Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AJS321
    • By AJS321 14th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 10Thanks
    AJS321
    Help! What would you do in this situation?
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    Help! What would you do in this situation? 14th Mar 18 at 10:38 PM
    Hi.

I started my job in May 2017 on a 9 month temp contract. Got a signed contract which ended in mid Feb 2018 and everything was well and good.

Back in October my manager advised me to apply for a vacancy on another team in the same office where Iíd be doing a similar job, just on a permanent basis. I applied and went for an interview with the manager of the team I thought Iíd be moving to. A week later this manager informed me that Iíd excelled at the interview and theyíd be delighted to make me permanent. However, another temp on this other team had applied for the same position. So the job I wanted was give to them but they said I could carry on in my current job on a permanent basis and the managers of both teams congratulated me on this.

My manager said heíd get the paperwork sorted with HR who work in a different office so everything could be made official. However, this was back in October and although Iíve raised it at every monthly appraisal meeting since then, nothing has been forthcoming.

My big concern is that if I was still on my temp contract I would have finished work on 16th Feb, so itís possible that for the last 3 and a half weeks I may not have actually been employed by the company and Iím none the wiser about it. All Iíve got to go on is a verbal assurance from two managers back in October that I was now working on a permanent basis.

We get paid 4 weekly and our next pay day is Friday 16th March, so this will be my first pay day since my old contract ended. My worry is that I wonít be getting paid because the paperwork for my new contract might not have been processed by HR yet and they could be under the impression I no longer work for the company.

I know this is only a worst case scenario, but if I donít get paid on Friday, I really donít know what to do as a reaction to it. Obviously things canít go as they are (I need money to live), but a colleague suggested that I should refuse to turn up for work on Monday and tell them Iím not coming back until itís resolved. But I feel thatís a but of an extreme course of action and it willonly damage the relationship between me and my boss when all I want is for my contract to be sorted out.

Obviously Iíll mention it to my boss, but heís been dragging his feet on this for so long now Iím not sure if any action will be taken straight away.

Does anyone have any advice?
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 8,990 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    Well if you don't get paid, then I certainly wouldn't not turn turn up ...ruddy hell thats the worst thing you could do.

If you don't get paid on Friday then you need to speak to your manager immediately & get him to ring HR there & then, not only to sort out an emergency payment but a contract as well.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    Ring payroll/HR in the morning and ask them to confirm that you are being paid on Friday - or wait till Friday to see if you are paid.

While it's easy to say don't worry (I know I am a worrier!) the overwhelming likelihood is that you will be paid.

Only if you are not paid start thinking about what to do next. In that case the advice by gettingthere above is good.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 14th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    Do you have to log your hours? for instance do you scan/clock in?

If it's a big company you won't be forgotten about.

I am in a situation where I lose a week's holiday pay where it conveniently got forgotten to manage holiday and (what they would like to have done with the new holiday years allowance isn't repeatable or thinkable to the point where I no longer see the benefit in being an 'employee') - my folks just said I'd have to say would you lose a week's pay to the powers that be. Though take any emotion out of it - My Dad just said log on to the portal book it and let them get on with it. I imagine it to be the same with any process that see's you log the hours or sign into a company premises - someone has to deal with it.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • AJS321
    • By AJS321 14th Mar 18, 11:19 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AJS321
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:19 PM
    Thank you. That would be the easy thing to do, but our HR department are in a different office and HR matters are usually dealt with by managers on our behalf.
    • AJS321
    • By AJS321 14th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AJS321
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    Do you have to log your hours? for instance do you scan/clock in?

If it's a big company you won't be forgotten about.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    We used to, but we moved to a new system a few weeks ago. Our shift patterns are stored on a computer systems and itís assumed that we work the hours that are on the system unless we (or our managers) log on and amend it to take account of things like sickness and annual leave.

Clocking in and out on the door is only done for the fire registers.

But annoyingly, I canít actually get onto this computer system because IT gave me the wrong log in details, and my manager is also dragging his feet when it comes to getting this sorted with head office.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 15th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    Thank you. That would be the easy thing to do, but our HR department are in a different office and HR matters are usually dealt with by managers on our behalf.
    Originally posted by AJS321
    Surely you can still ring them, though?

What about payroll? Is this outsourced? Have you a number for them?

To be honest, given you are so close to pay day it may be easiest just to hang on till then.
    • Afternoonnapper
    • By Afternoonnapper 15th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Afternoonnapper
    • 15th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    You must be able to contact them - what is the problem you had was with your manager? Speak to them and find out what is going on.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 8,362 Posts
    • 6,179 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 15th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    Our shift patterns are stored on a computer systems and itís assumed that we work the hours that are on the system unless we (or our managers) log on and amend it to take account of things like sickness and annual leave.
    If you and your shift pattern are on the system, I wouldn't panic.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 15th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 6,375 Thanks
    74jax
    But it's your personal situation. That doesn't go through a manager surely? Just phone HR, I would never go through my manager to get to HR.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • AJS321
    • By AJS321 17th Mar 18, 11:31 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AJS321
    Good news. My wages were paid as normal yesterday and I spoke to my manager who has now managed to get me logged on to our holiday booking system and has said he will have another go at getting my contract sorted with HR.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 17th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 6,686 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    But it's your personal situation. That doesn't go through a manager surely? Just phone HR, I would never go through my manager to get to HR.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    Some companies will only speak to managers. Having every member of staff contacting HR can be very time consuming.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin