Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    eSparkles
    Pink Recipes
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:33 PM
    Pink Recipes 21st Oct 07 at 6:33 PM
    Hiya everyone

We are having a 'wear it pink' charity day at my little boys school to raise money for breast cancer awareness.

I am going to make the raspberry & white chocolate muffins that I have seen mentioned on this forum a few times (well will do a trial run tomorrow as I am assuming they will come out a pinky colour lol)

Does anyone have any other pink recipes at all ? or anything using pinky coloured things that would be suitable to sell at an infants school.

While I am here, I have seen a recipe for Strawberry Muffins and they use strawberry conserve .. am i right or wrong in assuming that strawberry conserve is just jam ?

Many thanks for any help you can give
    Erica xx

Last edited by MSE Archna; 23-10-2007 at 4:52 PM.
Page 1
  • MRSMCAWBER
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:40 PM
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:40 PM
    Hi there

What about gingerbread people - you could pipe pink bows on.. or use a bit of icing to stick pink dolly mixtures on!
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • reehsetin
    • By reehsetin 21st Oct 07, 6:42 PM
    • 4,818 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    reehsetin
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:42 PM
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:42 PM
    my mum used to make savoury bready things a pinky colour by putting a little beetroot in the mixture, not enough for taste just colour (and spinich for green etc)
    Yes Your Dukeiness
    • Waxy Bean
    • By Waxy Bean 21st Oct 07, 6:43 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 5,373 Thanks
    Waxy Bean
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:43 PM
    I have a recipe for beetroot cake (like carrot cake) which I can post if you are interested.
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, 25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, 250
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 21st Oct 07, 6:43 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Beetroot muffins ! They're good actually-bit like carrot muffins. You add grated cooked beetroot to the muffin mixture. It turns a fab pink colour which isn't quite as impressive once cooked, but is pink nontheless. Healthy too.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 21st Oct 07, 6:45 PM
    • 33,825 Posts
    • 39,959 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:45 PM
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:45 PM
    good old coconut ice

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/coconutice.htm

the pink one always seemed to taste better !
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Waxy Bean
    • By Waxy Bean 21st Oct 07, 6:46 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 5,373 Thanks
    Waxy Bean
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:46 PM
    • 21st Oct 07, 6:46 PM
    Snap thriftlady!!!

Or there are always red velvet muffins but you could use pink food colouring instead and even add food colouring to the frosting.
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, 25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, 250
    • torianut
    • By torianut 21st Oct 07, 7:00 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 12,721 Thanks
    torianut
    • 21st Oct 07, 7:00 PM
    • 21st Oct 07, 7:00 PM
    I made plain fairy cakes for the school alien day last week and added a bit if green food colouring and they turned out really good - (thought they might go browny green when baked but took them out just in time!) I am sure this would work for pink ones too.
  • eSparkles
    • 21st Oct 07, 7:10 PM
    • 21st Oct 07, 7:10 PM
    Thank you all for the brill suggestions.

re the coconut ice, I have the link open now and that looks almost too easy to do (I can muck up the easiest of recipe's lol ). Mind you, I could always get David (my little one) to do it with me and keep me on the right track lol

The velvet cakes look gorgeous (and I know I am a pain in the !!!) but does anyone know how to convert cups to grams or oz ? I have clicked the convert button on there and it converts to ml but I dont have any ml measuring doodahs (my jug is too big for the measurements on there)

Thanks again
    Erica xx
  • eSparkles
    Thanks torianut, I did think about that, and maybe putting some strawberry chocolate on top (I was discussing it with a friend and I said I could get some pink smarties or pink jelly tots and put one on top but we decided it was a bit risque for an infants school lol)

ooooo I just had a thought .. what are those domed spongey things that are covered in jam and coconut .. I could do a version of those couldnt I (except they would have to be cake shaped cos I dont know how to get them that funny shape lolol)

Erica xx
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there

they are madeleins
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • eSparkles
    Hi there

they are madeleins
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    brilliant .. thank you
  • rhubarbs
    How about little pink meringues? You just add a few drops of red food colouring to the whisked egg white. They look very pretty.
  • eSparkles
    How about little pink meringues? You just add a few drops of red food colouring to the whisked egg white. They look very pretty.
    Originally posted by rhubarbs
    oooo another good idea, thank you .. its gonna cost me a fortune in pink colouring at this rate lolol
    Erica xx
    • rsdiscos
    • By rsdiscos 22nd Oct 07, 9:08 AM
    • 636 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    rsdiscos
    Lots of school would be weary about having anything with coconut in for sale at school because of children with nut allergies and the risk of cross contamination etc..
    I had a girl in my class once who had such a severe allergy that when a child in her class had had a snickers bar she had breathing difficulties - the class promised not to have anything with obvious nuts in it !! Sweet
    Hope this helps
  • eSparkles
    Lots of school would be weary about having anything with coconut in for sale at school because of children with nut allergies and the risk of cross contamination etc..
    I had a girl in my class once who had such a severe allergy that when a child in her class had had a snickers bar she had breathing difficulties - the class promised not to have anything with obvious nuts in it !! Sweet
    Hope this helps
    Originally posted by rsdiscos
    hiya
    we're lucky in the fact that we are only a small school (5-7yr olds only) and none of the children have nut allergies .. but all the plates will be marked etc anyway. The cakes wont be on sale to the children either .. just available for parents to buy after they drop the children off and before they go to pick them up.
    Thank you for the advice though, its much appreciated
    Erica xx
  • eSparkles
    I have a recipe for beetroot cake (like carrot cake) which I can post if you are interested.
    Originally posted by Waxy Bean
    sorry, i forgot to say .. yes please .. the recipe would be great
    Erica xx
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 22nd Oct 07, 12:54 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    Thank you all for the brill suggestions.

re the coconut ice, I have the link open now and that looks almost too easy to do (I can muck up the easiest of recipe's lol ). Mind you, I could always get David (my little one) to do it with me and keep me on the right track lol

The velvet cakes look gorgeous (and I know I am a pain in the !!!) but does anyone know how to convert cups to grams or oz ? I have clicked the convert button on there and it converts to ml but I dont have any ml measuring doodahs (my jug is too big for the measurements on there)

Thanks again
    Erica xx
    Originally posted by eSparkles
    this should help http://www.50connect.co.uk/index.asp?main=http%3A//www.50connect.co.uk/50c/concharts.asp
    click on American liquid/volume charts
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 22nd Oct 07, 1:02 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    There's a chocolate beetroot cake recipe here ... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=463266&postcount=55

it comes out a dark sludgy pinky/brown. Not sure if this is the same as WaxyBean's recipe though.
  • eSparkles
    brilliant . thank you for the links Chris25

Erica xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin