Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hopgarth
    • By Hopgarth 14th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hopgarth
    Car insurance claim
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    Car insurance claim 14th Mar 18 at 3:30 PM
    My daughter had a slight accident with another car and due to the nature of the incident it was deemed to be her fault, the third party is now claiming for personal injury although my daughter was doing 5-10 miles and not out of first gear. The third party was delivering pizzas at the time and should have business insurance. My daughterson insurer aren't interested in finding out as they say has no bearing on his claim. But surely if he hasn't business insurance he was driving illegally. Any body any thoughts
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 7,176 Posts
    • 6,657 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    Your daughter needs to do nothing more than pass any claims she receives to her insurers for them to deal with.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 14th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    My daughterson insurer aren't interested in finding out as they say has no bearing on his claim. But surely if he hasn't business insurance he was driving illegally. Any body any thoughts
    Originally posted by Hopgarth
    Her insurers are correct. Whether he was on the road illegally or not, your daughter hit him and is therefore liable for the damage.

The issue of him driving without valid insurance is a separate issue to be dealt with by his insurers.

Edit: It's worth noting that if the situation had been reversed and he had driven into her whilst conducting business without business insurance, his insurance company would have paid out to her. They wouldn't say "Not our problem, he shouldn't have been on the road."
    Last edited by boo_star; 14-03-2018 at 6:15 PM.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 15th Mar 18, 1:52 AM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 15th Mar 18, 1:52 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 1:52 AM
    Your daughter messed up, itís her fault so she needs to just accept the claim.

How would you feel if it was the other party at fault and they were trying to avoid liability on a technicality?

Yes it sucks, but thatís life. She caused an accident and needs to accept responsibility, not have family member faff about trying to get her off the hook.
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 15th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    Spurious injury claim..........who would have thought it.

I grazed someones bumper a number of years ago and they claimed just under £2k for whiplash.

It is at these times that you just hope karma exists.
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 15th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 15th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    My daughter had a slight accident with another car and due to the nature of the incident it was deemed to be her fault, the third party is now claiming for personal injury although my daughter was doing 5-10 miles and not out of first gear. The third party was delivering pizzas at the time and should have business insurance. My daughterson insurer aren't interested in finding out as they say has no bearing on his claim. But surely if he hasn't business insurance he was driving illegally. Any body any thoughts
    Originally posted by Hopgarth
    My thoughts are that your daughter should accept their are consequences to her actions. Move on and learn from it
    • reason2
    • By reason2 15th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    reason2
    • 15th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    about 6 years ago i grazed someone from carillion, like less impact than brushing past someone in the street.

It was caused by police and they sent witness report and everything to insurers, they never looked at it and paid out including £2.5k for whiplash...

he lost his job this year so im sure Karma does exist.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 15th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    It was caused by police
    Originally posted by reason2
    So why didn't the injured party sue the police?
    • reason2
    • By reason2 15th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    reason2
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    So why didn't the injured party sue the police?
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    The police didnt hit him,it was my car that nudged his bumper.
    But the police were on a call and were on the wrong side of the road and that cause the issue

he also wasnt injured and the police report would have supported this, but since i hit him the insurance didnt care because by default i lost by bumping his bumper
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

9,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin