Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becabubble
    • By becabubble 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    becabubble
    Travel Insurance where part-refund was offered
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    Travel Insurance where part-refund was offered 14th Mar 18 at 2:19 PM
    Hi

I recently had to cancel a trip due to bad weather where the flights were cancelled. I had accommodation booked through AirBnB with a landlord who does not offer refunds.

After cancelling the trip, I requested a refund due to the circumstances being beyond our control and we were offered a 50% refund, which I am happy with. However, my travel companions are unhappy with this and want me to seek a full refund.

Is it possible to claim on my travel insurance when I have already been offered a part refund from the landlord directly? I'm not sure whether it's worth doing as the amount is (in my opinion) not enough to be worth claiming but my companions are asking me to do this so I want to check where I stand.

Thanks in advance
    Becky
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    • 35,623 Posts
    • 19,848 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    Does your policy also cover travel companions?

If not, then they need to claim off their own policy if they have one.

If you are covered for cancellation then claim the 50% you were charged
    • becabubble
    • By becabubble 14th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    becabubble
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    Hi Quentin

I'll check my own policy, but they have been told they can't claim on their policy as the apartment was booked on my AirBnB account.

Thanks
    Becky
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 35,623 Posts
    • 19,848 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    Unless yours is a group policy of some sort that covers the travel companions, or a special policy you took out to cover the full cost, then only your share of the booking will be covered.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    Nothing to stop you phoning your insurance company and asking them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin