Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RainbowGirl90
    • By RainbowGirl90 14th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RainbowGirl90
    Car + Car Insurance Help
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    Car + Car Insurance Help 14th Mar 18 at 1:58 PM
    So this post may be a long one so please bear with me as I could definitely use some help.,

Iím considering getting a new car - or it may be a necessity as Iím fairly certain my car will not pass itís MOT in a few weeks. Iím somewhat relieved everyone I get it to start.

Anyway, my credit rating is very poor and I donít have a lot of money to put upfront for a car which I know is going to limit my options but Iím also pretty hard going on cars. My work is 24 Miles from work (mostly motorway) so I do around 240 Miles a week in total. So I need a car which is reliable and can cope with the motorway commute but is also pretty small (Iím not an overly confident driver so donít want anything big with my car shortly being a Daewoo Matiz, a Chevrolet Matiz and currently a Fiat Panda). Now Iíve only actually been driving for 3 years 9 months.

I also live in a fairly rural location despite the close proximity to the motorway so need a car that can handle that plus cope with the winter weather. As much as my Panda is a good car it doesnít overly handle heavy wind and rain well - and the snow recently I didnít even attempt until it was all pretty much gone.

I have access to the NHS Fleet Solutions through work so could get a car this way but it seems to be quite expensive, or I could look to leasing but Iím unsure how that would go given my dreadful credit rating. So Iím not even sure where to look for the best or even the best type of car?

Also given Iíve not been driving that long (I am 27 though) my insurance is still pretty high. Iíve thought of getting a black box but I drive a lot at nights due to being a shift worker. From reading it seems the times you drive are monitored so would I likely be penalised with the black box for the times I drive (which are out of my control)? For reference I mostly do 12 hour shifts which finish at either 7pm or 7am with the occasional 2100 / 2200 /2300 / 0200 / 0300 finish thrown in.

I would be very grateful for any help!
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 14th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    How about getting the car fixed and serviced so it will pass an MOT, and then worrying about what to buy next year?

What is actually wrong with the Panda?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 14th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    You don't give an idea of what your budget is. But a few comments, for what they're worth.

Firstly, 50 miles a day on a motorway is nothing. In fact, this is probably the ideal driving pattern in terms of being "kind" to the car.

Secondly, leasing a new car is an expensive way of going about things. Whichever way you dress it up, you're still shelling out for a new car.

Without knowing more details, I'd be tempted to suggest that your best ( i.e. most economical and "sensible" ) option would be to pay for the necessary repairs to get your current car through its MOT, and also treat it to a good service. If it costs a few hundred quid to do this, it will be far cheaper than replacing it with a new car. Of course, if the repairs are going to be several thousand, then it may be a different matter. But if it's just a case of spending a relatively small amount for another year's motoring, then it's often a case of "better the devil you know". In the meantime, you can be putting money aside each month into a savings account to buy yourself a shiny new ( or fairly young second-hand ) car in a couple of years' time.

Of course, a lot depends on how much you've got saved up, how much you can afford each month for the lease payments, insurance, maintenance, etc. But only you can make that decision.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • RainbowGirl90
    • By RainbowGirl90 14th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RainbowGirl90
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    So with the Panda, itís pretty reluctant to start and once you have got it started it stalls ridiculously easily (not just with me). So any change between first and reverse will peettt much cause a stall.

Otherwise itís just a number of little things but it doesnít alwaus feel safe to drive - particularly in high wind and rain.
    • RainbowGirl90
    • By RainbowGirl90 14th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RainbowGirl90
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    In terms of up front cash I currently have 600 in an account so as I said I have very little budget. Iím trying to put aside what I can.

The Panda is currently driving very much the way my Matiz was and the repairs for that wouldíve run well in to the thousands hence being replaced by the Panda last year.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 14th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,986 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    You can present your car for MOT 1 month before it's due, this might be sensible to find out what it's going to need. Once you know this information you'll be in a better position to decide if it is viable to repair it or replace it. Have you got a local friendly mechanic/garage who you trust to look at the car for you, or do you have a friend/family member who can recommend someone?

You say your credit limit is poor, is this something that can be rebuilt over a short space of time or not? The reason I ask is that the majority of finance available to people with poor history is usually at a phenomenal rate of interest and should be avoided. If you can get another year out of your current car, keep your finances in check and possibly save some money for a decent deposit, this would be a far better option. Personally, I'd avoid leasing.

240 miles per week equates to 12,000 per annum, some would argue this is slightly on the high side of average but 1000 miles per month isn't actually all that bad. Most small cars should cope with that commute with relative ease. Give us a budget and I'm sure you'll get a 100 suggestions!

At 27 with almost 4 years no claims (I assume?) you should be starting to get reasonable quotes, have you followed the guidance on MSE's main site? A telematics box shouldn't be necessary unless you have a bad driving record.

Best wishes
    Last edited by fatrab; 14-03-2018 at 4:04 PM.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 25/31 AFDs, 15/18 lunches.
    37 x £2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • laidbackgjr
    • By laidbackgjr 14th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,187 Thanks
    laidbackgjr
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    When was the Panda last serviced? - what age and mileage has it done?

I would not expect problems starting and stalling - perhaps a dragging clutch - needing a simple adjustment of the clutch cable? would cost thousands on a car as cheap and simple to maintain as a Panda.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 14th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:56 PM
    Get it MOT'd now to see what issues need to be addressed to pass and ask the garage to look into the stalling issue. If it's a reasonable amount then get it done and give the car a service if it hasn't had one recently. With bad credit, you're going to get stung for any finance deal on a newer car.

How old is the Panda? What mileage?
    • RainbowGirl90
    • By RainbowGirl90 14th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RainbowGirl90
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    I!!!8217;ll have to check mileage later, but the car is the old style from 2011 (11 plate).

The stalling / start issue is a new one, and there!!!8217;s been a few times where I!!!8217;ve thought it!!!8217;s not going to start this time due to the sputtering and reluctance to get going.

The car has recently had new brake discs and pads as they were completely worn.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 14th Mar 18, 6:45 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    I!!!8217;ll have to check mileage later, but the car is the old style from 2011 (11 plate).

The stalling / start issue is a new one, and there!!!8217;s been a few times where I!!!8217;ve thought it!!!8217;s not going to start this time due to the sputtering and reluctance to get going.

Originally posted by RainbowGirl90
    Discs and pads are consumables on any car - you can discount those - and you'd have to replace them on any car after a while anyway.

Best advice - get a decent mechanic to investigate the stalling issue. Starting - could be something as simple as a knackered battery, cheap and easy to DIY.

End of the day, your car is 7 years old ? That's nothing these days, and for something like a Panda where parts are cheap and easy to replace ... I'd be hanging on to it. Why on earth would you want to be thinking about committing to several thousands of pounds worth of debt, on a depreciating asset, when you could get years of motoring out of your current car and saving up in the meantime for something different if you want to ?
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • RainbowGirl90
    • By RainbowGirl90 14th Mar 18, 7:20 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RainbowGirl90
    Honestly I love the car bar not having remote locking. It!!!8217;s a bit of a pain only being to unlock it from the drivers side door but it!!!8217;s a minor thing.

I!!!8217;ve had issues with the cars spark plug and oil leaks in the past. But for the most part it!!!8217;s been a reliable drive but the jumpy struttery drive and the start and stalling issues concern me.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 14th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 10,119 Posts
    • 7,577 Thanks
    GunJack
    stalling/starting issue, it might just need a new fuel filter.....

honestly, as others have suggested, if it'll be a couple of hundred to get through the MoT, that's way better than thousands of debt on another metal box on wheels
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • MilduraS
    • By MilduraS 14th Mar 18, 10:52 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    MilduraS
    I don't want to suggest that you get a PCP deal as only you know your exact circumstances but you might find the below helpful when weighing up options.

Background- I'm 27 and I've had my licence for 9 years but haven't driven in 7 years. I have zero no claims bonus as a result. Due to work I now need to drive again and I've started refresher lessons. I debated getting an old car, leasing a car or getting a car on PCP. The old car option was ruled out almost immediately when I compared insurance quotes for a 10 year old Vauxhall Corsa- £2,600! and a one year old Corsa £650. On top of the insurance, the old car would likely need more work so I factored that in when I decided against an older car. I also liked the predictability of costs.

I chose a Skoda Citigo (their version of the VW UP!)
    Model type: SE L (the options in price order are S, SE, SE L)
    Transmission: Auto (adds more costs onto the already expensive SE L)
    Extras: Climate control (rather than manual air con), City safe with rain and light sensors (fancy braking system plus lights and wipers that take care of themselves), metallic blue paint (looks clean for longer I hope!)
    Mileage: 10,000 per year (Can be increased by dealer- he asked if I needed more)
    Additional miles above allowance: 3p per mile
    Deposit contribution: £1,500 from manufacturer
    My deposit: £1,500 (optional)
    Monthly payments: £150
    Fully comp insurance: £350 per year with £150 excess (no telematics)

I'm not a natural negotiator but on the way to the dealership my boyfriend suggested that I say my budget is £10-£20 under what the online configurator said my options would cost. I panicked and said my original budget of £150 when asked rather than the intended £140 so decided to add on the blue paint. The options above came to £167 per month (if I remember correctly) I then said something along the lines of "Oh right, ok. I better have a think about what options I should knock off" then started looking at the brochure. Without another word, the salesman excused himself then came back and said the manager had approved £150 with all of my options.

If you're not going for an automatic and you don't have your heart set on a top of the range car with extras it could be more affordable than you think. I assume other brands will also be able to increase the annual mileage when putting it through their system.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 14th Mar 18, 11:09 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    Ectophile
    2011 - that's newer than my Panda! And I have no intention of replacing mine for a couple of years yet.

I've driven mine in some pretty awful weather without problems. It probably would have been fine in the snow - most small front wheel drive cars are - but I bottled out and drove my tatty old Landy instead (that's a 2002 model and still going).

You sound like you're determined to buy a new car, and don't want to spend anything on servicing the old one. Instead, you could end up paying an extortionate interest rate on a nearly new car that you don't really need.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • RainbowGirl90
    • By RainbowGirl90 14th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RainbowGirl90
    In all honesty I donít want a new car. However, I do want a vehicle which I feel confident is going to last me . Given my experience with used cars (Matiz 1 lasted 5 months and Matiz 2 a shade over a year) Iím coming to the conclusion that I donít have much luck with them.

Whether Iíve been unlucky with my Panda I donít know but the wind has almost taken me in to the central reservation with her more than once.

In terms of putting money to service the car Iíve been bitten with that in the past. Matiz 2 i was throwing ridiculous amounts of money after with a new problem then arising. To the point where the final breakdown the fix wouldíve run in to thousands and been considerably more than the car was worth. A shame really because I loved that car. But my fear is throwing money at the Panda as I did with the Matiz and having a constant stream of problems popping up.

I canít help my past experience with cars and that has put me in this mindset. I would be perfectly happy to keep going with th Panda but I just donít want to land myself in the position I was last year
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 15th Mar 18, 4:01 AM
    • 2,874 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    Tarambor
    by RainbowGirl90
    So quite clearly then you never service it. It is most likely running like a bag of nails because it needs a service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

897Posts Today

6,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin