Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suebfg
    • By suebfg 14th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 402Posts
    • 234Thanks
    suebfg
    Risk of ID fraud
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    Risk of ID fraud 14th Mar 18 at 5:02 PM
    Hi,

I recently sent some information overseas in connection with a holiday that I paid a deposit for and subsequently cancelled. The information sent could be used to apply for credit in my name etc (bank account, date of birth, passport, address etc). No bank account usernames/passwords were provided.

There has been no indication so far of any fraudulent activity but I am now concerned about potential ID fraud.

Are there any proactive steps I can take? Apart from being more careful in future.
Page 1
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 14th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    You could apply for CIFAS Protective Registration at https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration

Although it's worth bearing in mind that although it will make it more difficult for fraudsters to apply for financial accounts in your name, it will also make it more difficult for you to do so as well.
    • suebfg
    • By suebfg 14th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    suebfg
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    Hi, could this CIFAS Protective Registration affect my job prospects as I may be applying for jobs in the Financial Industry soon and I know they carry out Pre Employment screening?
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 14th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    Hi, could this CIFAS Protective Registration affect my job prospects as I may be applying for jobs in the Financial Industry soon and I know they carry out Pre Employment screening?
    Originally posted by suebfg
    No.

They won't care about the protective registration.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin