Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 15th Mar 18, 6:41 AM
    • 3,110Posts
    • 2,452Thanks
    Alexland
    Orbis 100 match offer - Now Ended
    • 15th Mar 18, 6:41 AM
    Orbis 100 match offer - Now Ended 15th Mar 18 at 6:41 AM
    Firstly, promise I am just a customer and not being paid or asked to plug this - I just think its a really good offer. Orbis are contrarian value investors and when investing your capital is at risk so this won't be for everyone.

Orbis are again running their invest 100 for a year and get a matched 100 (contributed into the account early next tax year) promotion and the offer expires on 30th April, The offer is open to new and existing customers opening a S&S ISA or Junior ISA (but sadly does not cover General Investment Accounts this time). You will not be able to get the ISA bonus for an ISA next tax year if you have already made an Orbis ISA contribution this tax year. To avoid bonus clawback the money needs to be invested in one of their 2 funds (they are focused) for at least a year.

https://www.orbis.com/uk/individual/home

https://www.orbis.com/uk/media/v63656540857/2433/matched-investment-march-2018-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Orbis are unique in only deducting a management fee on their 2 funds when outperforming the benchmarks and refunding when they underperform. If investing direct there are no platform fee or platform trade costs. In the meantime the fees sit inside reserve account for each fund from which Orbis draw their costs. Their investment strategy has delivered returns around 4% per year above the MSCI World index since they started in 1990 still past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Also on the Junior ISA any contributions in the first 12 months (which can be 2 full tax years of allowance plus any transfers in of Junior ISA or CTF accounts) go into fee-free units until the child is 18. The snag is that you cannot switch between the 2 funds after 12 months without loosing the fee-free unit status. However any additional units you add after 12 months (subject to the annual Junior ISA contribution limit) would switch first. Also when the fee free unit dividends pay each year you will end up reinvesting them into normal units after the first 12 months.

ps I started this new thread as the terms are slightly different than last time:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5775047

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 01-05-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Page 2
    • SamJ35
    • By SamJ35 20th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    SamJ35
    This question relates to both Orbis and Vanguard ISAs

Could I open up Orbis ISA before 5 April, deposit 100 to get the bonus, and then open Vanguard ISA after 5 April and contribute to both over the next tax year as long as I don't go over the 20k ISA limit?

On the vanguard account, I note that the monthly amount is 100, or 500 lump sum, but I want a little more flexibility with my deposits. I'm looking at maxing out my LISA first during the next tax year and then depositing left over money into the S&S ISA. Maybe a single S&S with Orbis would be better for me? I see the minimum investment with Orbis is 1. What is the minimum monthly payment?

Thanks!
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 7,951 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    You can only contribute to 1 ISA in a tax year
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 20th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 4,453 Thanks
    Zanderman
    ...Could I open up Orbis ISA before 5 April, deposit 100 to get the bonus, and then open Vanguard ISA after 5 April and contribute to both over the next tax year as long as I don't go over the 20k ISA limit?
    Originally posted by SamJ35
    The Orbis bonus won't be paid before 5th April. So when it is paid it will count towards next year's S&S ISA. So you won't, in that case, be able to open a Vanguard S&S ISA as you'll already be contributing to the Orbis one, albeit only by the bonus,

You can only contribute to one S&S ISA per financial year

That's as I understand it anyway...
    • SamJ35
    • By SamJ35 20th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    SamJ35
    You can only contribute to 1 ISA in a tax year
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    The Orbis bonus won't be paid before 5th April. So when it is paid it will count towards next year's S&S ISA. So you won't, in that case, be able to open a Vanguard S&S ISA as you'll already be contributing to the Orbis one, albeit only by the bonus,

You can only contribute to one S&S ISA per financial year

That's as I understand it anyway...
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    Many thanks both. So, multiple S&S ISAs allowed (opening 1 per year), but contributions can only be made to 1 per tax year.

I'll have to have a think whether I want to go with Orbis or Vanguard then!
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 20th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    Alexland
    You could do Vanguard for what's left of this tax year and Orbis for next tax year if you wanted?

However they both have very different approaches so the most important thing to decide is is you want mostly passive market performance or if you would rather go active for a good chance of beating the market with some risk you will not. Although Orbis are not very active in terms of portfolio churn they are stock pickers.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 20-03-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 20th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    Herbalus
    The way to do this would be to open orbis and deposit funds after April 6th but before April 30th. That would mean all S&S money next financial year would have to be Orbis at the price (good or bad) of the 100 bonus.

For me that would mean pausing my 100/month into Vanguard until April 2019. Not concluded whether that is right for me yet. Could either only contribute the orbis minimum and build up regular amounts outside ISA for lump sum in April 2019 into vanguard, or continue my regular amounts into orbis, with view to possibly transferring back to vanguard in April 2019.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 20th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    You can open the Orbis ISA via a transfer from any type of ISA (it doesnt count as a subscription like "new money" would) and it wont count towards your restriction of only subscribing to one of each type of ISA limit in a tax year

So if you haven't already opened another S&S ISA in this tax year (or next tax year), you would be free to do so, by opening the Orbis ISA via a transfer
    • msallen
    • By msallen 20th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    msallen
    You can open the Orbis ISA via a transfer from any type of ISA (it doesnt count as a subscription like "new money" would) and it wont count towards your restriction of only subscribing to one of each type of ISA limit in a tax year

So if you haven't already opened another S&S ISA in this tax year (or next tax year), you would be free to do so, by opening the Orbis ISA via a transfer
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
    You can transfer an ISA yes, but the 100 bonus will still count as a subscription to next years S&S ISA with them leaving you unable to subscribe to one elsewhere during the 18/19 tax year.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 6th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    cjv
    Just checking the terms and It is not really clear to me, does anyone know if I invest say 2000 and get 100 matched bonus... could I then, if needed, withdraw 1900 (assuming 0% growth/loss) without having to wait a whole year?
    • Cash-Strapped.T32
    • By Cash-Strapped.T32 6th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Cash-Strapped.T32
    Well, handy this thread is on the first page...

Just popped in to say I've contributed my first 100 to the global equity fund - I actually opened the S&S ISA about a fortnight ago, but the Ts&Cs weren't the clearest, so I decided to wait until the 6th to actually make the contribution.

Compared to my LISA I'm not really comitting too much to it - 100 p/month, but of the two, this is likley to be the obe that is most nteresting to watch how it develops...
    (particularly to see how it does if the rest of my investments don't fair so well every time a certain president hits send on his twatter app! )
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 8th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    Alexland
    Just checking the terms and It is not really clear to me, does anyone know if I invest say 2000 and get 100 matched bonus... could I then, if needed, withdraw 1900 (assuming 0% growth/loss) without having to wait a whole year?
    Originally posted by cjv
    Yes if you wanted although over such a short investment timeline it's almost 50/50 if you would have made or lost money in the period. The key thing if withdrawing is to ensure that 200 remains invested for the 12 months. Although in practice you don't know the sale price of a fund when you place the sell order so you might want to leave a bit more invested just to be safe.

It's not a Flexible ISA so any withdrawal would not be able to be added back in without again counting towards your 20k annual ISA limit.

I just opened my new year ISA with Orbis for my family's 5th 100 bonus. We now have 3 accounts (my ISA and 2 GIAs from the previous offer) where we have only contributed the 100 minimum and 2 accounts which we are actually made meaningful contributions (my wife's ISA and my son's Junior ISA). My ISA will get used during the year but the GIAs will be closed a few weeks after 12 months. Am undecided if we are keeping the ISAs for longer than required.

I have just filled my son's Junior ISA so we have 2 tax years of contributions running in fee-free Global Equity fund units until he is 18 although we may derisk using a Vanguard target date fund when he is about 10ish depending on market conditions.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 08-04-2018 at 1:58 PM.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 8th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Is there anyway of doing this AND still open up a new S&S ISA?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 8th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 7,951 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Not unless you open the other one, transfer it to Orbis by the deadline and then get the bonus - but it would probably be too slow and why would you?
    • thenewcomer
    • By thenewcomer 9th Apr 18, 6:27 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    thenewcomer
    i had an isa with orbis and received the 100 quids bonus last tax year. could i open a new isa account with them and get another 100 quids bonus?
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Apr 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    Alexland
    i had an isa with orbis and received the 100 quids bonus last tax year. could i open a new isa account with them and get another 100 quids bonus?
    Originally posted by thenewcomer
    If it was an ISA then the terms are clear you would not get a second bonus. If it was from a GIA then my reading of the terms are that you would have been able to get another bonus on an ISA this time.

Alex.
    • firestone
    • By firestone 10th Apr 18, 10:40 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    firestone
    feature on Trustnet today about the Orbis Balanced fund
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 10th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Not unless you open the other one, transfer it to Orbis by the deadline and then get the bonus - but it would probably be too slow and why would you?
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Apparently the bonus is counted as a new subscription in that tax year , even if the initial opening balance is a transfer
    • Cash-Strapped.T32
    • By Cash-Strapped.T32 12th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Cash-Strapped.T32
    Quick question for anyone who is contributing to Orbis regularly, rather than just dropping the minimum 100 & taking the matched hundred...

So when I made my initial 100 contribution I did so via debit card (I like the direct manual control, rather than relying on standing orders).
    However it took a good 3x working days for this payment to clear into the account.

I notice there is also an option to make a BACs transfer from your nominated bank acct into the S&S ISA, so I'm wondering, is this instant, or does it also take several days for a direct bank transfer to authorise so that it can be invested?

Waiting a few days for it to clear isn't the end of the world, but obviously instant is more convenient.
    Has anyone used this method to make contributions to Orbis?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Cash-Strapped.T32; 12-04-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 12th Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Quick question for anyone who is contributing to Orbis regularly, rather than just dropping the minimum 100 & taking the matched hundred...

So when I made my initial 100 contribution I did so via debit card (I like the direct manual control), rather than relying on standing orders).
    However it took a good 3x working days for this payment to clear into the account.

I notice there is also an option to make a BACs transfer from your nominated bank acct into the S&S ISA, so I'm wondering, is this instant, or does it also take several days for a direct bank transfer to authorise so that it can be invested?

Waiting a few days for it to clear isn't the end of the world, but obviously instant is more convenient.
    Has anyone used this method to make contributions to Orbis?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Cash-Strapped.T32
    I make auto monthly contributions from current account which show as an auto visa purchase on the bank account.

They take 2-3 working days to be invested into a non ISA across two funds.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 12th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    Alexland
    Orbis' equity fund has had a bit of a rough time in the past month down 6.21% compared to the MSCI World index down 5.19%. The drop is more noticeable in the 'fee-free' Junior ISA units as the fee refund mechanism helps keep the normal units more stable. Still over the past 12 months the normal units are around 3% higher (and 4% up overall) compared to the benchmark.

Pretty much decided to keep Orbis for the fee-free Junior ISA now with future child monthly savings going into Monks IT via the Baillie Gifford CSP. Once the 12 months are up I will withdraw the GIAs and transfer the ISAs to Jarvis XO to invest the money in Bankers and maybe Witan ITs assuming they are trading at a reasonable price relative to NAV.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alexland; 12-04-2018 at 1:30 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,690Posts Today

8,240Users online

Martin's Twitter