Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 14th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 74Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Life on a sticky wicket in 5XL underpants
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:14 PM
    Life on a sticky wicket in 5XL underpants 14th Mar 18 at 7:14 PM
    Hi MSE!
    Iím a mid to late 30s chap who has a bundle of debt, little income, a not so straightforward work history, a few ailments, and a rather wobbly backside. I appreciate that this is DFW and some of the things I wish to address fall beyond the debt category, but all these things are linked in some way and I feel like this is the right place for me to empty my little head of various thoughts.

How have I got where I am today? Well, bad choices and laziness, mainly. Itís true that life has thrown me a couple of curveballs along the way, be they health issues or life events, and it would be uncharitable to fail to acknowledge that they have taken their toll, but I really must stand up and say that I, LegBeforeWicket, am entirely responsible for being in debt to the tune of £9448.71 This is the highest itís ever been and Iím determined to ensure that this is the highest it will ever be. Currently these are spread across six credit cards, all of which are on 0% deals; a couple end in 2019 and the rest in 2020.

What about an SOA? Well, I canít provide one at the minute. Not helpful I know, but being in a position to post one is one of my goals. My main source of income at the moment is Matched Betting (there is a board about it on MSE if you arenít familiar with it) and a few other scraps elsewhere. Some health issues have made it difficult to work full time in recent years and MB has kept me going (plus piling up debt on CCs) but I canít, and donít want to, do it forever; I want to work again. Full time. Addressing these health issues properly is the only way I will be able to work again, one of which is the fact that I am approximately 110lbs above the upper limit of a Ďnormalí BMI. I know BMI isnít a perfect tool but I canít argue with the general message itís giving meÖas well as the fact that I bought 5XL pants this week. Iím more a 4.5XL but they donít exist!

Anyway, this is just an introductory post so Iíve tried to keep it short, but Iíll be posting up more.

Thanks to anyone who reads
Page 3
    • LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 16th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Morning all!

Thankyou Rab for popping in and checking I'm ok. I'm fine but I've not been around much for a few days because of a neurological issue - absolutely nothing to worry about at all, but it made me not want to spend anything than the bare minimum in front of a screen. Thankfully I'm in reasonable health this morning.

About my weight and lifestyle. First of all, I'm down 2lbs this week and I'm very happy with that
    As for what's changed...I think I mentioned before that I've lost weight once before; I have in fact lost a little twice, then put lots more on. The first time - almost 20 years ago - I followed a commercial plan (Slimming World) at home, using a relative's materials and it worked well, until I stopped caring and ate what I wanted whenever I wanted.
    The second time was a couple of years ago when I lost about 25 lbs over a three month period. This was much easier for me because I'd read up on the basics of nutrition and learned about calculating how many calories I used a day/week and creating a deficit from there so that I lost at a steady, manageable rate. Yes I put it all back on, but only because I chose to be a careless glutton again. I logged everything I ate in MFP (which was weighed) and all of my exercise efforts (I had a fitbit but it isn't necessary at all). I tried to eat more protein because it helped to make me feel full for longer, had a decent amount of good fats because the body needs them and they taste good, and I still ate carbs, just not fizzy drinks and donuts all the time, just occasionally. I created a calorie deficit every day I could, but still had a couple of indulgent days which was fine because the overall trend was a deficit. I could whatever I wanted, just not as much of it.

So what am I doing now? Well, I'm still creating a deficit, still logging my food, and still logging exercise; the numbers don't lie and you have to trust them. The difference now is that food affects me in various ways (migraines, IBS etc) and I'm tackling this too because I really have to. Therefore, I have a 7 day food plan which provides me with the number of calories I want and should have the least amount of negative impact on my health issues while remaining varied enough and tasty. Breakfast is porridge or a cereal, lunch varies but might be scrambled eggs on toast or lean meats with salad and cous cous etc, and dinner is usually fish or chicken with veg and potatoes or rice, but I also make bunless burgers on a saturday. I have snacks inbetween too. There will come a point where I'm bored and want to change it, by which time I hope my stomach can tolerate more foods.

What about my debts?

I'm having a decent month of earnings again - it really is a case of trying to keep the previous month's momentum going - and I'm at my target already. Therefore, I've made all my debt payments for the month and my debts are now as follows:

CC1 £452.79 £0
    CC2 £2256.41 £2189.53
    CC3 £756.13 £681.13
    CC4 £2034.18 £2009.18
    CC5 £2040.91 £2015.91
    CC6 £1908.29 £1763.09

Total is now £8658.84 which means I've paid 8.35% so far. Hoping to have CC3 gone and closed by September, but we will see.
    Debt at LBM: £9448.71 Current debt: £8489.77 (10.15% paid so far)
    Weight loss to date: 12.2 lbs (Currently 114.2 102 lbs above a 'normal' BMI)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 17th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    With you on the calorie deficit, the app you told me about is very helpful. Thanks for that.

I'm a bit of a yo-yo dieter myself, but this time I'm determined to keep it off. I've fluctuated between 15 and 17 stone since 2006, and I'm sick of it. I just want to maintain a healthy weight.

Great news that CC1 is now gone and CC3 is in the crosshairs. Do you think it'll take you until September to clear it? Hopefully with some luck (or skill I should say!) you'll be ahead of schedule by then!

Keep it up.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 21/31 AFDs, 13/18 lunches.
    37 x £2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 24th Apr 18, 4:14 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    Thanks for the info today, much appreciated
    • LegBeforeWicket
    • By LegBeforeWicket 30th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    LegBeforeWicket
    Afternoon everyone!

Has it really been two weeks since I posted? This is not what I intended when I started this diary. I get a lot of benefit from typing out a few words on here so I'm going to renew my commitment to post a lot more often, even if it's just a line or two. When I speak about benefits I don't just mean the wonderful support and advice you all give, but also from unburdening my mind.

Anyway, while I have been away there hasn't been anything negative happening. In fact, things have been quite positive and I'm making some progress. First off, apart from enjoying some of the sunshine after what seemed like such a long winter, I've also done a few days of work for someone I know. Ok, it was only manning a reception desk and wasn't taxing at all, but to be out of the safety of my house (with regards to having a comfy bathroom if I became ill) was a really positive step. I will also get paid, which is nice, and while it isn't going to make much difference once I take into account lost MB earnings, it's given me something more important - the belief that there is something good ahead if I keep on trying. Also, in case it's the kind of thing that bothers you, I've long been registered self-employed and these earnings will be declared

I had already made my planned payments for the month by my previous post so my debt hasn't changed, apart from one small payment of £12.50 towards CC3. Why this amount? Well, I promised that if Ii had anything left from my food budget then I wouldn't reduce my earnings target for the next month but I'd allocate it immediately to debt. I don't need anything else to see me through today and I have £12.50 left, so a payment has been made. I am throughly happy about this because failing to stick to a food budget has been a HUGE contibuting factor in my debt increasing. It's true that the amount I allocate to my monthly food budget includes a small amount for when I think '!!!!!! it, I want x, y or z' but my thinking was that doing this would make me still feel 'free', and it has. I've also now passed the half a stone barrier and I've lost 7.3 lbs in total. I'm doing it slowly, but then I didn't put all that weight on overnight, did I?

What about CC3? Well, Rab, I'd like to think that I can get it paid off slightly ahead of schedule but I'm not going to think about that too much. I'm going to work as hard as I can to make it happen but I know that this time of year my MB earnings can slow down a little. In short, I don't want to tempt fate, but I hope I can manage it. I'm also excited that May's minimums will see two of my debts drop below 2k, which is a nice little milestone.

Finally, I still haven't heard anything about my PPI claim. I'd like to think it will be successful but who knows. It won't be for very much at all even if it is, but a 'free' pound is one less I need to find, so I hope it is.

LBW
    Debt at LBM: £9448.71 Current debt: £8489.77 (10.15% paid so far)
    Weight loss to date: 12.2 lbs (Currently 114.2 102 lbs above a 'normal' BMI)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 30th Apr 18, 3:12 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    Great news on the weight loss. I need to buck up my ideas on that front. Damn pastries in Lidl keep talking to me as I walk in the door! Took me nearly 4 years to go from 12­Ĺ stone up to just-under 16 - then it crept up to 17Ĺ - so, like yourself, I'm not expecting it to fall off in a fortnight. I'm going to try and lose a stone in May though.

That's a good idea regarding the food budget leftovers. I might try that myself. I'd set a weekly budget of £25 but this week's food was only £10. I could just pop that surplus into my CCard and never miss it.

Good news all round then, and good to hear you got a few days work! Is there any chance it could become regular?

I haven't had time to look into MB properly yet but I understand the principle. A small earning from it would be very welcomed "pocket-money" if it works out.

Cheers, Rab
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

942Posts Today

7,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin