Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kat brown
    • By Kat brown 14th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kat brown
    Urban Exchange Parking Fine passed on debt
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    Urban Exchange Parking Fine passed on debt 14th Mar 18 at 2:44 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I know there are many other threads around Urban Exchange, Manchester parking fines.
    But I can't seem to find any post that has got as far mine.

My registration was given a parking fine for being a few minutes over the one hour time limit.
    Unfortunately, this was sent to my out of term time address, where I did not check the mail for a few weeks, meaning that when I opened this letter the 14 day period was already over.
    After doing some research, I saw that some people had said not to pay it, and after a few months of antagonising letters, Highview normally didn't persist.

Highview have now passed on the debt to DBR debt collecting agency that have somehow now started sending letters to my term time address, which I'm unsure of how they have gotten it, as my car is registered to other house.

This letter now states that they have taken over the debt and the charge is now 142, and court proceedings will occur if it is not paid in full within 14 days.

Usually, I would just pay this and be done with it, but I am a full time student already struggling to make ends meet, with a very part time job.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance <3 xxx
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 14th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 36,623 Posts
    • 82,943 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    Nobody here will advise you to pay a bunch of scammers. The fourteen day discount is for mugs.

Debt collectors have no powers and can be safely ignored.

Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES to learn all about this unregulated scam.

You could try a late appeal to Highview using the template from the NEWBIES, but no doubt it will be rejected. Other than that you are in ignore mode unless you get real court papers.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 14th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 36,623 Posts
    • 82,943 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    I suspect the debt crawler letter said "may" commence court, or "may" recommend their client tries court, not "will."
    Debt collectors can't take you to court.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 8,484 Posts
    • 8,796 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    Post four of the Newbies Sticky covers debt collectors completely. Please read it.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 14th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 4,100 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    I suspect the debt crawler letter said "may" commence court, or "may" recommend their client tries court, not "will." Debt collectors can't take you to court.
    +1

If it says "will" we'd like to see the paperwork
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 57,431 Posts
    • 71,027 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    Highview and debt letters are not a combination to give a second thought to. Completely safe to ignore.

You are also lucky if your nearest court is Manchester, because if ever you do get a private PCN from a firm that is litigious (NOT Highview) Manchester Judges do get the PPC 'scam' and are very good at finding in favour of consumers against this rogue industry.

So you have no worries here.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• squidge1
    • By squidge1 15th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    squidge1
    • 15th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I know there are many other threads around Urban Exchange, Manchester parking fines.
    But I can't seem to find any post that has got as far mine.

My registration was given a parking fine for being a few minutes over the one hour time limit.
    Unfortunately, this was sent to my out of term time address, where I did not check the mail for a few weeks, meaning that when I opened this letter the 14 day period was already over.
    After doing some research, I saw that some people had said not to pay it, and after a few months of antagonising letters, Highview normally didn't persist.

Highview have now passed on the debt to DBR debt collecting agency that have somehow now started sending letters to my term time address, which I'm unsure of how they have gotten it, as my car is registered to other house.

This letter now states that they have taken over the debt and the charge is now 142, and court proceedings will occur if it is not paid in full within 14 days.

Usually, I would just pay this and be done with it, but I am a full time student already struggling to make ends meet, with a very part time job.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance <3 xxx
    Originally posted by Kat brown

This is very like my situation - I am new to this Forum and trying to navigate around it. How do you find the Newbies thread please? Someone said that I should contact Highview and give them my new address?? Any advice please.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 15th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 18,114 Posts
    • 22,902 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    This is very like my situation - I am new to this Forum and trying to navigate around it. How do you find the Newbies thread please? Someone said that I should contact Highview and give them my new address?? Any advice please.
    Originally posted by Theresa999
    it is near the top of this parking forum, usually in the first 3 threads that are "stuck" there

yes you contact the PPC and use the appeal template from the NEWBIES thread , appealing as keeper and quoting the pcn ref and VRM details, and quote your new address for service, whilst denying the debt

keep a copy, and post it at the PO Counter and get a free certificate of posting and attach it to your copy of the letter, as proof of posting
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 57,431 Posts
    • 71,027 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    This is very like my situation - I am new to this Forum and trying to navigate around it. How do you find the Newbies thread please?
    Originally posted by Theresa999
    You just asked that, right under my signature that tells everyone how to find it.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,915Posts Today

8,637Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin