Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • juliebunny
    • By juliebunny 14th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1,621Posts
    • 7,965Thanks
    juliebunny
    How to haggle for a kitchen?!
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    How to haggle for a kitchen?! 14th Mar 18 at 10:00 AM
    Has anyone had success haggling with any of the big kitchen providers such as Howdens, Wickes, Magnet or even local firms?

I'm reluctant to accept the first quotes because I know they will have sales but I'd really like my new kitchen over the summer. I'm not planning to use their installation services.

Thanks !!!128522;
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
Page 1
    • cranford
    • By cranford 14th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    cranford
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    You don't need to haggle if you are going to fit it yourself.
    Look at http://www.diy-kitchens.com/about-diy-kitchens/price-and-quality-comparison/

I did this six years ago and kitchen is still as new.
    Units come pre assembled glued and dowed (unless you require otherwise), good range of sizes available to fill all those gaps, Units are colour coded so you don't need end panels, plinths, cornices and pelmets all at a good price.
    You will find others on this forum have used DIY-Kitchens.
    • juliebunny
    • By juliebunny 14th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1,621 Posts
    • 7,965 Thanks
    juliebunny
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    Definitely not fitting myself, but l'll see what my builder thinks. Yes I've seen that website talked about on other threads. It's hard to think about buying a kitchen I haven't seen in person though...
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 14th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    • 25,000 Posts
    • 68,479 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    I think the easiest way to haggle is to have more than one price and play them off against each other.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 14th Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    Having our kitchen from a local firm meant that the owner included a number of things which should have had a charge. Pull out racks in two deep cupboards for example.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Furts
    • By Furts 14th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 4,219 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Furts
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    Have a quiet word with a friend in the building trade. Offer to buy them a beer, or a meal, and pick their brains on value. No answer can be given here because there are a multitude of unknowns, and different qualities, within kitchens.

Do not overlook local builders merchants - many have kitchen showrooms, and they are used to dealing with the building trade. This means less Swiss Tony type characters, coupled with down to earth talking without a multitude of spin that goes with countless kitchens.

Controversially, and I get shot down for saying this, I have yet to come across an independent retailer that is any good. OK with high end and high priced German kitchens they are bound to be out there but for ordinary folks, with ordinary homes, dealing with ordinary independents it is all a pointless exercise.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 15th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,334 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 15th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    Have a quiet word with a friend in the building trade. Offer to buy them a beer, or a meal, and pick their brains on value. No answer can be given here because there are a multitude of unknowns, and different qualities, within kitchens.

Do not overlook local builders merchants - many have kitchen showrooms, and they are used to dealing with the building trade. This means less Swiss Tony type characters, coupled with down to earth talking without a multitude of spin that goes with countless kitchens.

Controversially, and I get shot down for saying this, I have yet to come across an independent retailer that is any good. OK with high end and high priced German kitchens they are bound to be out there but for ordinary folks, with ordinary homes, dealing with ordinary independents it is all a pointless exercise.
    Originally posted by Furts

I have to disagree with your last paragraph. The guy from whom we bought lives in the community, as do his now-adult children one of whom I taught.

He has a reputation, both personal and professional to maintain.

Obviously use personal recommendation as well.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 5,374 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    I just let the builder show me a few ideas that met my requirements , let him purchase and fit whatever I needed. I was happy with the quote , and my kitchen is almost finished. He got the stuff from howdens. Having a good builder is a main part of project imho.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin