Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tiya1990
    • By tiya1990 14th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tiya1990
    Customs Duty for importing therapeutic items
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    Customs Duty for importing therapeutic items 14th Mar 18 at 9:54 AM
    Hello ,

I need some advice regarding Customs Duty please.

I have 11 year old autistic twins and I have paid 300 for some highly rated software + boardgame to help them with their Social and Emotional Issues ( called 'Secret Agent Society' from Brisbane - its not available in the UK ).

70 out of the 300 was for postage !

On Tracking , I found that it was dispatched from Australia on 5th March and received here at Coventry on 7th March .

Its still sitting there at Coventry a week later.

My question is - given that these items are for therapeutic use

a) Will I have to pay VAT ?

b) Will I have to pay additional customs duties ?

c) Should it be sitting in customs clearance for this long or are they worried that its called 'Secret Agent Society' ? !!

Look forward to your replies ,
    Tiya
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 58,448 Posts
    • 51,818 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    Can sometimes take a couple of weeks to clear customs. There's probably a letter on the way informing you of the charges you'll need to pay before they release it. The item will be passed to Parcelforce for payment and delivery.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • alewin
    • By alewin 14th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    alewin
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    I'm sure someone from the HM Revenue and Customs Department will be along shortly to answer your questions.

If someone kindly directs them to this message board first that is.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 10,002 Posts
    • 9,885 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    There is information here on the various exemptions to Import Duty and Import VAT:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-trade-tariff-relief-from-customs-and-excise-duties-and-vat/uk-trade-tariff-relief-from-customs-and-excise-duties-and-vat
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    goods exempt from VAT for disabled people

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vat-relief
    • tiya1990
    • By tiya1990 19th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tiya1990
    • 19th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    Thank You all for your replies - much appreciated.

I received a letter from Parcelforce asking for another 78.30 to be paid ie
    67.05 - import VAT
    11.25 - clearance fee.

Just paid this for fear they might send the parcel back to Australia.

I have been calling the imports relief line - which another poster sent me the link to above - on 0300 057 2100 - called 5 times so far over the last 4 hours - eternally engaged.

Would anyone have any idea if they have an email address or an alternative contact number ?

Is it possible to get the import VAT back if I can prove it is for therapeutic purposes ?

Many Thanks for your replies.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 19th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 19th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    Importing Goods for Disabled people free of Duty and VAT

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-371-importing-goods-for-disabled-people-free-of-duty-and-vat/notice-371-importing-goods-for-disabled-people-free-of-duty-and-vat
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin