Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 14th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 3,794Posts
    • 4,657Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Sky Increase Prices
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    Sky Increase Prices 14th Mar 18 at 1:41 PM
    As I have received an e-mail from Sky informing me of price increases (albeit not very much), am I entitled to cancel my contract mid contract (I did this with BT earlier in the year when they increased their prices)?

I have tried reading the small print and there is this paragraph which makes me think I will still have to pay up to the end of my contract, but I don't quite understand it.

Replacement text for your Sky digital contract - Condition 11(d):
    The early termination charge shall not be any more than the charges you would have paid for the remainder of your Minimum Term (assuming you would have continued to subscribe to the same Option and Stand-alone Premium Channels) less any costs we save, including the cost of no longer providing you with the Service and the benefit to us in receiving payment early. You may be able to reduce the amount of these early termination charges by changing your Option (where permitted) and/or removing any Stand-alone Premium Channels in accordance with this Contract, provided such change takes effect before this Contract ends.

So I can cancel, but still have to pay a early termination charge? Doesn't seem fair when the only reason I am thinking of leaving is because they have put their prices up mid contract.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - 180,813.85
    Equity - 219,186.15
Page 1
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    I wouldn't worry about that paragraph as they have told you you can leave penalty free. Having said that if you have sky TV/phone/broadband you may not be able to cancel the TV element.
    Last edited by boatman; 14-03-2018 at 2:02 PM. Reason: ii
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 14th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 4,657 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    I wouldn't worry about that paragraph as they have told you you can leave penalty free.
    Originally posted by boatman
    Thanks. I am currently messaging them over my phone (which isn't the easiest thing - I would rather "chat" over the computer.

Where have they told me I can leave penalty free?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - 180,813.85
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    You've already been advised about this on two separate threads, why start up a new one?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 14th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,983 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    Where have they told me I can leave penalty free?
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    You haven't been, because you can't. Price rise get outs are not applicable to TV contracts. And the quote in your first post is about TV.

As said by Colin_Maybe above, the answer is the same as before. However, you have nothing to lose by calling them to ask if you can get it reduced. But they are in no way obliged to do anything for you.

• JakethePeg99
    • By JakethePeg99 14th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JakethePeg99
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    Not happy, was told on two online chats and 1 phone conversation, that there is no early termination charges for my broadband package because of the price increase, Now I have just received a message saying i have a charge for early termination of pay as you talk. Grrrrr, Will be phoning them tomorrow.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 14th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    • 2,983 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    Not happy, was told on two online chats and 1 phone conversation, that there is no early termination charges for my broadband package because of the price increase, Now I have just received a message saying i have a charge for early termination of pay as you talk. Grrrrr, Will be phoning them tomorrow.
    Originally posted by JakethePeg99
    As long as you told them you were leaving becuase of the price rise, and it was within 30 adys of them letting you know about the rise, then yes you can leave penalty free.

It's probably just a (very poor) automated message that automatically gets sent to anyone leaving in their minimum term. I seem to remember people being told by BT they would be charged but when they questioned it they were told the message was incorrect.

• JakethePeg99
    • By JakethePeg99 14th Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JakethePeg99
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    As long as you told them you were leaving becuase of the price rise, and it was within 30 adys of them letting you know about the rise, then yes you can leave penalty free.

It's probably just a (very poor) automated message that automatically gets sent to anyone leaving in their minimum term. I seem to remember people being told by BT they would be charged but when they questioned it they were told the message was incorrect.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    I received a text and a message on my sky account saying I have a termination fee. I told them I was leaving because of the price increase, I have another sky account message confirming no penalty for the broadband.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,664Posts Today

7,606Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin