Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 14th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 286Posts
    • 152Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair doubles seat reservation cost
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair doubles seat reservation cost 14th Mar 18 at 1:02 PM
    Ryanair has doubled the cost of reserving a standard seat as it continues its policy of 'randomly' allocating if you don't pay...
    Read the full story:
    'Ryanair doubles the cost of its cheapest seat reservations'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    Wasn't the 2 charge marked as half price anyway?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 60,339 Posts
    • 42,994 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    I am surprised at how little Ryanair charge actually, I've got a few BA fares this year and the price to pre book a seat on their is sky high. From memory I paid 10 each per basic seat, no extra leg room or anything.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 14th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    For balance, where is the detail of what other airlines charge?
    • minislim
    • By minislim 14th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    minislim
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    hahaha! o'leary is a clown! the more he does this the more i steer clear of his dodgy company!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    I am surprised at how little Ryanair charge actually, I've got a few BA fares this year and the price to pre book a seat on their is sky high. From memory I paid 10 each per basic seat, no extra leg room or anything.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Of course BA charge nothing if you select your seat 24 hours prior to departure.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 62,515 Posts
    • 366,198 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    If people can't sit on their own for a couple of hours on a flight, should they be leaving the house at all?
    • Kingsd316
    • By Kingsd316 14th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Kingsd316
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    I just paid 39.50 for 3 people to select my seats with TUI (standard seating, 2 adults 1 child), Flight out and in so that's over 6 per seat.

All the airlines are at it
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:46 PM
    hahaha! o'leary is a clown! the more he does this the more i steer clear of his dodgy company!
    Originally posted by minislim
    No offence but i doubt if this make his company go bust
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Zeitgeist
    • By Zeitgeist 14th Mar 18, 4:59 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Zeitgeist
    You don't book seats, and when you board you say, excuse me, would you mind sitting here so I can sit next to my boyfriend / girlfriend / partner / significant other, and put on a puppy face.

People move.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 60,339 Posts
    • 42,994 Thanks
    soolin
    If people can't sit on their own for a couple of hours on a flight, should they be leaving the house at all?
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Plenty of reasons why people choose to pay to sit together and I find your comment rather odd, I realise I am lucky to be able to afford to choose my seats- but that doesn't mean I would be rude to those who for whatever reason choose not to do so.

I enjoy my holidays and travel a lot and will always book seats as I actually enjoy sitting next to my OH , we can chat or make plans, rather than risk sitting several seats apart and forced to wave at each other.
    Last edited by soolin; 14-03-2018 at 6:15 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • cheapholidayguru
    • By cheapholidayguru 14th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cheapholidayguru
    This isn't actually as bad as lots of other airlines! On short-haul flights, I do question whether it is worth paying for it at all.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 14th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 8,835 Posts
    • 25,301 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    4 is still IIRC less than I could have paid Wizzair yesterday to reserve a set seat on their flights.

The route I'll be travelling on usually has a half empty plane anyway where Ryanair doesn't, so plenty of room to move around. I actually ended up being 'upgraded' for free to the exit row both ways, going out (night flight) having the row to myself to stretch out and fall asleep on.

Also, I've always found people are more than happy to move if it makes sense. On a flight in November I was allocated the 'dreaded' middle seat between a couple who had paid for the outer two. For the flight I ended up by the window.

As above, BA charge around 10 to guarantee a seat, and as Ryanair for me is a lot more convenient for personal travel usually and the flights are often cheaper than discounted fares I can get elsewhere, 4 represents good value for money overall if the service is required.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 15th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Could this increase be Mr.O'Leary's revenge for the ending of a % surcharge on credit card payments ?
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 15th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Originally posted by minislim
    Michael O'Leary is a billionaire.Ryanair will carry around 130 million passengers this year.
    O'Leary is not a clown and Ryanair is far from a dodgy airline.
    Without it spearheading the low-fares revolution in Europe we'd still be paying a fortune to travel comparatively short distances.
    • VT82
    • By VT82 15th Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    VT82
    I miss Monarch. I always get that fear in the pit of my stomach that I've messed something up when I'm on my way to the airport for a Ryanair flight. I can't be the only one? A holiday shouldn't start like that. Never had that feeling with Monarch.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 60,339 Posts
    • 42,994 Thanks
    soolin
    I miss Monarch. I always get that fear in the pit of my stomach that I've messed something up when I'm on my way to the airport for a Ryanair flight. I can't be the only one? A holiday shouldn't start like that. Never had that feeling with Monarch.
    Originally posted by VT82
    I miss Monarch as well, they had the exact times I wanted for my trips, I often picked up mega cheap flights out to Malaga, seats and luggage included for just over 100 each. This year I was shocked at how much more I was going to have to pay on other airlines.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,354Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin