Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clivemillard
    • By clivemillard 14th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    clivemillard
    0 WOW
    Sea Princess disaster
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    0 WOW
    Sea Princess disaster 14th Mar 18 at 12:46 PM
    Am I entitled to a refund from a recent cruise I went on.
    We went half way around the world to do a cruise from Brisbane to Port Douglas, stopping off at 4 places, Airlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas and Willis Island.
    We were ticking off places to see from our bucket list.
    The captain could not stop at any of the 4 places instead he threw the Health and Safety card in every time. Everyone on the ship were fed up to say the least, including the staff.
    On the way back he stopped at Airlie Beach and we got a tender into port (think he would have been lynched if he hadn't done this). This still didn't work for seeing the Barrier Reef as all the trips had gone by the time we got into port.
    Left details with the ships reception on my disappointment from this cruise but got no feedback.
    Sent 2 emails when I got back home about my disappointment but still no response.
    Eventually had the British team from Princess Cruises fight my case, but was told there was no compensation due.
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 8,815 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    So why are you telling us this is a bargain...?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 14th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    The captain could not stop at any of the 4 places.
    Originally posted by clivemillard
    does the contract cover what happens in the case of missed ports (which is sometimes unavoidable) we were in the west indies last year and had a couple of ports changed due weather...it did mean that some people missed ports they were looking forward to and the places we went to were 'unprepared' but that just comes with the territory having dependancies on weather, currents etc
    There are a couple of reviews of your cruise on cruise critic and it seems the weather was pretty bad
    I would request a refund of the port charges for the ports missed I am sure some cruise lines may offer some future credit in similar instances
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 15th Mar 18, 12:16 AM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 3,649 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:16 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:16 AM
    This forum is just for posting holiday deals. Moving to correct forum

Hi, we move threads if we think they!!!8217;ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 15th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 15th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    The captain could not stop at any of the 4 places instead he threw the Health and Safety card in every time.
    Would you rather he endangered the safety of the ship, passengers and crew ?

Any experienced cruiser will tell you that intended ports of call sometimes have to be cancelled due to weather etc.

Happened to us several times.
    • 814man
    • By 814man 15th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    814man
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    I think the title of the thread is rather misleading. A real disaster is a tragic event where many lives can be lost. It sounds like the captain of your ship was actually taking appropriate action to prevent one from occurring.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 15th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 7,719 Posts
    • 11,279 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    I think the title of the thread is rather misleading. A real disaster is a tragic event where many lives can be lost. It sounds like the captain of your ship was actually taking appropriate action to prevent one from occurring.
    Originally posted by 814man
    I agree, I clicked expecting to read about another European Gateway or Herald of Free Enterprise type event.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 15th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    We returned a couple of weeks ago from a cruise across the Pacific Ocean. Because of a cyclone, we couldn’t visit Bora Bora or the Cook Islands which was disappointing. However, cruise ships have to avoid adverse weather conditions and this is just one of those things. Both of these destinations are tender ports so even more difficult. We stayed longer in Tahiti and Auckland which helped make up for some of the disappointment. Unfortunately it is cyclone weather in this area between November and April so just a chance you take. This also affects the Queensland area of Australia.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 15th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 10,661 Posts
    • 23,773 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    I agree, I clicked expecting to read about another European Gateway or Herald of Free Enterprise type event.
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Same...Sounds like he was playing it safe.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin