Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 14th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 8Thanks
    IvyJay
    Problems with HP Printer
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    Problems with HP Printer 14th Mar 18 at 10:17 PM
    Hi Guys

I have a HP Photosmart Series B109 printer and for the last few months I've been unable to print. I've bought HP ink cartridges but each time I insert a new one a message appears saying that a cartridge is missing or it's empty. Today, I searched online for HP support and came across the following site:

https://hp.supportnumber.uk/

Does anyone know if this is a genuine site? When I dialled the UK number I noticed that the ringtone changed to an overseas ringtone and then it was answered by a man. I explained why I was calling and he asked for some details about the printer, the serial number and product number. He then went on to say that he could see on his system that I'm calling from Colorado (I'm in the UK) and he asked me to confirm that my name was "Jane Smith" so I just said yes because I wanted to hear what other information he was going to ask for.

He then went on to say that he could help me and asked me to go to chrome: join.zoho.com so that he could remotely access my computer. At this point I made some excuse and hung up as I felt very uneasy about giving him access. I watch documentaries about the different ways that scammers steal information and money from innocent people so I'm always on my guard.

What are you thoughts on this? Was I being over-cautious?
Page 1
    • islandman
    • By islandman 14th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    islandman
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    I have a HP printer with all details required to contact them, however I'm in bed now, will come back to you tomorrow.
    Bowel screening saved my life, make sure it saves yours.
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 14th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    Ok. Thanks for replying.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 31,704 Posts
    • 19,993 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    The proper hp support website I found from google just by searching hp support, its the first link.

The website you link too as far as I can tell isnt the real site.

You did the right thing in hanging up.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 14-03-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 14th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    Thanks.

I was being impatient because I did find the HP customer service number but was on hold for nearly 10 minutes so then I searched for another number and found the fake one. They answered immediately but it didn't sound genuine hence I hung up. I'm no techie but I couldn't see how giving him access to my computer was going to help solve my printer problem.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 14th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    • 8,535 Posts
    • 6,443 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    Start here perhaps https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-photosmart-wireless-all-in-one-printer-series-b109/3794623
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 14th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    Thank you for the link.
    • islandman
    • By islandman 15th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    islandman
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    It has to be said, that if I had know what I know now, I may not have bought HP. In my experience, they seem to direct users of their product to their forum to seek advice.

Secondly, on purchase, you are given two options for ink. Either purchase as and when required from whoever sells HP ink, or use their offer of paying a set amount to them each month, and they will supply ink as and when needed. I elected the cheapest option of 1.99 per month which allows approx 50 A4 sheets a month. That was in November 2016. Since then, they have taken their monthly 1.99 and as yet, apart from the initial supply of ink, nothing. They say that is because their cartridges contain above average. If I had taken any of the other options which gave more printed sheets per month at a higher monthly rate, I would be fuming. Once this original set of ink cartridges use up, I may well stop my contract and dump the printer.

In hindsight, I do not like the idea of them taking money month after month.

Being somewhat elusive is also not to my personal liking. If my links will help, then good. Ideally it would be great if you keep us informed of progress.

These are a few links you should follow:-

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact-hp or

Helpline is open:-
    Mon to Fri, 8.30 -18.00
    UK !!!8211; 027 660 0596
    Eire !!!8211; 01 533 9808
    Last edited by islandman; 15-03-2018 at 8:21 AM.
    Bowel screening saved my life, make sure it saves yours.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 15th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 15th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 10:47 AM

What are you thoughts on this?
    Originally posted by IvyJay

Your instincts were correct - you dodged a bullet ..

Iv just had them tell me very confidently that they can help me defrag my SSD
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 4,333 Thanks
    DoaM
    HP Print and Scan Doctor ... have you tried downloading and running that?

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/topic/printscandoctor
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 15th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    Thanks guys for all your replies.

Doam, I haven't but I'll check it out. Island, I definitely don't like the idea of making monthly payments. Maybe it's time for me to research other printers and dump HP.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 15th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    This is your printer. Worth following. e.g.
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-photosmart-wireless-all-in-one-printer-series-b109/3794623/document/c01458034
    e.g. hope you've removed the orange tab; then try a printer reset.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 16th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    Thanks Grumpy. I did remove the orange tab.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 16th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 10,027 Posts
    • 9,922 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Yes, the link from Post #1 is a "third party repairer" doing a reasonable and rather naughty impersonation of HP. (On my browser, the layout is broken, which is something of a clue).

Here's the disclaimer from their "contact" page:-

Take ownership of the technical problems with HP devices is our work; we are not associated with HP official website in any way. We are the legitimate third party service provider for HP devices that quickly understand the problem and offer a right solution within time. So far, we never mislead customers by fake promises, we believe in offering legible tech support solution and never disrupting any others business brand for HP or any of its brands.
    Sheer poetry...

I particularly like "So far, we never mislead customers by fake promises...". So far, but who knows what the future may bring.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 16-03-2018 at 5:44 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 18th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    Thanks for replying. The website did look a bit dodgy to me so that's why I was on my guard when I phoned.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 16th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    ballyblack
    that is for USA customer support not UK
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 16th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    that is for USA customer support not UK
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    It wasn't for HP either.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,794Posts Today

7,004Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin