Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 14th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 91Posts
    • 25Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Usio Energy
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Usio Energy 14th Mar 18 at 11:06 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Usio Energy Supply

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 8
    • markipad
    • By markipad 6th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    markipad
    Pleased to report that First Utility is now shown as BOTH my electricity supplier AND gas supplier, having checked through my electrical distributor, Western Power, and Findmysupplier for Gas.

That's good, then, because I've just started a switch away from First Utility!

For the first time, I'm trying separate suppliers - Zog have got a fixed 2-year deal on gas, so I've gone for that one, and Yorkshire Electricity fixed 1 year for electricity. Both of these have no penalties for early switching.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Nov 18, 4:33 PM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Pleased to report that First Utility is now shown as BOTH my electricity supplier AND gas supplier, having checked through my electrical distributor, Western Power, and Findmysupplier for Gas.

That's good, then, because I've just started a switch away from First Utility!

For the first time, I'm trying separate suppliers - Zog have got a fixed 2-year deal on gas, so I've gone for that one, and Yorkshire Electricity fixed 1 year for electricity. Both of these have no penalties for early switching.
    Originally posted by markipad

Have you had confirmation that the switches are complete ? Or are you just flying by the seat of your pants I'm loath to start a switch away unless I'm sure that I'm actually a First Utility customer. If nothing has happened by tomorrow I was going to try a phone call.
    • markipad
    • By markipad 6th Nov 18, 4:54 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    markipad
    Have you had confirmation that the switches are complete ? Or are you just flying by the seat of your pants I'm loath to start a switch away unless I'm sure that I'm actually a First Utility customer. If nothing has happened by tomorrow I was going to try a phone call.
    Originally posted by brewerdave

Good point; I'm going by the references on the Western Power, and Findmyspplier, and also that FU have asked for opening readings. I have been able to put in both gas and electricity, and the electricity one has since been flagged as "industry". But yes, I guess I'm "flying by the.........."
    • bazman23
    • By bazman23 6th Nov 18, 7:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    bazman23
    ive just done a comparison and the cheapest fixed deal is a saving of £50 and thats with TOTO energy im wondering if i should just hold out for a better deal as TOTO seem to be going down hill at the moment. i was expecting to see a saving of £100 plus!
    • Dave save
    • By Dave save 7th Nov 18, 10:05 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    Dave save
    I've been told verbally by FU that the switch was completed on 3rd November, and my Usio balance is still being finalised by FU. I initially did a quick comparison of FU to other suppliers over the period to 30 April 2019 and found them to be £25 more expensive than the cheapest, EON. Over 12 months it's a £40 saving with EON plus the cashback on the MSE Club. I've started the switch. I haven't been debited at all by FU as yet, and I just hope that FU don't block the switch because they say I'm in debt.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 7th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I haven't been debited at all by FU as yet, and I just hope that FU don't block the switch because they say I'm in debt.
    Originally posted by Dave save

Theoretically you can't be in debt because they haven't raised a bill and given you time to pay it HOWEVER some of the small suppliers including Iresa have stopped switches away in similar circumstances.
    I've checked my distributor's site today and FU are now listed as my supplier ,so I'm starting a switch today!!
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 7th Nov 18, 11:19 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    'Find My supplier' say FU are my Gas supplier now too, but FU have not asked for a opening read yet, plus I don't have the credit balance from Usio. Do people who have started a switch have these?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Nov 18, 11:31 AM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 4,270 Thanks
    Hengus
    'Find My supplier' say FU are my Gas supplier now too, but FU have not asked for a opening read yet, plus I don't have the credit balance from Usio. Do people who have started a switch have these?
    Originally posted by beefturnmail
    To get an informed answer, we need the chronology. It would seem from you suggest that your switch has gone through. If the supplier hasn't asked you for meter readings, then these will be estimated by the Data Collectors. This process can take 10 to 14 days.

The losing supplier has 6 weeks from the actual day of transfer to raise a Final Bill. This will be based on the agreed transfer readings.

Personally, I would speak to the gaining supplier and offer them some meter readings.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 9th Nov 18, 12:42 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    First Utility are now definitely listed as both my Gas and Electricity supplier, (by e.g. the Meter provider helpline) but FU have still not contacted me to ask for an opening Gas reading. So I provided it unprompted yesterday, and its now showing on the account as the opening gas reading backdated to 3rd November (the same date as the 'official' electricity opening reading.

Reckon I can initiate a switch away now? (I want to do this before midnight Tuesday, as I have a £100 referral code from Bulb...)
    • theyiddo
    • By theyiddo 9th Nov 18, 1:02 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    theyiddo
    Just had FU confirm over the phone that I've fully switched to them....so looks like I'll be transferring asap. Pure Planet coming out tops at the moment for me - just a bit concerned how much they intend to increase their prices though.
    • markipad
    • By markipad 9th Nov 18, 3:46 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    markipad
    Originally posted by beefturnmail

No sign of my credit balance from Usio yet, but I decided to press ahead anyway with the switch. I am confident that FU will catch up in due course. I daren't wait around on their "special" tariff!

Also, I am hopeful that my anticipated credit balance from Usio will cover the small amount of time that I will have been stuck with FU.
    Last edited by markipad; 09-11-2018 at 3:54 PM. Reason: extra info
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 9th Nov 18, 4:29 PM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just had FU confirm over the phone that I've fully switched to them....so looks like I'll be transferring asap. Pure Planet coming out tops at the moment for me - just a bit concerned how much they intend to increase their prices though.
    Originally posted by theyiddo

Hope you have more luck than me with the Pure Planet app based service - couldn't get it to install /run on any of our various tablets so no go for me.
    I've also started a switch of my leccy - as for markipad,I think that my credit with Usio should cover usage with FU !!
    • bazman23
    • By bazman23 9th Nov 18, 6:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    bazman23
    what kind of savings are you guys seeing by switching away from FU? ive put in my tariff and my yearly usage from a previous supplier but im only getting a saving of £50
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 9th Nov 18, 7:36 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    About £80 doing the comparison to April (I have historic readings), plus another £100 in a referrall fee if I switch to Bulb before midnight Tuesday (using a friend's referral codes, but you can find some on a dedicated thread here too)
    • theyiddo
    • By theyiddo 10th Nov 18, 9:07 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    theyiddo
    what kind of savings are you guys seeing by switching away from FU? ive put in my tariff and my yearly usage from a previous supplier but im only getting a saving of £50
    Originally posted by bazman23

Moving away from FU will save me £250 a year at current rates.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Nov 18, 9:18 AM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 4,270 Thanks
    Hengus
    Moving away from FU will save me £250 a year at current rates.
    How are you calculating your saving given the extraordinary increases in energy costs? if you are on a fixed tariff with less than 12 months to run, then any savings shown on a price comparison site are incorrect. You may know this already.
    • theyiddo
    • By theyiddo 10th Nov 18, 9:31 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    theyiddo
    How are you calculating your saving given the extraordinary increases in energy costs? if you are on a fixed tariff with less than 12 months to run, then any savings shown on a price comparison site are incorrect. You may know this already.
    Originally posted by Hengus

I simply assume the rate I have been put by FU on lasts for 12mths - its the easiest thing to do, even though I know the FU rate will end at end Apr. Who knows what rates will be available in Apr when the FU tariff ends - they may even have gone down (as unlikely as that sounds!). Either way, as long as I am on the FU tariff, then I am paying on average c£20pm more than I need to currently - and to be honest, it will be more than this pm as the FU tariff is for the winter period only and has a high pu rate on gas.
    Last edited by theyiddo; 10-11-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Nov 18, 10:26 AM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 4,270 Thanks
    Hengus
    I simply assume the rate I have been put by FU on lasts for 12mths - its the easiest thing to do, even though I know the FU rate will end at end Apr. Who knows what rates will be available in Apr when the FU tariff ends - they may even have gone down (as unlikely as that sounds!). Either way, as long as I am on the FU tariff, then I am paying on average c£20pm more than I need to currently - and to be honest, it will be more than this pm as the FU tariff is for the winter period only and has a high pu rate on gas.
    Ofgem's methodology requires suppliers and PCWs to use a rolling 12 months cost projection. For example, a customer whose supply transfers one day before the end of a fixed term contract will have an annual cost of 1 day on present tariff and 364 days on the supplier's SVT. This leads to an artificially inflated cost. Switching to another fixed tariff appears to give a cost saving when, in truth, the annual cost is more than the fixed tariff the customer was on.

Monthly DD payments mean nothing: they are just payments made on account from which actual charges are taken. What matters is the annual cost based on realistic energy predictions in kWhs/year.

Ofgem's 'flawed' methodology allows some energy switch promoters to make claims such as "Mr A saved £350 by switching a year ago, and he will say another £250 by switching again now" Mr A might well get a surprise when he finds that he is actually paying more for his energy use.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Nov 18, 10:37 AM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Somewhat surprised to receive a "sorry you are leaving" email from FU last night. Only started my switch on Weds. so I expected the new supplier to leave it a bit further into the cooling off period before telling FU. Don't think I've had such an email so early in the process before.
    I've based my "savings" on the assumption that I would have had the "benefit" of FU's special rate until next November. The figure is £140pa (altho' ~ £100pa more than the late,lamented Iresa)
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Nov 18, 10:49 AM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 4,270 Thanks
    Hengus
    Somewhat surprised to receive a "sorry you are leaving" email from FU last night. Only started my switch on Weds. so I expected the new supplier to leave it a bit further into the cooling off period before telling FU. Don't think I've had such an email so early in the process before.
    I've based my "savings" on the assumption that I would have had the "benefit" of FU's special rate until next November. The figure is £140pa (altho' ~ £100pa more than the late,lamented Iresa)
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    For electricity only switches, the losing supplier only has 5 days to lodge an objection: dual fuel is 14 days. I am not sure about gas. I got this information from Octopus. If your new supplier is signed up to 17 day switching, the transfer process is started immediately. A late contract cancellation can end up being a reverse transfer.

The ‘late lamented’ Iresa lost over £6M in the 6 months up to the 30 June according to Deloitte insolvency.
    Last edited by Hengus; 10-11-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,261Posts Today

7,293Users online

Martin's Twitter