Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aimz511
    • By Aimz511 14th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aimz511
    Crb previous name advice
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    Crb previous name advice 14th Mar 18 at 7:26 PM
    I need to apply for my crb however ar age 5 i adopted my step fathers surname and used this all through school although i never had it legally changed it was just a known as name.
    My mum had a bank account opened for me in this known as name and even my ni card had this name on it.
    Do i need to put this known as name on the form or just my legally born name and now married name?
    And if i do have to put my known as surname on there? What do i do about having zero id showing this name?
Page 1
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 3,332 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    I would phone their helpline
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 14th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 9,320 Posts
    • 57,461 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    I too would phone their helpline for advice.

But I suspect that, given your age when you changed your name and you being well under the age of criminal responsibility, they will disregard it.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 14th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 38,481 Posts
    • 35,150 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    You do have some ID in your known as name - at least a bank account and proof of your NINo. Do you have a driving licence and / or a passport?

The DBS form does not ask for proof of any previous name. The issue's going to be with 'proving' your current name. Agree you should phone them, PLUS if this is for work, you are going to need proof of your right to work in the UK. The easiest way to do that is to have a passport demonstrating that work, so I'd look at that, pronto.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 15th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 7,703 Posts
    • 16,815 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    I was adopted at 15 by my stepdad. I have always included my birth surname (Christian name is the same) on DBS and CRB checks. I've never had to provide proof of my birth name, or of my maiden name for that matter. I have only ever had to prove my current name.
    • Madbags
    • By Madbags 15th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Madbags
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    I was born under a different surname than I have used for most if not all of my memorable life. My parents weren't married when they had me and I was born under my mothers surname but I have always used my fathers surname.

It's never caused me any problems with anything. I've never had to prove anything to anyone.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 15th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    I think you need to put every name you've been known by. It would be pretty big loophole if you didn't. I have a double-barrelled surname but just used the last part for years (until everything had to match your passport or driving licence). I definitely put both on my CRB/DBS form.

My understanding is that there isn't really such a thing as a 'legal' name in the UK. You can call yourself whatever you like. I got a solicitor to witness a 'statutory change of name' document when I started using the double-barrelled name so that I could link the two names if needed. I think I only had to use it once for my gran's POA when I sold her house for her.

As others have said, give them a call to be sure.
    • Pricivius
    • By Pricivius 15th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Pricivius
    • 15th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    I would agree with a few of the others - you need to put down every name you have been known as. If I recall correctly, you state the dates between which you used each name.

If you think about what a CRB is for, they are looking at your name against crimes committed. They therefore need to check every name you might have used when convicted of a crime. The period when you used your step-father's surname is as relevant as the period when you used your birth surname and the period you used your married surname.

I am in a similar position as I have used my step-father's surname for 33 years but never legally changed it from my birth surname. I provide both names to DBS/CRB and the approximate date I switched between them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin