Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boring1
    • By boring1 14th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 68Posts
    • 29Thanks
    boring1
    Buyer 2nd viewing - confused!
    • #1
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    Buyer 2nd viewing - confused! 14th Mar 18 at 12:31 PM
    Hi
    I accepted an offer on my property yesterday and subsequently had an offer accepted on one I want to purchase.

    My buyer has provided details of deposit and AIP to agent.

    I have just paid my broker for my AIP.

    Now agent has rang and said buyer wants to know what the chain is like and come for 2nd viewing before he fully commits.

    Is this normal?

    Thanks
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 44,124 Posts
    • 52,318 Thanks
    G_M
    • #2
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • #2
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    Yes, to both requests.

    He's excited about his new house, wants to see it again, and wants to know how soon this purchase will go through.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • #3
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • #3
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    Fairly normal to want to understand the situation with the chain above. Perhaps less normal to decide whether to commit or not after having an offer accepted.

    However, probably best to get this sorted now, rather than several weeks down the line.
    • boring1
    • By boring1 14th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    boring1
    • #4
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • #4
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    The agent has told me not to instruct my solicitor for my purchase just yet though - which makes me nervous!
    • nicmyles
    • By nicmyles 14th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    nicmyles
    • #5
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • #5
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    I would be wondering how serious a buyer they are if they hadn't inquired about the chain before putting an offer in, and didn't see making an offer as a firm commitment.

    I wouldn't take it off the market, basically.
    • boring1
    • By boring1 14th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    boring1
    • #6
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • #6
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    I have told Agent to leave it on the market.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 11,998 Posts
    • 75,088 Thanks
    kittie
    • #7
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • #7
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    I am a genuine cash buyer and have only been on one viewing, the property was not for me but it sold the next day. There are not that many properties in my chosen area and a friend of my husbands will be coming down on a second visit with me to cast his experienced structural engineer eye over, on a superficial level before I engage expensive surveyors

    I will be making the decision on the first viewing, if I think it is for me then I will be negotiating my offer immediately, subject to withdrawing it from market. The second viewing will be with my friends, after I have offered and there will be a third and final viewing to measure up. If it remains on the market after I put an offer in, then I will simply walk away.
    Last edited by kittie; 14-03-2018 at 1:08 PM.
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 14th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    • #8
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • #8
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    Yes as others have said, perfectly normal for a buyer to return for a second or third viewing, but questioning the chain and deciding whether to commit after having msde an offer seems a bit odd. This should have happened *before* they made the offer. Maybe they wanted to 'reserve' it just in case.
    I think in this case, I'd be leaving my property firmly on the market until they actually show commitment by booking a survey and instructing a solicitor.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 10,530 Posts
    • 13,704 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • #9
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • #9
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    Never advisable to spend any money until the chain is complete.


    Maybe your buyer has only just learnt this.


    Is your purchase the top of the chain? If not, that's why you've been told not to instruct your solicitor yet. Or maybe they know the buyer is offering on several properties.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • laidbackgjr
    • By laidbackgjr 14th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,187 Thanks
    laidbackgjr
    I wonder if by commit - they mean commit to spending money on surveys etc - no point doing that until the entire chain is complete.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,804 Thanks
    shortcrust
    After my offer was excepted my seller asked the EA to get in touch to arrange a second viewing for me. I really wanted to see the place again so was happy to view for a second time. On arrival he said ‘now this is a big decision and you can’t possibly make it after only seeing the place once’ which was lovely. That said, I think it was mainly because he wanted to enjoy telling me how he’d turned down higher offers because he thought I’d appreciate the place more. Which is fair enough I reckon!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

874Posts Today

6,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin