Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Is it normal for tenant to replace a broken boiler

Yes - itís normal for a tenant to replace an old broken boiler

19.54% • 17 votes

No - Itís NOT normal ( a landlord would always be the one to replace an old broken boiler)

77.01% • 67 votes

Unsure

3.45% • 3 votes

You may not vote on this poll

87 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 62Thanks
    Moogles44
    Please delete as ruined by trolls
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    Please delete as ruined by trolls 14th Mar 18 at 7:28 PM
    Dont worry with this , it!!!8217;s worthlesss now

I!!!8217;ll try and delete it
    Last edited by Moogles44; 15-03-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Page 2
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,898 Posts
    • 2,780 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I voted yes! Ask a silly question and all that.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 14th Mar 18, 11:18 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Moogles44
    It!!!8217;s so weird, Martin Lewis is such a happy nice bloke and created this site to help others and it sadly has so many miserable people on it.

I do have legal advice and sorry if it hurt your fingers pressing a button.. pass on by this post if you don!!!8217;t like it! No one is holding a gun to your head to make you comment or vote!

This may have helped me with a certain thing ( with other evidence) keep my home that I!!!8217;ve always lived in , but like above , even though I said it was important you vote yes for a laugh or like another person said, because they wanted to vote yes because I wasn!!!8217;t explaining straight away. Seriously my 5 year old is more mature.

Don!!!8217;t bother voting anymore anyone as like half the threads it just gets nasty . I could write a thread saying isn!!!8217;t it a beautiful day and people would moan on here or be nasty .

Thanks for all the genuine votes though whether they were yes or no, appreciated
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 14th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 5,676 Thanks
    kinger101
    It!!!8217;s so weird, Martin Lewis is such a happy nice bloke and created this site to help others
    Originally posted by Moogles44
    But you're not helping anyone, whereas the majority of posters on here do.

Hopefully a moderator will move this to some obscure place, as clearly you have no interest in the legal answer to the question.
    Last edited by kinger101; 14-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 14th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Moogles44
    But you're not helping anyone, whereas the majority of posters on here do.

Hopefully a moderator will move this to some obscure place, as clearly you have no interest in the legal answer to the question.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    I didn!!!8217;t ask for a legal answer. It!!!8217;s House buying and renting thread. I wanted to know if it was viewed by the majority as general maintenance that a tenant would always do as I was told it was .

And I help on threads that I know about and in real life, I thought this is how this worked on here.
    Thanks so much though
    Last edited by Moogles44; 15-03-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    If you donít like a thread or post just move on by.

Never a need to be ugly
    • Plus
    • By Plus 15th Mar 18, 12:21 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    Plus
    Did the tenant shoot it with a shotgun? Tenant replaces.
    Did the tenant run over it with an HGV? Tenant replaces.
    Did the tenant tear it into tiny pieces? Tenant replaces.
    Did the boiler break not through the tenant being utterly reckless? Landlord replaces.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 15th Mar 18, 12:35 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    Did the tenant shoot it with a shotgun? Tenant replaces.
    Did the tenant run over it with an HGV? Tenant replaces.
    Did the tenant tear it into tiny pieces? Tenant replaces.
    Did the boiler break not through the tenant being utterly reckless? Landlord replaces.
    Originally posted by Plus
    I would argue the landlord replaces in all instances (they are responsible for it being safe and to ensure it is they should use their own contractor), but where it is down to wilful damage or recklessness then that is rechargeable.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 18, 3:41 AM
    • 26,948 Posts
    • 10,850 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Nobody voted for UNSURE so i did
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 15th Mar 18, 4:17 AM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 7,542 Thanks
    deannatrois
    It seems to me from experience that if a boiler is in any way repairable the LL doesn't have to replace even though it 'should' be because it constantly breaks down, is expensive to run and doesn't provide proper heat due to age. Having lived in a private rental property with such a situation, and two other properties with new boilers, I know the benefits the new boilers gave (warm property, much cheaper bills).

In spite of two promises in the private rental that the boiler would be replaced if X happened, and it wasn't when X did happen, you can't 'make' the LL replace the boiler if it is in any way repairable. You can if it isn't. But it will take time if the LL isn't willing and you have to force the issue.

I am sorry I can't see the point in the poll as there is a clear legal obligation if the boiler isn't working and isn't repairable, nothing you can do otherwise. That opinion certainly doesn't make me a troll lol. The OP says they will give reasons why but doesn't supposedly because they don't want to 'sway' opinion, an opinion doesn't really mean much. Legal obligations do.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 15-03-2018 at 4:19 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Mar 18, 6:05 AM
    • 25,053 Posts
    • 92,600 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Putting a poll on a discussion forum was bound to fail. It's the nature of this place for discussion and questioning to take place, especially around matters of law.

The people here aren't 'nasty.' When you come here and tell us to do something we don't usually do, it's the internet equivalent of going into a pub and asking the locals to stay silent for half an hour.....then you'll tell them why.

How do you think you'd get on with that?

You have unrealistic expectations.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're readyÖ..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 15th Mar 18, 6:14 AM
    • 12,114 Posts
    • 17,050 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Given that all if not most regulars on this board know that it's the landlord's legal responsibility. I'm not sure what use the poll would have been to the OP because the people answering either "yes" or "unsure" were probably taking the Mickey.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 9,135 Posts
    • 14,073 Thanks
    worried jim
    The op has thrown their toys out the pram now. I was enjoying this thread. #landlordreplaces
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    • 6,958 Posts
    • 5,720 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I wanted to know if it was viewed by the majority as general maintenance that a tenant would always do as I was told it was .
    You got your answers along with the reasons they chose them. Asking in a poll was pointless.
    Most people know that replacing a failed heating system is a landlords responsibility.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 15th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Caz3121
    there is not enough detail to answer...your other post talks of living in a property once owned by your deceased parents....did you inherit part of the property? are you trying to get stepmother to replace boiler before you have full ownership? do you have a proper lease?
    In general, let property, valid lease, no relationship to property or landlord, it should simply be the landlords responsibility
    this may not apply to your situation so any answers you get before clarification on the legalities of ownership etc are completely flawed
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 7,658 Posts
    • 7,799 Thanks
    davidmcn
    And I help on threads that I know about and in real life, I thought this is how this worked on here.
    Really? You've been here a while - how many questions like this are done in the form of a poll?
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 15th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 28,529 Thanks
    fairy lights
    This may have helped me with a certain thing ( with other evidence) keep my home that I've always lived in ,
    What? How?
    Is your landlord the puzzle master from the 'Saw' films, setting you strange and impossible tasks to complete in order not to get evicted? If not, I really can't imagine any way the outcome of a poll on an internet forum could hold such importance.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 15th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,898 Posts
    • 2,780 Thanks
    shortcrust
    This may have helped me with a certain thing ( with other evidence) keep my home that I've always lived in...
    What nonsense.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 9,413 Posts
    • 10,406 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    The only troll here is the OP with their tantalising "I'll tell you later" posts.

Dont worry with this , it's worthlesss now
    It was worthless to start with.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 37,227 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    silvercar
    This thread seems to have moved from the question of who should fund a boiler replacement to the merits of a poll on a discussion board.

I feel the OP has all the constructive information they are going to receive, so I'm locking the thread.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin