Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 14th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 19,215Posts
    • 58,358Thanks
    Oblivion
    Windows Updates Killed My Computer
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    Windows Updates Killed My Computer 14th Mar 18 at 12:02 PM
    Switched on my old faithful Dell T3600 workstation this morning and got the popup saying 2 important windows updates available so I let them download and install while I went and showered. Came back to the usual Restart Now message which I did and that was the end of Windows 7. Dead as a dodo.

Repair tool couldn't fix it, refused to boot into safe mode so couldn't even try a Restore point.

Fortunately I clone my C; drive on a regular basis so I was able to swap in the clone I made at the end of February and I'm back in business ... Phew! But this has made me very worried about Windows Updates ... ok it may have been a coincidence but I doubt it. Are MS trying to kill off Windows 7 the quick way?

Anyone else experienced a similar computer death recently while using WU?
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 12th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
Page 1
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 14th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,710 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    killed my cat as well !

she was old and outdated as well
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 14th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 7,341 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    I'm sick of them. Win 10 update keeps failing on this machine, and yet it's been trying every day for the past few days.
    I've tried just about everything I can to turn it off, and I can't.
    Having tried jumping through hoops in the past to get the a previous update working, I can't be bothered. A future update will no doubt sort it, as it has in the past.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 14th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    Switched on my old faithful Dell T3600 workstation this morning and got the popup saying 2 important windows updates available so I let them download and install while I went and showered. Came back to the usual Restart Now message which I did and that was the end of Windows 7. Dead as a dodo.

Repair tool couldn't fix it, refused to boot into safe mode so couldn't even try a Restore point.

Fortunately I clone my C; drive on a regular basis so I was able to swap in the clone I made at the end of February and I'm back in business ... Phew! But this has made me very worried about Windows Updates ... ok it may have been a coincidence but I doubt it. Are MS trying to kill off Windows 7 the quick way?

Anyone else experienced a similar computer death recently while using WU?
    Originally posted by Oblivion
    where have you been the last couple of years you missed a free upgrade - win10 is the latest os:-)

you will have to upgrade at some point in the future. may as well do it sooner
    Last edited by dipsomaniac; 14-03-2018 at 1:00 PM.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 14th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    you will have to upgrade at some point in the future.
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac

err...no, you possibly won't.. and anyway, W10 updates have probably killed/crippled more machines to date than updates to any other versions of windows..

Lots of those machines were tootling along happily (and would have continued to) on W7 until MS persuaded their owners to get the latest, greatest (bag of carp) W10
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    err...no, you possibly won't.. and anyway, W10 updates have probably killed/crippled more machines to date than updates to any other versions of windows..

Lots of those machines were tootling along happily (and would have continued to) on W7 until MS persuaded their owners to get the latest, greatest (bag of carp) W10
    Originally posted by GunJack
    W10 has also saved a lot of machines and made them run like new.
    It's amazing how people easily forget the pages of problems people would post about W7.
    Each to their own, but, I've had no problems with W10 and consider it better than W7 and for home users, easier to use.
    That said, there is nothing wrong with W7 and those who wish to stick with it (For whatever reason) should be OK for the next couple of years at least, after that???...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 6,137 Posts
    • 9,701 Thanks
    Farway
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    I've just downloaded W7 updates, and created restore point before I started. Here's hoping with fingers crossed
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 14th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    That said, there is nothing wrong with W7 and those who wish to stick with it (For whatever reason) should be OK for the next couple of years at least, after that???...
    Originally posted by RumRat
    It will probably last the lifetime of the machines I still have it on. If they are still going when Win7 is EOL they will run Linux Mint just fine.

My children have Win10 on their PCs. It's not obviously better than Win7 and has a slightly more annoying interface. I don't see the point myself.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 14th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    My children have Win10 on their PCs. It's not obviously better than Win7 and has a slightly more annoying interface. I don't see the point myself.
    Originally posted by mgfvvc
    Some people think that the OS they use or the car they drive makes them superior to others. It's petty tragic, but its the only way that some people can feel a sense of satisfaction from their vacuous lives.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 14th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 7,341 Thanks
    Jackmydad

And although I did upgrade from 7 to 10, I'm still waiting to find out what the catch is.
    The "operating system as a service" seems to be a big thing to MS. And you pay for that type of service monthly.
    I'll be off to Linux then. I would now if I didn't play games.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 14th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 3,049 Thanks
    Robisere
    I have Windows update set to "Check for Updates but let me choose whether to Download and Install them."

Control Panel --> Windows Update --> Change Settings.

When go into Updates, I block out each update one by one with the mouse, right click on the first and click "More Information" on the RH side. The information about the Update comes up in my browser and I can take a look at it. If I decide I need it, I go back and install it. If I think it doesn't apply, I don't take it. I do that for every Update.

Incidentally, when I booted up this morning, Windows gave me a message: "Updates are ready for your computer" Later, I checked in Control Panel --> Windows Updates. There are no Updates showing: I wonder if there is a problem with the latest Update(s) and Windows has pulled them?

I am not getting into the Windows7 vs. Windows10 War, it's nonsense. Everyone does what they wish on their own machine. I know that I will probably have to go to 10 eventually, but I will when I am ready. I don't need anyone talking me into it, Microsoft lost enough custom trying to force people onto 10.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 14th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Well I installed the Monthly Quality Roll-up and the malicious software removal tool without problem - for a change - but I declined, yet again to install KB2952664.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 6,137 Posts
    • 9,701 Thanks
    Farway
    All my W7 updates have now installed on my PC without any perceivable problem at present
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 14th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 3,049 Thanks
    Robisere
    Just got these two Updates back, downloaded and installed OK:

Windows Malicious software Removal Tool (KB890830)
    Security Monthly Quality Rollupfor Windows7 for x64-based Systems (KB4088875)

To repeat an earlier Thread: there is absolutely no Win8 or Win10 upgrade feature within KB2952664. But it's your choice. It's been installed in my O/S now for months without problems.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 14th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 19,215 Posts
    • 58,358 Thanks
    Oblivion
    Update
    I've now had time to swap in another clone of my C: drive ... windows running perfectly ... ran the Windows Updates again and with the same result ... can't boot into Windows, it kills it dead.

I have run Malwarebytes, scf/scannow, Norton AV and no issues found. So, my finger is still pointing at Microsoft.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 12th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 14th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    esuhl
    I've now had time to swap in another clone of my C: drive ... windows running perfectly ... ran the Windows Updates again and with the same result ... can't boot into Windows, it kills it dead.
    Originally posted by Oblivion
    I'd try running the System Update Readiness Tool, which tries to fix corruptions in Windows Update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 14th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    dipsomaniac

possibly, probably aren't facts. are you saying you will never progress to a newer os? you have to move on. how many people hanging on to 7 used older versions of windows?

W10 has also saved a lot of machines and made them run like new.
    true. i have a couple of xp laptops that have been rejuvenated

Some people think that the OS they use or the car they drive makes them superior to others. It's petty tragic, but its the only way that some people can feel a sense of satisfaction from their vacuous lives.
    that is one of the most pathetic statements i have seen on here. win10 costs nothing it is not a status symbol its about keeping your os up to date and secure

this has been covered before but i thought that you didn't own windows but just licenced the software
    Last edited by dipsomaniac; 14-03-2018 at 7:51 PM.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    • 20,102 Posts
    • 15,823 Thanks
    agrinnall
    The "operating system as a service" seems to be a big thing to MS. And you pay for that type of service monthly.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    Have you any evidence at all that MS intend to start charging Windows users a monthly fee? Or even heard any tittle-tattle? Because the only thing I've heard about it is your post, so unless you can show some source I'll be ignoring your scaremongering.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 14th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    esuhl
    that is one of the most pathetic statements i have seen on here. win10 costs nothing it is not a status symbol its about keeping your os up to date and secure
    The most pathetic statements I see on here are people who mock others based on their choice of OS!

It's not about cost, it's about the one-upmanship of seeing brands as embodying values you aspire to. Some people proudly flaunt their Windows 10 badge as a way of feeling smug about their own choices. It's the same reason that people queue for days to buy the latest Apple phone.

Instead of helping people, the thread gets derailed into the merits of "my OS is better than yours". Most of the time it isn't relevant as the OP has no interest in changing OS.

Windows 7 remains a popular OS. Security updates are still available.

this has been covered before but i thought that you didn't own windows but just licenced the software
    Eh? What's that got to do with anything?
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Mar 18, 10:32 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    RumRat
    The most pathetic statements I see on here are people who mock others based on their choice of OS!

It's not about cost, it's about the one-upmanship of seeing brands as embodying values you aspire to. Some people proudly flaunt their Windows 10 badge as a way of feeling smug about their own choices. It's the same reason that people queue for days to buy the latest Apple phone.

Instead of helping people, the thread gets derailed into the merits of "my OS is better than yours". Most of the time it isn't relevant as the OP has no interest in changing OS.

Windows 7 remains a popular OS. Security updates are still available.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Not really seen anyone 'mock' anyone else over their choice.
    There is a discussion going on, where users are offering different experiences and opinions.
    This is what happens on forums, regardless of the OP.
    If you want an example of smug superiority, maybe you should re-read your posts..
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,595Posts Today

6,435Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin