Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Is it normal for tenant to replace a broken boiler

Yes - itís normal for a tenant to replace an old broken boiler

19.54% • 17 votes

No - Itís NOT normal ( a landlord would always be the one to replace an old broken boiler)

77.01% • 67 votes

Unsure

3.45% • 3 votes

You may not vote on this poll

87 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 62Thanks
    Moogles44
    Please delete as ruined by trolls
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    Please delete as ruined by trolls 14th Mar 18 at 7:28 PM
    Dont worry with this , it!!!8217;s worthlesss now

I!!!8217;ll try and delete it
    Last edited by Moogles44; 15-03-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 14th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    You don't need a poll, it's the landlord's responsibility - end of.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 14th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Moogles44
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    Thank you , I don!!!8217;t want to sway anyone either way and this is pretty important so can I ask you vote if you can please?

Many thanks
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 6,303 Posts
    • 6,170 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    Poll : Can I please ask;

If you are a tenant in a private ( not council) house is it normal for the tenant to pay and arrange to have a new boiler fitted if it is very old , broken and you have no heating or hot water?
    Originally posted by Moogles44
    I don't understand why you would want to do a poll on this.

How does it help you if a majority of random anonymous weirdos vote 'yes' or 'no' on the internet?

If, for example, a landlord is refusing to replace a broken boiler, I don't think that showing them the result of an ad-hoc MSE poll will make the landlord change their mind.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Mar 18, 7:50 PM
    • 16,366 Posts
    • 41,361 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:50 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:50 PM
    I vote
    C) the tenant should get proper legal advice rather than going by a vote on an Internet forum from people who may be making it up as they go along.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    Thank you , I don!!!8217;t want to sway anyone either way and this is pretty important so can I ask you vote if you can please?
    But you're not talking about some sort of moral dilemma, it's a question with a clear legal answer.
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 14th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aliby21
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    I vote
    C) the tenant should get proper legal advice rather than going by a vote on an Internet forum from people who may be making it up as they go along.
    Originally posted by elsien
    or the landlord
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 14th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    It is normal for the landlord to replace BUT sadly not every landlord is aware of his/her responsibilities.

Care to give us a bit more detail about your situation?

Alternatively, what elsien said.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 14th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Moogles44
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    It is normal for the landlord to replace BUT sadly not every landlord is aware of his/her responsibilities.

Care to give us a bit more detail about your situation?

Alternatively, what elsien said.
    Originally posted by Lavendyr
    Thanks , I have legal advice but itís still really helpful and important to me if you could do this poll.

Iíll explain at later if thatís ok

Thanks so much
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 14th Mar 18, 8:30 PM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 4,679 Thanks
    robatwork
    If anyone said it's the tenant's responsibility it would just be to be contrary. As it is, 10/10 have said landlord. Everyone here has said landlord and we apparently are a mixture of landlords, tenants and anonymous internet weirdos.

So you have your answer.

Consider that it's now "later" so explain away.....
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 14th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    diggingdude
    Always the landlord, if a tenant is having to replace it I hope they take it and all the copper pipes/wiring in the house with them when they leave
    House Deposit - Target £20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - £10225 13121.22
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 20,114 Posts
    • 15,838 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Thanks , I have legal advice but itís still really helpful and important to me if you could do this poll.

Iíll explain at later if thatís ok

Thanks so much
    Utter nonsense - if you really have legal advice then take it and leave us alone.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 44,049 Posts
    • 52,169 Thanks
    G_M
    Thanks , I have legal advice but it!!!8217;s still really helpful and important to me if you could do this poll.

I!!!8217;ll explain at later if that!!!8217;s ok

Thanks so much
    I'm not interested in playing games.

You want to know whose legal responsiblity it is? Either rely on your legal advice, or provide full relevant details & request legal advice here.

You want to know how many LLs, Vs, tenants, on average, nationally, replace boilers? I see no value in the answer (even assuming a meaningful number of votes were cast), so I'm out.
    Last edited by G_M; 14-03-2018 at 9:15 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 31,601 Posts
    • 19,942 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I vote D for read the agreement you signed.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 14th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 9,878 Posts
    • 5,313 Thanks
    dimbo61
    It's the Landlords responsibility However if the tenant is on certain benefits and the boiler is old and has a poor energy efficiency rating a number of schemes were available to get a New "A" rated boiler fitted for free.
    Landlord gets a new free boiler and tenant saves money on gas bill.
    Win Win for both LL and Tenant.
    Even the energy company gets a pat on the back by meeting energy efficiency targets.
    Much Much better than smart meters which cost every household £300 and costs money to run.
    Only if you ACT on the readings by replacing boiler, lights, appliances do you save money.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 31,601 Posts
    • 19,942 Thanks
    DCFC79
    It's the Landlords responsibility However if the tenant is on certain benefits and the boiler is old and has a poor energy efficiency rating a number of schemes were available to get a New "A" rated boiler fitted for free.
    Landlord gets a new free boiler and tenant saves money on gas bill.
    Win Win for both LL and Tenant.
    Even the energy company gets a pat on the back by meeting energy efficiency targets.
    Much Much better than smart meters which cost every household £300 and costs money to run.
    Only if you ACT on the readings by replacing boiler, lights, appliances do you save money.
    Originally posted by dimbo61
    You haven't said which way you vote in the poll.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 14-03-2018 at 9:56 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 14th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Moogles44
    I'm not interested in playing games.

You want to know whose legal responsiblity it is? Either rely on your legal advice, or provide full relevant details & request legal advice here.

You want to know how many LLs, Vs, tenants, on average, nationaly, replace boilers? As I see no value in the answer (even assuming a meaningful number of votes were cast), so I'm out.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Itís not a silly game, itís incredibly important to me and Iím not talking at the moment as I donít want to sway the vote so just asking a plain general question. I do have legal advice currently and what is ďnormal repairs that a tenant doesĒ and mainly the question in the title is very important as it shows what most people know to be true .
    Itís got 20 people in an hour ( and unfortunately thatís not high enough to prove beyond doubt the general view) so if I can get up to 100 that would help me so much as itís for something really important.

Thank you
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    Lorian
    LOL at poll results.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 14th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    cjdavies
    All you need to know:
    https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/making-repairs
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 14th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    It would be the landlords responsibility.... However if the tenant had informed the landlord and did not do the repair as long as the tenant has followed the correct procedures they could get the boiler repaired or if not economical to repair then they could have it replaced and then take the cost off the landlord... There are also new laws which mean the landlord cannot refuse unreasonably for energy-saving improvements to be made (Could be argued if new boiler), to be paid for by the tenant...

So you really need to be more clear about the circumstances as otherwise this poll is useless.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,744Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin