Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stu-vfr
    • By stu-vfr 14th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stu-vfr
    hit by an uninsured car drive
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    hit by an uninsured car drive 14th Mar 18 at 11:28 AM
    What are the implications of being hit by an uninsured driver? Is there an industry scheme to pay for repairs etc or would I be left high and dry?
    Thanks
    Stuart
Page 1
    • Reardoa
    • By Reardoa 14th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Reardoa
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-uninsured-driver/
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 35,556 Posts
    • 19,760 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    If you have cover for damage to your own car (comprehensive cover) see if it has any special cover when you are the victim of an uninsured driver (some do have cover whereby you don't lose NCD when hit by an uninsured driver)

Otherwise if you have comprehensive cover you can claim off that (but bear in mind the excess as well as loss of NCD).

It will be a quicker way to get this dealt with than by using the MIB scheme
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 14th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    Was the car itself insured for another driver?

If so then I'm fairly certain that it's up to that insurer to pay you out & reclaim the money from the uninsured driver (happened to me about 10 years ago - the car had been stolen and hit my car, owners insurance paid for my damage).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin