Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TraceyJ29
    • By TraceyJ29 15th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TraceyJ29
    Claim through own car insurance or third party?
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    Claim through own car insurance or third party? 15th Mar 18 at 9:38 AM
    Hi. Iíve never had to make a claim before so any advice would be appreciated.

On Sunday a car reversed into the side of my car. The other driver has admitted fault. I phoned up my insurance company to make a claim, fully comp with Admiral, who advised it would be a non-fault claim and that costs would be recovered from the TP insurance. They have also advised my car will be written off. TP insurers, Rias, have also called and left a voicemail saying other driver accepts full responsibility and they would like to offer their services.

So I originally thought it was best to go through my own insurance and let them handle everything but now Iím not so sure and this is where I need the advice.

Admiral have advised that my insurance will be cancelled when the car is written off. I have since read on forums that Admiral deduct the remaining premium from the settlement payment and donít allow you to transfer the remainder of the policy onto the new car. I was under the impression that I could just continue paying monthly and have the insurance on the replacement car. If the premium is deducted then I wonít be left with much to actually buy a replacement as it was an old car.

Would I be better off cancelling my claim with Admiral and dealing with the TP insurance instead and then contacting Admiral to discuss the remainder of my policy? Iíve also read that Admiral take forever to actually value the car and get the money to you so was wondering if it would be quicker dealing with TP insurance? My concern was that if I do deal with TP insurance I wonít have any protection and wonít be able to complain to ombudsman.

This is causing me so much stress so any advice at all would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • TraceyJ29
    • By TraceyJ29 16th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TraceyJ29
    • 16th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 16th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 16th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    I'd go through the third party insurers.

When you claim on your policy, the policy will be affected until they get a recovery from the third party insurers.

If the third party insurers write off the car, you have to tell admiral as you either have to add a new vehicle to the policy, or cancel the policy.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 35,162 Posts
    • 19,275 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 16th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    My concern was that if I do deal with TP insurance I wonít have any protection and wonít be able to complain to ombudsman.

This is causing me so much stress so any advice at all would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by TraceyJ29
    That is correct.

Though you would still be able to take legal action if you are unhappy with the way the insurer deals with this

Irrespective of which company you use, you must inform Admiral that your car is written off.

They will allow you to put a replacement car on cover (assuming any replacement you get is acceptable to them), but may only give you a short time to do so before cancelling the policy

Ask them the procedure for continuing the cover after a write off, as the forums you have read have misled you about this
    • TraceyJ29
    • By TraceyJ29 13th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TraceyJ29
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    Just thought I would update:

I ended up staying with my own insurers, Admiral, for the claim. They decided my car was a Cat N write off and valued it at £1275, which I was really happy with since it only cost me £100 for the car and £150 for repairs and the most I would have got in a private sale would of been £700.

They gave me the option of taking the £1275, scrapping the car and cancelling the insurance or taking £1045, keeping the car and continuing my insurance as long as I provided a new MOT within 14 days. I chose the second option, put a new door on and put it through a new MOT. My husbands a mechanic and his dad does MOT!!!8217;s, free for us, so didn!!!8217;t cost much.

I!!!8217;ve now bought a new car, better than my old one, will sell the old one and don!!!8217;t have a cancelled insurance policy. Great result.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

284Posts Today

3,383Users online

Martin's Twitter