Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 14th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 183Thanks
    diggingdude
    Wondering where I stand
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    Wondering where I stand 14th Mar 18 at 9:53 PM
    Hello
    work for a local authority, incident/dates changed a little so not immediately identifyable.

I had a car accident in October. After a long stay in hospital I returned home but was signed off until near the end of this month. Doctors agree I can go back to work which is what I wanted. Contacted employers late Feb about coming back (no issues with manager, been really supportive). They want to do an Occy Health referral but earliest date is 6 weeks+ after the end of my sicknote. I am really reluctant to try get another sick note as feel ready to be working, albeit in a reduced capacity initially due to a physical impairment. Work have known for more than a month about a return officially and unofficially since mid Jan that return would be around now. I have been on stat sick pay for the last 3 weeks. But wouldn;t be able to get a doctors appointment for at least 3 weeks, 7 week waiting list here at the moment so not sure how i would even get a sick note)

I guess I am asking can I insist they take me back unless they can prove why not? I am guessing I won't get sick pay without a sicknote and I don't believe I should be getting another when all medical advice is go back to work.

If I am off with no pay as they won't let back until occy health have assessed do I have a right to terminate my contract. I don't want to but I am in a high demand job and having spoken to two agencies I would not have a problem getting work within a week. Hate the thought of doing that but bills have to be paid.

I had a number of days leave untaken in the last holiday year due to being in hospital. I have been informed, hopefully reliably, that I am still entitled to them as was medically signed off. I would be happy to take these during a waiting period but dont want to use a lot of this years (we run Jan-Christmas) and be in negative equity as such.

I hope this makes some sense. If I sound like I am knocking my employer I am really not, love it there, want to be back, and within my team at least am genuinely wanted back
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 38,480 Posts
    • 35,149 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    I am guessing that despite working for a local authority you are not a member of a union, which is a shame because the best advice would be 'talk to your union'.

I think - not 100% certain - that if your GP says you are fit, but work don't want you back, then they have to pay you.

And yes, you could take your leave from last year before returning so I'd start by talking to your manager, asking to take the leave from last year (good for them as they probably won't want you to have more than a year's leave to take in the next nine months), and getting them to check that if all you're waiting for is the OH appointment, should you not be returned to the payroll?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 14th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    Thanks Savvy_sue
    I was a member of a union but let it lapse last Easter as had been a member for years and never used it etc.....sods law and all that so its my own fault. I am speaking to manager again tomorrow so will see what is said
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 15th Mar 18, 12:08 AM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:08 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:08 AM
    Tell your employers you will be fit for work from whatever date your sick note runs out. The next steps are up to them. If nescesary turn up at work and try to start your shift. Don't just accept a verbal instruction to stay off sick if you feel you can work.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 15th Mar 18, 6:48 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 15th Mar 18, 6:48 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 6:48 AM
    But wouldn;t be able to get a doctors appointment for at least 3 weeks, 7 week waiting list here at the moment so not sure how i would even get a sick note
    Originally posted by diggingdude
    For what it's worth, you can possibly organise this over the phone, if it's just an extension of a known problem, you probably don't need to see the doc in person, my husband's just done that. As long as you or someone else can collect the physical paper from reception once it's done.

The fit notes have the option to mark you as fit to work with some allowances - such as altered hours, reduced duties etc. which might give you some alternative options to consider - this is what my husband has just now. This might require a phone chat with the doc if it's a change to what you've had before, but if it's anything like our practice, a phone consult is much easier to secure than an appointment.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 16th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • 16th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    • 16th Mar 18, 12:05 AM
    great advice thanks all, I spoke to them today, they are looking to put some things in place so I can go back next week. Can't believe I am cheering to go to work
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Mar 18, 12:54 AM
    • 38,480 Posts
    • 35,149 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 16th Mar 18, 12:54 AM
    • 16th Mar 18, 12:54 AM
    I was a member of a union but let it lapse last Easter as had been a member for years and never used it etc.....sods law and all that so its my own fault. I am speaking to manager again tomorrow so will see what is said
    Originally posted by diggingdude
    Might be time to revisit that decision then!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin