so positive
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 17th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks PF.. was stalking on your diary but didnt get a chance to post..revision support interrupted! Am planning on a class this eve too. Hopefully home, soon. Grabbed a snack from M&S so not cheap but essential if I am going to actually go. Cannot go on an empty stomach but equally trying to eat better as am sure otherwise Its one reason for generally feeling below par.

MSE wise, not bad. Taking in lunch and meal planning. Hopefully we are on track and staying there
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 21st Apr 18, 8:28 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Good start to the weekend spends wise (ie super low today) and a morale boosting money shuffle on Friday. Game on for the last holiday CC going in mid May

Surviving various vehicle shenanigans has proved to me the importance of a EF. So thats the big goal from the summer. Have restocked the pots but want a good 6 months bare costs to feel safe. Lodger also leaves sometime next month which will lose us lots of tax free cash under the rent a room scheme.

Have a good weekend folks - fab thunderstorms here
    Last edited by brizzlegirl; 21-04-2018 at 9:05 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Apr 18, 8:41 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the money shuffle

Would you think about another lodger?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 21st Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Thanks Lou - dont think so.. giving it a rest but not adverse to Air BnB maybe...on an ad hoc basis. Having lodgers can be an emotional responsibility so thinking we will take a break from that for a while.

But have said that before and swiftly changed my mind!

Have a good eve x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks Lou - dont think so.. giving it a rest but not adverse to Air BnB maybe...on an ad hoc basis. Having lodgers can be an emotional responsibility so thinking we will take a break from that for a while.

But have said that before and swiftly changed my mind!

Have a good eve x
    My thoughts exactly.
    It can be hard going in a lot of ways.

YOu have a good evening too xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 22nd Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 14,610 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Good start to the weekend spends wise (ie super low today) and a morale boosting money shuffle on Friday. Game on for the last holiday CC going in mid May

Surviving various vehicle shenanigans has proved to me the importance of a EF. So thats the big goal from the summer. Have restocked the pots but want a good 6 months bare costs to feel safe. Lodger also leaves sometime next month which will lose us lots of tax free cash under the rent a room scheme.

Have a good weekend folks - fab thunderstorms here
    The EF is an excellent idea - I can't begin to tell how safe mine makes me feel. Shame about the lodger but nice to have an emotional respite for a while and, as you write, there's always the occasional AirBnB.

Was thinking of you yesterday when I was reading the Frugalwoods blog. I was reading her post last month on de- cluttering and minimalism. In her photos it was inspiring how little she has now in that big farmhouse, but it didn't really look that bare - still had a warm, homely feel. One of my friends has the opposite touch - she has lots of things like ornaments and photos but can place items in such a way that her home never looks cluttered - just tasteful and homely!

No thunderstorms here at the moment - still glorious weather but we're due some showers later on this evening.

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 23rd Apr 18, 7:04 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Oh I agree SSG, I love her house.. I do wonder what it will be like tho when the 2 girls get older - certainly our house now has just more stuff as there are 4 of us.

Hope it will be a positive week for us all. Want to remain upbeat. Weather always helps but stuff going well at work and home will help too. Realising that DD1 is well into the final strait of A levels was a bit of a shock this weekend

Have a good week all

Brizzle x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Scary how quick the time goes.
    My DS is a quarter of a centuary old this year

***Keep plodding***
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 24th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    It flies Lou... it hurtles by.

Busy week.. OH away and realising just how much there is to do. Small things that made it all better tho were... DD1 handed in a big piece of work; girls lodger and I had a real laugh over dinner; have prepped a healthy dinner for this eve so chance I may get a class in this eve. You never know. Work is pretty brutal at the moment and I am also starting this Transform programme from Louise Parker.. really want to have more energy and think lack of sleep and not a great diet are to blame. I like her focus on a way of life not a diet.

Did a TT yesterday and will do a small one today. Can’t wait for mid May!! But need to be careful. Need to sort the VAT bill and sometimes working less so earning less. All swings and roundabouts isnt it?!!

Have a great day everyone x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    You have a great day too xx

***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 14,610 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi brizzle - hope work isn't being too unkind to you this week. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the Transform programme.

Have some wine tonight and relax!

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 25th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Just back from a class SSG! Walking home now, will shower and flop into bed. Nice to exercise though, feel like work is more distant - before I jump on the hamster wheel again.

Have a good evening folks x
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 26th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 14,610 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    What - no wine!

Maybe that's not such a good idea though - I doubt it fits into the Transform programme!

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 1st May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Transform is good. Am doing it mostly. Exercise is the big thing. Am exercising but not doing her sculpting exercises and DEFINITELY not getting the 7 hours sleep she orders.. but I am on a better diet and actually my digestion is much better. Maybe its connected?

Money wise having a DD turn 18 is a mightmare. Money just seems to be flooding out the door. Also need to pay a friend for a holiday for us all and for some reason hadnt thought it would be owing for a while. Doh But still on course for paying off the last holiday CC, its just that I have raided my EF to pay for a holiday.. which is definitely breaking the rules!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    I remember for DS being 18

***Keep plodding***
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Its bonkers Lou...cant believe it.

In good news I am feeling better..cycling to the station and getting some exercise every day is helping. Not doing classes tho, so thats a waste of money as have a subscription. Eating more carefully too although am out with work peeps tomorrow eve which will throw that out for definite!!

Enjoying the light mornings and evenings despite the chill..a tonic for the soul just also altered a jacket that had been meaning to do for ages. Saved me £10 maybe and just reminded me how easy some alterations can be. Have decided to only use the tailor for complex stuff.

Small TTs this week but big push will be in a fortnight. Cannot wait. Cannot wait at all. Then the last big holiday card will be gone

BUT..and its a big but. We have just had notification that need to pay car off by end of June if we want to keep it. Gulp. Lot of wonga to pay. Need to get my thinking cap on with how we do this for the least amount. Only constraint is not planning to touch the S&S ISA as thats for real emergencies...hmm. Need to get thinking cap on
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd May 18, 9:00 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Oh and will update the April scores on the doors over the weekend. Do not really have a sense of where it will land so will be interesting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

1,820Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin