Change to job description without consultation

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 March 2018 at 1:09PM
    If your contract doesn't have a catch-all phrase such as and any other duties as may reasonably be required" I'll be amazed.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No, I'm not going to just 'do as I'm told'. I'm a human with wants, needs, feelings, career goals, etc. I'm not a robot.

You are a human, but you are an employee and subject to the employer's direction. Your wants and needs are for your own time, I'm afraid.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is this your first job? It sounds as if it is. I understand you felt "ownership" of this project but the fact remains it is not your property. You are employed to do a job, not to pick and choose which parts of it you want to do.

Use this as a learning experience and, as has already been said more than once, decide what you want to achieve. Do you want to stay in your current position or leave? Either way, building some bridges and acting in a professional manner will stand you in far better stead than spitting the dummy because you are not getting your own way.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Well, my boss and I would have discussions about the approach but we had the same discussions about the other project. For which I received praise for in my PDR.

So yeah, it came as a massive surprise.

Before I arrived my boss was doing my job and already had a solution in mind and I'm questioning that solution as we don't have the user research to back it up.

I can only speculate you have read the situation wrong on that project and not managed the expectations of the stakeholders quite as well as you could to get them on your side you are being moved away.

Unless you are in a position to win a battle where your pecking order with the bosses higher up and the stakeholders it may be time to back off on this one.

Then it is back to this statement.
    My boss told me that someone on a grad scheme would be coming in to take over one of my projects for six months (I look after two) and I may or may not pick it up after they leave.

What happens when this grad leaves and the project is a mess you need to position yourself to not become the scapegoat and having to pick up the pieces.

Based on the limited info I would run with the project you get left with.

Use that to get yourself positioned better in the company as a "good" guy, improve your visibility to the higher ups and project stakeholders as the person that gets things done and done right on time to budget.

The new project you say is
    This other project is not an organisational priority, I see it as a 'nice to have' project which is low-risk and low-budget.

I would look for any opportunity to make the best from that, there must be some point in doing it so are there options to make it more important and deliver more on the same budget, or even deliver under budget again this is about the stakeholders.

if any of the stakeholders in these projects are high up then even for the "it's not that important one" don't drop the ball they will be watching.
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    And no coverall statement such as "And other work as required"?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Just to confirm, my JD and contract notes two specific projects.
    Its not even remotely relevant, they simply give you notice if you don't do it
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite

So what happens when they finish? You go on your merry way and find another job?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper

Even with that in the contract they can terminate your employment by giving you whatever notice period is required by the contract. With under 2 years employment you have no security of employment.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    As above, if your job description lists only the two projects then you expect to lose your job when they end? If not then you already accept that the projects will change over time, which is what is happening.

I understand feeling that you own a project. I built up my current business at work from nothing, and am not happy that it will be run by someone else soon, but as I become more senior I have to let go some of the day-to-day things to start fresh ones.

Once upon a time I would have complained, but I know now that it is the very senior management!!!8217;s job to deploy me where they feel I can add the most value, and that I will not always agree with it.

You should do what I do. Enquire, express a preference, and if overruled, do the new work as well as you can.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Sounds to me like someone’s heading for the dole queue. I do sometimes wonder if people understand that employment is working for someone else. My project indeed. Their project that you’re being paid to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure