Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wanderlust23
    • By wanderlust23 14th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 609Thanks
    wanderlust23
    First Direct switching bonus
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    First Direct switching bonus 14th Mar 18 at 1:00 PM
    Hi,

I opened a First Direct account beginning of January and so the 3 month deadline to switch is approaching (currently awaiting NatWest bonus to be paid before I switch) however I was just wondering if the switch has to be complete within 3 months of opening the account or just initiated within 3 months?

Thanks
Page 1
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 14th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    radoslaff
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    If I had such a question, I would have called them. They have a very good and helpful customer service.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 7,119 Posts
    • 7,539 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    https://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/banking/switching-bank-accounts says
    switch your everyday banking to us using the Current Account Switch Service and pay in at least 1,000 within three months of opening the account
    which to me suggests completion rather than initiation, but it could be academic anyway if the FD account was opened at the "beginning of January" but OP is waiting for a NatWest bonus payment that is scheduled to be made by 13 April according to the terms of their offer.
    • wanderlust23
    • By wanderlust23 14th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    wanderlust23
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    https://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/banking/switching-bank-accounts says which to me suggests completion rather than initiation, but it could be academic anyway if the FD account was opened at the "beginning of January" but OP is waiting for a NatWest bonus payment that is scheduled to be made by 13 April according to the terms of their offer.
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Thank you, I'm hoping it will be paid before but if not I'll have to open another account with the sole intention of switching.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    I suggest that you open a second account with a bank who you already hold an account with and initiate the switch to First Direct of that account. You are unlikely to receive the NatWest bonus in time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,537Posts Today

9,156Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin