Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dirty_Berty
    • By Dirty_Berty 14th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Dirty_Berty
    Party wall agreement question
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    Party wall agreement question 14th Mar 18 at 10:08 PM
    Hi all

So Iíve decided to go ahead with a loft conversion (with a lot of advice from you all in a previous thread - thanks

However having researched more I have discovered the wonders of the party wall agreement act!

I have a strange set up in my house where I have one neighbour to the side and one behind. See attached images... Iím the red box

Now I would imagine the neighbour to my right (blue box) shares the wall with me as we share a roof and thereís just breeze block separating our lofts.

However the neighbour behind me (green) doesnít? Their roof runs onto mine, but doesnít have a wall between.

Am I right in thinking that I only need to worry about Mr Blue Box and not Mr Green Box?

Iím a noob member so not allowed to post links to the images... so hereís a go. Please remove the spaces to make it work:

https: //drive.google. com/open?id=1huG0ULzyrCRnsVlXVHw5d4Yf5Vk_2Cur
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 14th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1huG0ULzyrCRnsVlXVHw5d4Yf5Vk_2Cur/view
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 15th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    What actual part of the loft conversion do you think is covered by the Party Wall Act? Usually it is just cutting beams in to the party wall.

If there is no wall between your loft and rear neighbour I assume it is one open loft space, you can crawl from your loft to theirs? If you are creating a new room in your loft you will have to erect a new fire resistant separating wall.
    • Dirty_Berty
    • By Dirty_Berty 15th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dirty_Berty
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    What actual part of the loft conversion do you think is covered by the Party Wall Act? Usually it is just cutting beams in to the party wall.

If there is no wall between your loft and rear neighbour I assume it is one open loft space, you can crawl from your loft to theirs? If you are creating a new room in your loft you will have to erect a new fire resistant separating wall.
    Originally posted by teneighty
    No there is no opening between myself and the neighbour behind. Essentially mine is just a normal contained loft. The neighbour behindís roof just runs onto mine I guess but you wouldnít know that from the inside.

I was just checking if the fact that our roofs meet and touch isnít going to cause me any issues with permission?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 16th Mar 18, 12:00 AM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 16th Mar 18, 12:00 AM
    • 16th Mar 18, 12:00 AM
    There does not seem then to be a party wall between you and Green then so providing you are not disturbing the join between you it would not seem to come under the PWA.

However depending on the construction separating you and Green's loft, as said above, they may well be work required for fire separation etc.

I would notify Green of what your doing in advance anyway so that any concerns are on the table and don't crop up the day builders start crawling all over your roof.
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 16th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 16th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 16th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    No there is no opening between myself and the neighbour behind. Essentially mine is just a normal contained loft. The neighbour behindís roof just runs onto mine I guess but you wouldnít know that from the inside.

I was just checking if the fact that our roofs meet and touch isnít going to cause me any issues with permission?
    Originally posted by Dirty_Berty
    That makes no senses. If your house is the red square on the photo and the rear neighbour is the green square there must either be a wall where the red and green lines touch or there must be a continuous loft space between the two house. I'm guessing the sarking felt has been laid all the way down your roof slope so you just cannot see into that part of your loft area on the other side of the roof valley.

However, if you are not touching that wall/area because the roof valley makes the headroom too low then I cannot see how it would fall under the Party Wall Act. But bear in mind my previous comments about still requiring fire and sound and thermal separation between your converted loft and adjoining lofts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,301Posts Today

7,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin