Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 15th Mar 18, 6:41 AM
    • 2,387Posts
    • 1,786Thanks
    Alexland
    Orbis 100 match offer - Now Ended
    • 15th Mar 18, 6:41 AM
    Orbis 100 match offer - Now Ended 15th Mar 18 at 6:41 AM
    Firstly, promise I am just a customer and not being paid or asked to plug this - I just think its a really good offer. Orbis are contrarian value investors and when investing your capital is at risk so this won't be for everyone.

Orbis are again running their invest 100 for a year and get a matched 100 (contributed into the account early next tax year) promotion and the offer expires on 30th April, The offer is open to new and existing customers opening a S&S ISA or Junior ISA (but sadly does not cover General Investment Accounts this time). You will not be able to get the ISA bonus for an ISA next tax year if you have already made an Orbis ISA contribution this tax year. To avoid bonus clawback the money needs to be invested in one of their 2 funds (they are focused) for at least a year.

https://www.orbis.com/uk/individual/home

https://www.orbis.com/uk/media/v63656540857/2433/matched-investment-march-2018-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Orbis are unique in only deducting a management fee on their 2 funds when outperforming the benchmarks and refunding when they underperform. If investing direct there are no platform fee or platform trade costs. In the meantime the fees sit inside reserve account for each fund from which Orbis draw their costs. Their investment strategy has delivered returns around 4% per year above the MSCI World index since they started in 1990 still past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Also on the Junior ISA any contributions in the first 12 months (which can be 2 full tax years of allowance plus any transfers in of Junior ISA or CTF accounts) go into fee-free units until the child is 18. The snag is that you cannot switch between the 2 funds after 12 months without loosing the fee-free unit status. However any additional units you add after 12 months (subject to the annual Junior ISA contribution limit) would switch first. Also when the fee free unit dividends pay each year you will end up reinvesting them into normal units after the first 12 months.

ps I started this new thread as the terms are slightly different than last time:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5775047

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 01-05-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Page 3
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 7,675 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am only keeping my GIA and DD's JISA long enough to keep the bonus. Every little helps but I am trying to simplify my financial life rather than make it more complicated.
    • djpix99
    • By djpix99 17th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    djpix99
    I haven't noticed anyone mention receiving their bonus since the offer returned, I just received my 100 bonus after investing into an ISA on 20/03/18.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 17th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    Alexland
    Yeah our 5th 100 bonus was invested in my ISA this week.

My son and wife's ISA/JISAs from early last tax year (which have proper money in) are both doing okay and I have topped up the JISA for this tax year so he now has circa 8.6k growing in fee-free units.

The pair of 200 adult GIAs we took out in Jan 18 (when previously GIAs were part of the offer) are showing a circa 8% loss but still clearly in profit against the original 100 contributions.

My (now) 200 ISA from this tax year is a few pennies up.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alexland; 17-04-2018 at 3:25 PM.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 17th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Hi. I was thinking of investing in a s&s isa and was looking into it this morning. I have regular savings and an emergency fund and we are also overpaying on our mortgage but was interested in putting some money into stocks and shares. I currently hold shares in Tesco (purchased via a saye scheme) and it has made me think more about investing.
    Would the orbis deal work for me. I basically want to have the money invested for me and all the hardworm done. As I don't know what I am doing. Would the orbis isa be an good for me. I also don't want to be investing too much at the moment maybe 100 a month to start with?
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 17th Apr 18, 3:54 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    Alexland
    Hi. I was thinking of investing in a s&s isa and was looking into it this morning. I have regular savings and an emergency fund and we are also overpaying on our mortgage but was interested in putting some money into stocks and shares. I currently hold shares in Tesco (purchased via a saye scheme) and it has made me think more about investing.
    Would the orbis deal work for me. I basically want to have the money invested for me and all the hardworm done. As I don't know what I am doing. Would the orbis isa be an good for me. I also don't want to be investing too much at the moment maybe 100 a month to start with?
    Originally posted by Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I don't see why it wouldn't work for you if you invest the first 100 before the offer deadline; it's a pretty simple website so they will do the 'hardworm'. However it's also worth considering if investing for retirement via your pension might be more beneficial.

With Orbis you would only need to decide if you want to invest in their Global Equity (high volatility) or Balanced (medium volatility) fund. They are contrarian investors so the underlying investments are going to be different to the benchmark so at times they will do better and other times they will do worse. It is a performance fee structure so when they do well it's expensive and when they do badly they refund. On average it will not be low-cost but they have a history of generating good long term returns.

I would imagine their current fund performance problems are partly down to Sberbank of Russia being a top 10 holding. My wife (who lived in Russia and once worked in a sugar factory) tells me that is is a very well respected bank and it makes up a large proportion of the Russian stock market however the Trump and Putin aggression is affecting its valuation at the moment.

My wife's factory bonus was paid in a free bag of sugar but the problem was that nearly everyone in the town worked in the same sugar factory and had also received a free bag of sugar so their bonuses were basically worthless.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alexland; 17-04-2018 at 4:04 PM.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 17th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    I haven't noticed anyone mention receiving their bonus since the offer returned, I just received my 100 bonus after investing into an ISA on 20/03/18.
    Originally posted by djpix99
    Note, it was confirmed that the bonus counts as a subscription to an S&S ISA in the tax year it is received, so you cant open another S&S ISA with new subscriptions this tax year
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 7,675 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Yeah our 5th 100 bonus was invested in my ISA this week.

My son and wife's ISA/JISAs from early last tax year (which have proper money in) are both doing okay and I have topped up the JISA for this tax year so he now has circa 8.6k growing in fee-free units.

The pair of 200 adult GIAs we took out in Jan 18 (when previously GIAs were part of the offer) are showing a circa 8% loss but still clearly in profit against the original 100 contributions.

My (now) 200 ISA from this tax year is a few pennies up.

Alex.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    DD's JISA has received the bonus too.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 17th Apr 18, 4:52 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    Alexland
    If only I could find 1,999 similar offers and we would have a million quid of cashback and bonuses!

We are still waiting for around 800 of cashback and bonuses from other financial products to come in.
    Last edited by Alexland; 17-04-2018 at 4:57 PM.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 17th Apr 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    If only I could find 1,999 similar offers and we would have a million quid of cashback and bonuses!

We are still waiting for around 800 of cashback and bonuses from other financial products to come in.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    What are they for?
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 17th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    Alexland
    What are they for?
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
    All sorts including going for the 125 each on the recent Moola GIA promotion, 125 First Direct switching (we just got the Natwest switching payouts), Zopa referals (circa 80 profit on a 1k loan repaid early), TopCashback on life insurance (circa 40 profit per policy), etc.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 7,675 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Am considering 100 each to referrer and referee for 500 investment in Kuflink.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 17th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Am considering 100 each to referrer and referee for 500 investment in Kuflink.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Previously was only 200 investment - although only 6-7.5%, they do take 20% first loss, which reduces LTV considerably and gives you more faith they believe in the investments

Quidco and TCB also have offers around 5% with no upper limit (slightly more if log into account on on TCB). However they normally dont track and people have had to chase these up

I have done 2x lots of 100 referrals so far as well as a TCB 5% (not together, but separate accounts and transactions)
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 17th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    Alexland
    Yes I was considering the 500 offer from Kuflink and there are credible members on the Referrals board willing to share at least 50 of their 100 with you too. Then after the cooling off period I could refer my wife. So that would be 350 on 2x500 of investments protecting against the first 35% of losses.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Apr 18, 6:12 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 7,675 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I had already got a generous 5.25% TCB on signup and have now referred DH. I am focusing on cashback rather than interest atm or I will bust the 1k limit and may have to do a tax return
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 18th Apr 18, 5:39 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Terry98
    I am focusing on cashback rather than interest atm or I will bust the 1k limit and may have to do a tax return
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I thought they just adjusted your code if you go over the limit.

Trying to work out when you get interest on the monthly savers and all the other bits and pieces would be a right pain.

The last thing I want is doing a tax return every year!
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th Apr 18, 10:04 AM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 7,675 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I hope that is the case. Have avoided the tax return for a few years now
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 26th Apr 18, 1:43 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    Alexland
    Just a quick bump on this to say there are only a few days left if anyone was thinking of taking this offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,453Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin