Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hippo
    • By Hippo 14th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Hippo
    What Single CCTV camera to move around the house?
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    What Single CCTV camera to move around the house? 14th Mar 18 at 10:36 PM
    Need some advice and recommendations.

We already have a house alarm. At the moment I don't really want to go down the full CCTV route but instead would like to try out a single camera, one that I could move around the house. So first requirement is wireless.

My intention is to leave it on a windowsill pointing out through the window to keep an eye on the front door, or the cars, or around the back pointing out to the garden.

Ideally to record to the cloud on motion

Any pointers would be great
Page 1
    • googler
    • By googler 14th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 9,692 Thanks
    googler
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    I would recommend the Arlo system, but you need to mount the camera outside to detect motion outside.

This may well apply to other systems too. Not sure how you detect motion through a closed window.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,499 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    I'd go for one of the Nest Cams but it sounds like you really want an outdoor one for optimal performance as they sense people coming and going and highlight the activity (and message you). If it's through a window then it can't sense the movement.

We've recently bought three. They're amazing. It's third house we've had cameras on but the cheapest system and the easiest to use. You can talk to people outside with them too as it has a speaker accessed through your phone so you can pretend to be home when you're not. 189 of magic.

They move on so quickly though. Just read that they're introducing the video doorbell too and it connects to Google Home for some reason.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 14-03-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Jaymie kate
    • By Jaymie kate 14th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Jaymie kate
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    I have the wbox 3 mp dome camera outside of our house. It has infrared and built to record directly to an sd card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,326Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin