Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 123Messiah
    • By 123Messiah 15th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 32Posts
    • 5Thanks
    123Messiah
    Letter of claim
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    Letter of claim 15th Mar 18 at 11:20 AM
    Hi,

I have received a "letter of claim" from a credit card from 2015! ( I would have been at my old address then). I cannot remember getting out any credit card.
    I kept getting letters in the post but dismissed them thinking they have mixed someone up who used to live here before.
    Now this letter of claim comes but it's not a letter before claim, if that makes a difference?
    says if not replied in 30 days may issue court proceedings and has a reply form.
    What's the best way to deal with this?

Kind regards
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 14,064 Posts
    • 13,324 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    Send the provit letter to them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 15th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 12,258 Posts
    • 9,287 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 15th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    Is it one of these?

https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/

Tick box c and ask them for everything listed in box I
  • National Debtline
    • 15th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    Hi there

It sounds like a letter before claim (they may have worded it slightly differently). If so it is very important they receive your response within 30 days of the date on the letter. Send it back by recorded delivery so you can check it has been received.

Fatbelly's link is a really useful guide to check what it is and how to respond.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 14,064 Posts
    • 13,324 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    You can send the profit letter as well as it has the effect of putting everything on hold whilst they provide you with proof.

If they cannot prove your liability then there case is dead in the water anyway.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • 123Messiah
    • By 123Messiah 11th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    123Messiah
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    Hi,

Got a letter back from the provit saying x amount was paid on x date with no other proof? Still I!!!8217;m non the wiser?

Shall I just send back there dispute he debt reply form.
  • National Debtline
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    Hi again 123Messiah

It's really important that you send back the reply form from the letter of claim. Did you send that with the prove it letter?

If not, return the reply form now recorded delivery. You need to try and get it back within 30 days of the date on the letter of claim. In section 1 you can tick box C if you don't know whether you owe the debt. In section 4 you can tick box I and ask for a copy of the credit agreement and statement of the account for further proof that this is your debt.

I would stress it's not a good idea to respond to a letter of claim by only sending the prove it letter. With the pre action protocol for debts that has been introduced you are specifically expected to complete and return the response form. I hope all goes well.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 11th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 12,258 Posts
    • 9,287 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    Susie is correct on all points there. I don't think we could have been clearer 4 weeks ago and that link gives you all you need to know.

I suspect you are going to get a court claim next.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

167Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin