Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FixedIncome
    • By FixedIncome 14th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FixedIncome
    Unberable noise from an electric generator
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    Unberable noise from an electric generator 14th Mar 18 at 11:38 PM
    Hello,

in front of my house on the other side of the road an electric generator has been recently installed for an emergency supply in two houses, caused by an electrical failure across the road under the pavement.

The generator has been running 24/24h for 5 days and it produces a lot of noise that is Unbearable in my flat. I phoned and complained with the local council but nothing happened.

I am really getting crazy because of unstoppable noise and I am also planning to move.

can I ask a compensation for this issue? if Yes, how? ... I am new to UK, don't know how these things work.

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    • 16,414 Posts
    • 41,471 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    It's a temporary measure. What do you expect them to do - leave the two houses with no electricity? Have you tried contacting the network operator to get a timescale on the works?

http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 14th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    Wear earplugs and no there's no compensation due.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 20,164 Posts
    • 11,106 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    I am also planning to move.
    Originally posted by FixedIncome
    Very wise.
    Be sure to move somewhere quiet.

As an alternative, have you considered ear plugs?
    • FixedIncome
    • By FixedIncome 15th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FixedIncome
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    It's a temporary measure. What do you expect them to do - leave the two houses with no electricity? Have you tried contacting the network operator to get a timescale on the works?
    Originally posted by elsien
    I am just asking for a compensation since I've got a damage and their solution is very bad.
    Never seen a monster like that in my country for an temporary electricity supply of only 2 houses!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 16,868 Posts
    • 17,894 Thanks
    zx81
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    What is this damage?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 15th Mar 18, 8:52 AM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 1,649 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:52 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:52 AM
    The Supply Company will not want this generator there any more than you do - they will complete the repair soon.

These things happen.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

874Posts Today

6,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin