Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shopaholicno1
    • By shopaholicno1 14th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 129Posts
    • 474Thanks
    shopaholicno1
    Will this credit search harm mortgage application?
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    Will this credit search harm mortgage application? 14th Mar 18 at 9:15 AM
    Back in early February, I thought it was a good idea to apply for a credit card to help build my credit score. At this point, we were waiting until January next year to buy a house, so it was plenty of time for the search to no have so much of an impact on my credit file.

I applied, but they needed some ID to verify who I was. Around the same time, they house we wanted cake on the market and the inlaws stepped in the lend us the deposit money. I decided not to progress my credit card application, but looking at my file it looks like they did the search anyway!

I have two credit searches in the par 3 months on my account, the other was in January for our joint current account.

I'm seeing the broker later hopefully when I drop some paperwork in, but I just wondered if our chances are looking bleak for the mortgage now?
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 10,633 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    Never a good idea to apply for credit/a credit card just before a mortgage application. Don't know how it will affect your mortgage application - broker will advise.

Is all the deposit borrowed? That might be your stumbling block if so.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • shopaholicno1
    • By shopaholicno1 14th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    shopaholicno1
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    Yes, all the deposit will be borrowed from inlaws-is this usually a problem?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 10,633 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    Yes. You're effectively borrowing 100% of the cost - which is like having a 100% mortgage which are no longer offered (as far as I know!).

Gifted deposit would be a different story.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 17,032 Posts
    • 8,921 Thanks
    ACG
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    There is only one lender I know of who will accepted a loaned deposit.
    So you may find your options limited...not necessarily more expensive however.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • shopaholicno1
    • By shopaholicno1 14th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    shopaholicno1
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    I'm sure my inlaws would do it as a gift in that case. I'll have to check! Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,725Users online

Martin's Twitter