Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • junkie_ball
    • By junkie_ball 14th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 0Thanks
    junkie_ball
    Expenses Frustration
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    Expenses Frustration 14th Mar 18 at 8:45 PM
    Ok firstly let me give you some slight history. I was asked to undertake a sight visit and my manager said i could use my own vehicle and claim the mileage as the companies pool car is falling to bits and like sitting in a dustbin. Ok i thought so i went on the companies intranet to check the pence per mile they pay as i don't normally claim mileage expenses. Below is what the company guide lines are

Business Journeys

Mileage should be claimed at the appropriate rate for your car. If you drive a company car these are the HMRC advisory fuel rates for your vehicle fuel type and engine size. If you use your own car for business purposes the HMRC rate is 45p for the first 10,000 miles of the tax year and 25p thereafter.

Journeys to and from home to your usual place of work are not reclaimable under HMRC rules.
    Ensure you keep all of your fuel receipts to submit with your expenses claim.

If you are travelling to the same destination with a colleague then please, wherever possible, make arrangements to car share.
    As i was using my own vehicle i filled in the companies business expense form and used the form for the first 10,000 business miles which also said 45p per mile and my manager signed it off. My manager today said he's had a call from hr to say i had completed the wrong form as they would only pay 25p per mile. I showed my manager both the expenses guidelines and expenses form still live on the companies intranet form and agreed with me it reads like it should be 45p per mile.

He spoke to hr on my behave and then came back and said the guidance is being changed but before putting on the companies intranet it's awaiting for the directors to sign it off. My view if it's not signed off yet whatever is currently live on the intranet and was live at the time of the journey should still stand. My manager has basically washed his hands of it and said he hasn't got time to mess around with something so trivial and lets learn from this time and move on. It's not even the fact i'm not covering the cost of fuel for the journey its more the principle of the issue that the information which is currently on our companies intranet aligns with HRMC's guidance and they are saying its wrong. Do they have to adhere to the information they are giving their employees? If so i'd like to raise this as an issue but not sure who to go too as organisational structure within the business i report to the managing director (the one who's washed his hands of it) and he reports to the board of director of our parent company.
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 8,968 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    I think (so in other words someone needs to confirm this!) that if the 25p per mile rate is used then so long as you haven't gone over the 10,000 mile limit, you can claim the difference (ie 20p) back via the taxman
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 14th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    How many miles was the journey(s) you are claiming for?
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 14th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    gettingtheresometime

Not quite. You can claim tax relief on the additional 20p/mile.

Depending on the op's income and tax situation the tax relief will be anywhere from 0p to 9p per mile. Most commonly 4p (20p x 20%).
    • junkie_ball
    • By junkie_ball 14th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    junkie_ball
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    How many miles was the journey(s) you are claiming for?
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    The trip was 300 miles. Like i said personally not to bothered about the money more frustrated i feel like the company is offering misleading information and the lack of seemingly approachable people i can discuss it with within the company. I've worked for the company for almost 16 years and in recent years some of the long standing group directors have retired and since then information flow to employees doesn't seem as good as it once was.

gettingtheresometime

Not quite. You can claim tax relief on the additional 20p/mile.

Depending on the op's income and tax situation the tax relief will be anywhere from 0p to 9p per mile. Most commonly 4p (20p x 20%).
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    I am aware i can claim for tax relief on the other 20p but the effort it will take to do hardly seems worth it.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 14th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 25,290 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    12 (depending on circumstances of the OP) can be claimed from the tax man.

If they've been there longer than 2 years, it may be worth fighting it, as I agree it isn't in force until it's been signed off. The fact that it's on the intranet and that a form was available should IMO mean there is a contractual entitlement to the extra 60.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,029Posts Today

7,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin