Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrAaronDennis
    • By MrAaronDennis 14th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrAaronDennis
    Employment Termination Advice
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    Employment Termination Advice 14th Mar 18 at 2:03 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I was with my company for 18 months and was let go recently. I started as a contractor / temp and then went permanent last June, everything was going well until my line management structure changed and my new manager took an instant dislike to me. My probation was due to end at the start of December but my manager cited that I had behavioural issues which I claimed were unsubstantiated, no proof was ever supplied and my requests for proof were ignored and my probation extended for 3 months. I met with my managers manager and the HR Director and advised them that I was under the assumption that when my extended probation was up I felt that I would be let go as the team would be able to cover, my claims were ignored by both people I met with, I had also raised concerns that I was being bullied, discriminated against and vilified by my manager, these claims, though proof was provided were also dismissed. Fast forward 3 months, I was terminated citing that I still had issues again no proof or evidence was provided, many senior managers in the company were shocked.

I was terminated end of Feb, since then I have had no letter to advise me, other than the email that sent me (I was working from home at the time and my manager told me at the end of a conference call), I have had no formal letter from the company. I sent them a letter advising and reiterating all of points I had made 3 months earlier and have still received no response (letter sent as PDF email on 5th March).

I'm currently looking for a new role, but I was just wondering if there's anything else I should be doing. I'd like to take them to a tribunal, but lots of people have told me that it would be hard since I've not been there for 2 years.

Any help or advice anyone could give would be great!

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    You have very few rights and cannot claim unfair dismissal.

So what are you claiming?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 20,326 Posts
    • 16,083 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    Unless the discrimination that you say you suffered was for a protected characteristic then nothing else that has happened to you would allow you to take a claim to a tribunal.
    • MrAaronDennis
    • By MrAaronDennis 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrAaronDennis
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    Hi, I'm claiming age discrimination. I was the youngest member of the team and a manager, and my manager treated me like an apprentice with comments, over looking my work and not treating me like an adult, my peers did not have this treatment.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    The most constructive use of your time and energies would be to simply put this behind you and focus on getting another job. This is pretty much the legal outcomes available to you too, so you may as well make it a positive choice.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 14th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    Hi, I'm claiming age discrimination. I was the youngest member of the team and a manager, and my manager treated me like an apprentice with comments, over looking my work and not treating me like an adult, my peers did not have this treatment.
    Originally posted by MrAaronDennis
    Do you have examples of these behaviours, and can you evidence them? Is there a significant difference in age between you and your former colleagues?

Did you complain to HR at any time about the manager?
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 14th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 6,570 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    As you were there for less than 3 years, they can dismiss you at any time, for any reason other than those linked to a protected characteristic. It doesn't sound as though your dismissal was discrimantory so you are very unlikly to have any kind of unfair dismissal claim.

So the questions to answer are;
    - Were you paid during your notice period?
    - Were you paid for any holiday you had accrued but had not taken

If the answer is yes, then move on. If the answer is no, then you are entitled to be paid for those things, and could issue a small claim to recover the debt if they don't pay up.

telling you via e-mail that you have been dismissed is not ideal, but you are not automatically entitled to a hard copy letter.

As they have terminated your employment, they don't have to investigate your grievances.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 20,326 Posts
    • 16,083 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    As you were there for less than 3 years, they can dismiss you at any time, for any reason other than those linked to a protected characteristic.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    I assume this is a typo and you meant 2 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,651Users online

Martin's Twitter