Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ohhellosailor
    • By ohhellosailor 14th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 58Posts
    • 3,482Thanks
    ohhellosailor
    Change to job description without consultation
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    Change to job description without consultation 14th Mar 18 at 9:48 AM
    Hi - it would be great to get some impartial advice. I'll keep it as short as possible.

I'm a Project Manager on a two-year fixed term contract, I am currently nine months in. During my personal development review (PDR) I was told there would be a change to my job.

Sidebar: On the PDR guidance provided by HR it states that "change, good or bad, should not be brought up in the PDR".

My boss told me that someone on a grad scheme would be coming in to take over one of my projects for six months (I look after two) and I may or may not pick it up after they leave. I would then be "freed up" to work on another project. This other project is not an organisational priority, I see it as a 'nice to have' project which is low-risk and low-budget. This would be a 50% change to my job description.

The reason given for this change is that "it's a good opportunity for the grad and the organisation, and that my project is the most contained and easiest to give them". However, my boss and I have clashed somewhat on the approach/direction of this project and when I asked if that was the reason why, my boss replied "partly".

Sidebar: At no point as there been an informal or formal discussion with my manager or anyone else about my management of this project. Or any prior mention that I wouldn't be leading on this for the whole duration of my time at the organisation.

I have informally spoken to HR, who advised me to informally speak to my boss again. This was not a great conversation and our relationship has now totally broken down (he had a very passive aggressive attitude, was very "surprised" that I was "upset", and I had to bring the conversation to a close early when he said "it's your decision if you want to leave" - hello constructive dismissal). In conclusion, my boss said that there is no room for negotiation and the grad is coming in, things are changing and I have to like it or leave.

I applied for the job primarily so I can work on the project that's being taken away, so obviously I'm very frustrated and feel a bit stuck.

There's two issues 1) how I was told - no consultation, no for-warning and in my PDR 2) the job change.

Thinking my next step is that I continue with the project I have left, and then ask for a new job description to be written. I can then decide whether or not to take the 'new job' which will have to have the same pay, or leave (hopefully with some kind of settlement). Alongside this I will also be putting in a formal grievance towards my line manager as I do not feel I should just lie down and accept this, even though I know my project has been lost.

I'm missing out a bit off stuff so this doesn't turn out to be an essay, but these are all the key details. I am not part of a union, but have been given a bit of unofficial advice from a rep.

Any advice about my next steps would be great, thank you.
    SSDGM!

House deposit: £5,250/£20,000 (my half)
Page 2
    • ohhellosailor
    • By ohhellosailor 14th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 3,482 Thanks
    ohhellosailor
    And no coverall statement such as "And other work as required"?
    Originally posted by ssparks2003
    No, nothing that i can see.
    SSDGM!

House deposit: £5,250/£20,000 (my half)
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 6,030 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Just to confirm, my JD and contract notes two specific projects.
    Originally posted by ohhellosailor

So what happens when they finish? You go on your merry way and find another job?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 5,214 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Just to confirm, my JD and contract notes two specific projects.
    Originally posted by ohhellosailor
    Even with that in the contract they can terminate your employment by giving you whatever notice period is required by the contract. With under 2 years employment you have no security of employment.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 14th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    John-K
    As above, if your job description lists only the two projects then you expect to lose your job when they end? If not then you already accept that the projects will change over time, which is what is happening.

I understand feeling that you own a project. I built up my current business at work from nothing, and am not happy that it will be run by someone else soon, but as I become more senior I have to let go some of the day-to-day things to start fresh ones.

Once upon a time I would have complained, but I know now that it is the very senior management!!!8217;s job to deploy me where they feel I can add the most value, and that I will not always agree with it.

You should do what I do. Enquire, express a preference, and if overruled, do the new work as well as you can.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Sounds to me like someone’s heading for the dole queue. I do sometimes wonder if people understand that employment is working for someone else. My project indeed. Their project that you’re being paid to do.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 14th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    isplumm
    Hi,

As a PM I manage a variety of projects - my job description doesn't change.

For the OP I would be worried about your job - I mean if you only have 1 project, is that enough to keep you fully employed? Are they giving other projects? Sounds like they don't think you are to it, if they have left the easy project with you?

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin