Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsDay83
    • By MrsDay83 14th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrsDay83
    Mortgage Offer Received - Car Insurance due
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    Mortgage Offer Received - Car Insurance due 14th Mar 18 at 7:59 PM
    Hi, new to forums. We are in the process of moving and received our mortgage offer on Friday. Our car insurance renewal is due this week, but our mortgage advisor has put in their offer email the following:
    "I must also state that we have informed you that making any future changes to your credit profile before completion could affect your mortgage offer. This includes but is not limited to opening a bank account, taking out a credit card, applying for personal loans, obtaining online insurance quotes and not maintaining payments on current credit commitments."

Is this true?? Or is it to make you take out the buildings and contents insurance through them rather than finding our own?
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 14th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 10,456 Posts
    • 4,130 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    Credit searches have become a feature of insurance quotations in recent years. We frequently see multiple searches on the files from comparison websites.

I would not expect such a set of searches to compromise your offer unless you were very marginal but avoiding such searches is the safe approach.

You could just renew with your current provider, but argue with them first to get down the inflated renewal figure they are sure to give you.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 14th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    If you do want to search for car insurance online, you could use "dummy" details to get an idea of which providers would give the best option, then go directly to your chosen provider. Do you currently pay monthly for the car insurance?

I would also consider the fact that the new property could be a completely different premium to the old property. You could consider getting quotes at both postcodes from any potential providers.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • Richard_Pia
    • By Richard_Pia 14th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Richard_Pia
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    Nothing to worry about I would say. In over 10 years of advising on mortgages I've never known for a car insurance search to cause a mortgage offer to be withdrawn. The only thing a lender could be concerned about is if the new premium is significantly more expensive, as this could impact affordability. Even then it is unlikely they would make any enquiries into this.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin