Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 14th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 164Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Life on a sticky wicket in 5XL underpants
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    Life on a sticky wicket in 5XL underpants 14th Mar 18 at 7:14 PM
    Hi MSE!
    Iím a mid to late 30s chap who has a bundle of debt, little income, a not so straightforward work history, a few ailments, and a rather wobbly backside. I appreciate that this is DFW and some of the things I wish to address fall beyond the debt category, but all these things are linked in some way and I feel like this is the right place for me to empty my little head of various thoughts.

How have I got where I am today? Well, bad choices and laziness, mainly. Itís true that life has thrown me a couple of curveballs along the way, be they health issues or life events, and it would be uncharitable to fail to acknowledge that they have taken their toll, but I really must stand up and say that I, LegBeforeWicket, am entirely responsible for being in debt to the tune of £9448.71 This is the highest itís ever been and Iím determined to ensure that this is the highest it will ever be. Currently these are spread across six credit cards, all of which are on 0% deals; a couple end in 2019 and the rest in 2020.

What about an SOA? Well, I canít provide one at the minute. Not helpful I know, but being in a position to post one is one of my goals. My main source of income at the moment is Matched Betting (there is a board about it on MSE if you arenít familiar with it) and a few other scraps elsewhere. Some health issues have made it difficult to work full time in recent years and MB has kept me going (plus piling up debt on CCs) but I canít, and donít want to, do it forever; I want to work again. Full time. Addressing these health issues properly is the only way I will be able to work again, one of which is the fact that I am approximately 110lbs above the upper limit of a Ďnormalí BMI. I know BMI isnít a perfect tool but I canít argue with the general message itís giving meÖas well as the fact that I bought 5XL pants this week. Iím more a 4.5XL but they donít exist!

Anyway, this is just an introductory post so Iíve tried to keep it short, but Iíll be posting up more.

Thanks to anyone who reads
Page 4
    • LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 17th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Morning all!

I can't believe I'm typing this, but are you still enjoying the sunshine? I'm not old enough to remember 1976 but it seems like 2018 is starting to match it for good weather. I no longer play cricket because of my health but when I did this long period of sunshine would have been lovely - we used to have to cancel so many games because of the wet British summer.

First of all, my totals:

CC1 £452.79 £0
    CC2 £2256.41 £1996.48
    CC3 £756.13 £295.00
    CC4 £2034.18 £1934.18
    CC5 £2040.91 £1935.91
    CC6 £1908.29 £1634.15

Total is now £7795.72 which means I've paid 17.49% so far. I am now under 8k and I've got CC3 in my sights, particularly as I've received a cheque for PPI for a total of £225.32 which I will pay towards CC3 as soon as it clears. I've had another decent month of MBing - thankyou World Cup - and I ought to be clearing the balance that cheque will leave before the weekend is here

What's also nice is that all of my CCs are now under 2k; it might only take a penny to do it but it makes my mind happier to see a balance drop below the 2k threshold.

How is my health? Generally, quite good. My weight loss has stalled a little because I've indulged in a couple of things, but my total loss now stands at 21.1lbs meaning I'm through the stone and a half barrier
    Last edited by LegBeforeWicket; 17-07-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    Debt at LBM: £9448.71 Current debt: £7158.29 (24.24% paid so far)
    Weight loss to date: 25.3 lbs (Currently 114.2 88.9 lbs above a 'normal' BMI)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 17th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    fatrab
    Sounds to me like you're doing great! What's the plan after CC3 is put to bed?

You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 24th Jul 18, 10:45 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Thanks Rab, I really appeciate that and all the support that you, and others, have given me on here. I know I'm a long way off being debt free but my plan is working and I do feel like I'm getting somewhere - it no longer feels insurmountable.

My cheque has cleared so I've paid that, plus some extra MB earnings I would have allocated to next month's earning's target, against CC3 and it now has a zero balance - hooray! It isn't a card with a huge limit so taking this into account, along with the fact I kept CC1 open for potential balance transfers (which I hope I won't need), I've taken the decision to close this account. Once I've finished typing this I'm going to contact the provider and close it - it's a feeling I'm looking forward to.
    Going forward my plan is to hit CC2 as much as I can as that balance is made up of a few BTs with various end dates in 2019. Minimums will be made to CCs 4, 5 and 6. My current projection is for CC2 to be finished by the end of March 2019 but, like with CC3, I am hoping that I can chip away at it and get it removed sooner; the end of 2018 would be fab but I'll just try my best and see what that brings.

Also, 1lb lost this week (probably in sweat with this never ending heat) and I'm now down 22.1lbs
    • LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 5th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Morning all.

My intention was to update at the end of July with details of any extra payments I made but I spent the whole of last week at work I can't tell you how happy this made me. It was with the same place I've been at before and I won't be in next week, but to do a full working week has made me feel pretty normal. I know that sounds ridiculous to nearly everyone because you are all out there working damn hard, but my health really has taken its toll over the years. There was probably a bit of luck involved in feeling good all last week but I also think that my fairly consistent and healthy diet has played its part.

Anyway, since my last post I paid £28 to CC2, mainly funded with food budget savings and one ebay item sale. No minimums have gone out for this month yet but they will be doing as of Monday. As I said I would in my last update, I got in contact with the provider of CC3 and I closed down the account, which felt great Also, I had 17 NSDs last month, which I'm happy with. My aim for August is to try and beat this.

I'm also down another 3.2lbs meaning my loss stands at 25.3lbs
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 5th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 4,469 Posts
    • 23,997 Thanks
    foxgloves
    That's sounding really encouraging, LBW, both the finances & the weightloss. Another 3lbs & that's a whole 2 stones gone.....that amount often equates to around a dress size in my experience, so I bet you are noticing your clothes are looser. As I've mentioned in an earlier response to you, I lost 6 stones between 2011 & 2013, but since then I've kept regaining & re-losing the same 2 stones. My head is in the right place for blitzing this now though & as of today I am 21lbs higher than the lowest weight I slimmed down to. It's coming off! No mystery to it......sensible portion sizes, calorie counting & using my fitbit to make sure I burn off 500+ calories more than I eat every day.
    Good news about your week at work too.
    Best wishes for continuing with it all.
    F
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £403
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 7th Aug 18, 7:58 AM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    fatrab
    I spent the whole of last week at work I can't tell you how happy this made me.
    Originally posted by LegBeforeWicket

As I said I would in my last update, I got in contact with the provider of CC3 and I closed down the account, which felt great

Absolutely fantastic news! You must be over the bloomin' moon!! It's such a good feeling as you start to clear each individual debt, gives you a real mental boost.

And your weight loss is going great! Agree with Foxgloves - few more weeks and you'll have 2 stone in the bag! I've lost 5lbs in 4 weeks but my weight has been yo-yo-ing all year. I'm determined to be under 14st by the end of the year though.

Great going! Keep at it

• LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 30th Aug 18, 2:38 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Hi everyone!

Thanks foxgloves and fatrab, I really appreciate the kind words. Losing weight is such hard business, isn't it? It takes weeks and weeks to undo the damage that can be caused in a few days of bad choices. I'm really happy to hear that you are both doing so well and even though it's a battle, I know it's one that you both can triumph in.

So what about me? I haven't been around - again - and it's not all good news. It's not a disaster by any means but I feel that unless I get this post written now then I might sail towards one.

I went to visit my GF for a couple of weeks and had a lovely time; I stuck to my budget and all was well. Since I returned it's not been the same story. I've indulged in a couple of purchases I didn't need (books, so not too much money) and I've eaten off plan a little and spent a bit more than I should have. Luckily, I've had a good month of MB so it's not come out of the budget as such, but every penny counts when you are in my position - no job and a sizeable debt. As such I'm currently sat going over everything and getting fresh grip on my situation - I'll post up any findings along with an update on my debt position and forward plans shortly. It's clear though that I need to immerse myself in MSE some more so I can renew my commitment to future freedom from debt.

Firstly, I want to ask opinions on something. I have two credit accounts that are termed 'mail order' on my credit report, as in they are lines of credit with specific retailers. I've never mentioned these before because I don't use them and they have zero balances - I opened them long ago for some kind of discount when I wanted to buy somthing, then essentially forgot about them. There is no intention to spend anything on these accounts and I want to close them, but should I do this now or when I'm debt free? Would keeping them open/closing them have any impact on my CC providers offering any 0% deals in the future? I hope not to need a 0% transfer deal but just in case I want to do the best thing. Closing them (they have about 8k in total limit) would make my debt to avaialble credit ratio smaller but maybe that's not an issue. What do people think?
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 30th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    fatrab
    I think you can have too much available credit. I'm sure I remember my bank's mortgage advisor telling me to get rid of some of my unused accounts before making the application for my current mortgage. I think at the time I had 4 CC's and available credit over £20k.

But I'm not sure where the balance lies so far as loyalty is concerned. I know creditors like to see that you've had a long relationship with previous lenders.

Personally, I would close them.

I've also stopped and "taken-stock" of my finances recently. It's so easy to let things slip. I have my plan for the rest of 2018 in place, but 2019's plan is going to be different to what I had envisaged. So the rest of 2018 will be focused on weight loss for me.

Good to hear from you again
    Last edited by fatrab; 30-08-2018 at 4:20 PM.

• LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 31st Aug 18, 10:40 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Morning Rab,

I did have a quick look yesterday over your recent updates but I'll be heading over again shortly for a proper catchup. The plans may have changed but it's great to hear that you still have a plan and you're keeping on top of matters.

I've had a sleep on my thoughts about the mail-order accounts and I agree with you, they should be closed; I'm going to action that today. My feeling is that even if it has the potential to impact negatively upon 0% offers, it's safer for me to close them; even though I have no intention to spend at either of the shops, it's a potential trap that I don't need sitting there tempting me. No credit line means no new debt with them. Rather than trying to second guess credit providers and 0% offer availability I'll play the right game for me and that means they go.

Where am I with my debts? The total now is £7158.29 meaning I've now paid off 24.24%

More updates to follow...
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 12th Sep 18, 4:53 PM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    fatrab
    Where am I with my debts? The total now is £7158.29 meaning I've now paid off 24.24%

More updates to follow...
    Hi LBW, just wondered how you're getting on?

Hope all is well

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,497Posts Today

7,314Users online

Martin's Twitter