Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • achilles01
    • By achilles01 14th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    achilles01
    Estates wants to physically see Proof of ID
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    Estates wants to physically see Proof of ID 14th Mar 18 at 9:36 AM
    Hello,

I am trying to sell my property so I emailed to the Estate Agent a scanned copy of my passport as proof of ID.

However, this was rejected and he said he needed to see himself the passport and make copies so I have to go in to their office which is a waste of time for me.

Is he being difficult or have the rules changed? It used to be the case that scanned copies of IDs were accepted.

Also, what about all these online Estate Agents that let you upload a copy of your passport as proof of ID? Are they breaking the law? And what if the Estate Agent's office is 500 miles from where the seller is?

Thanks,

A.
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 10,687 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    EAs are under an obligation to prove ID and there will be comeback if they are wrong.
    Therefore each EA has to make their own risk assessment of what they will accept.
    Find a different EA if this one's criteria are too awkward for you.

FWIW going through this on behalf of a relative, the EA accepted a photocopied passport and her signing on their contract but the EA never met her.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 7,863 Posts
    • 8,042 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    There are no standard rules, but it's quite common to require to see the principal documents. It's trivially easy to Photoshop a fake scan, much more tricky to make a whole forged passport.

If it's too far to go, just post it, preferably by Special Delivery.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    If it's too far to go, just post it, preferably by Special Delivery.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Alternatively, a certified copy may be acceptable.

But, as has been said, it's entirely down to the EA to decide what satisfies them.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 6,362 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    Find another EA (or instruct the current one) to come out to your property and do a valuation. Show them your passport while they are there. Simples.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 10,687 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    Find another EA (or instruct the current one) to come out to your property and do a valuation. Show them your passport while they are there. Simples.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    And have a copy with you the EA can check against the actual passport otherwise they will say they cant copy it there they need to be in the office
    • achilles01
    • By achilles01 14th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    achilles01
    They also offered me the option to send them a copy of my passport that is certified by a Solicitor but who wants to pay a Solicitor to do that? And also this certified copy could also be forged if someone really wanted to do that so their policy makes no sense.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 7,863 Posts
    • 8,042 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    They also offered me the option to send them a copy of my passport that is certified by a Solicitor but who wants to pay a Solicitor to do that?
    Originally posted by achilles01
    But you'll (presumably) be instructing a solicitor anyway for your sale - and they'll also need to check your ID. If they charge you any additional fee for providing a certified copy then it should be buttons.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 17,048 Posts
    • 8,933 Thanks
    ACG
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    How can you tell if a photocopy is real?

There is a bit of an inbetween which is what some companies do (me included to some extent) and we do an electronic check, where we put in certain information and it verifies it.

But I only do that on certain occasions.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    shortcrust
    That OP hasn't mentioned that it's far away or difficult to arrange. Just that it's "a waste of time for me".

My advice is just do it. It's hardly an outrageous requirement and I can't see how taking the steps necessary to getting your home on the market is in any way a waste of your time.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 14th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    cloo
    I think some EAs are just getting more cautious as there have been cases of fraud conducted by people using false ID. They may be especially cautious if the house has no mortgage on it, the owner doesn't live there or they may just be covering themselves in any case.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I think some EAs are just getting more cautious as there have been cases of fraud conducted by people using false ID. They may be especially cautious if the house has no mortgage on it, the owner doesn't live there or they may just be covering themselves in any case.
    Originally posted by cloo
    AML regulations have definitely tightened up recently.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/money-laundering-regulations-2017/money-laundering-regulations-2017#estate-agent-businesses
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 14th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 24,321 Posts
    • 51,377 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    They also offered me the option to send them a copy of my passport that is certified by a Solicitor but who wants to pay a Solicitor to do that? And also this certified copy could also be forged if someone really wanted to do that so their policy makes no sense.

When I needed a certified copy of my late father's will I just walked into my local solicitor's office and they produced a certified copy for me without charging. Only took two minutes.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 14th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 6,570 Posts
    • 8,539 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Yes, practically anything can be forged. But the agents responsibility is to take reasonable steps to verify your identity.
    Certified copies are quick an easy to do - if you have a solicitor who is already acting for you then they may be prepared to do it for free, if not, thy may charge 2-5. Your bank may also be able to do a certified copy for you.

Since organisations which don't take proper steps to verify the identity of their clients can find themselves liable if there is fraud, or even face criminal penalties if the is money laundering involve,d they are not going to be willing to change their policies for you.
    • hjghg5
    • By hjghg5 14th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    hjghg5
    I've just instructed an EA who was fine with an uncertified copy (actually a photo). I offered to send a certified copy but she said she didn't need it (it's no hassle for me to get it done properly as I'm a solicitor and know plenty of people who are happy to apply their signature to a document if I turn up at their desk with the original, a copy, and the stamp).

I am one of two executors of a will and I imagine she did see the original of my sister's documents (she lives locally) which probably helps.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 14th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    ThePants999
    FWIW, the Post Office have a cheap (but not free) service for certifying copies.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 6,362 Thanks
    Smodlet
    FWIW, the Post Office have a cheap (but not free) service for certifying copies.
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    I did not know that, thanks Pants.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 6,362 Thanks
    Smodlet
    And what if the Estate Agent's office is 500 miles from where the seller is?

Assuming you are in England or Wales, this is between extremely unlikely and physically impossible. Lands End to John O'Groats by the shortest road route is 837 miles and this land of ours is lousy with EAs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,634Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin