Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jerrysimon
    • By jerrysimon 14th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 280Posts
    • 212Thanks
    jerrysimon
    Time To choose
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    Time To choose 14th Mar 18 at 8:57 AM
    Been getting a fixed tarrif for a few years now but looks like it time to switch supplier.

Been using Npower but, based on my annual usage are are now beaten by others namely BGas which will save me another 120/year over NPower's fixed tariff.

I have not moved before and so am apprehensive. With BGas its says I will need to go to smart meters.

Octopus are around the same price and I read good things about them on here. Scottish Power are in fact another 24/year cheaper and dont require a new meter either.

Thoughts ?
    Last edited by jerrysimon; 14-03-2018 at 9:00 AM.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    Been getting a fixed tarrif for a few years now but looks like it time to switch supplier.

Been using Npower but they are now beaten by others namely BGas which will save me another 120/year over NPower's fixed tariff.

I have not moved before and so am apprehensive. States with BGas I will need to go to a new meter.

Octopus are around the same price and I read good things about them here. Thoughts ?
    Originally posted by jerrysimon
    Beware of all quoted savings as they are incorrectly stated if you are coming off a fixed tariff. Compare current annual price with future annual prices.

Personally, I would go with Octopus Energy. There are also 50 discounts available if you use a referral link. I am with them for electricity and their communications and billing have been first class. They will offer you a smart meter when the new generation of meters are rolled out later this year.
    • jerrysimon
    • By jerrysimon 14th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jerrysimon
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    Thanks for you quick response. The savings energy club are listing is against the NPowers standard tariff so if that is what you mean I know I wont save 300-400 they quote. Npower quote they want to increase my payement to 95/month over the current 85 I am paying. So savings would be in the region of 120/year.

What about Scottish Power ?

Also where would I find a referall link ?

Also they have two rates

Octopus Energy

Octopus 12M Fixed

and

Octopus Energy
    Warm Octopus

I guess the great thing is there are no switch penalties
    Last edited by jerrysimon; 14-03-2018 at 9:16 AM.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 14th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    @jerrysimon
    Look on the Refers board http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42 and use the saerch this board for "Octopus"
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    Npower quote they want to increase my payement to 95/month over the current 85 I am paying. So savings would be in the region of 120/year.
    Originally posted by jerrysimon
    But is the current 85 enough to pay the extra due because of this winter's weather?
    • jerrysimon
    • By jerrysimon 14th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jerrysimon
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    But is the current 85 enough to pay the extra due because of this winter's weather?
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Yes I have used actual readings last week to work out costs.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 14th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    Just use a switching website and choose the cheapest. All suppliers are just the same.
    • jerrysimon
    • By jerrysimon 14th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    jerrysimon
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    Just use a switching website and choose the cheapest. All suppliers are just the same.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce

I appreciate that but in this case the deal is not bad plus there are no exit fees so if I hate them I can switch again.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 14th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    Personally I d forego the "tariff tarts " opinions and stick with the UK s most reliable supplier, BG.
    If there is not much in it between a here today gone tomorrow cheapjack supplier such as Octopus then good old BGs All Online 2019 looks good.
    Any problems and BG will answer the phone within 5 minutes.They are also the only supplier to run a proper quarterly meter reading team. Octopus will probably never show their face. They are cheap for a reason. Few employees in their rented units call centre so expect a long wait on the phone when the problems emerge. They are the "tariff tarts " current choice, just as GB Energy was when they ceased trading.
    Three suppliers have gone bust and I expect many more to follow.
    Don`t expect these "referral " fees to be honoured neither. I m still waiting 4 months later for my 30 cashback from MSE to turn up from my switch last year to Eon.
    Last edited by House Martin; 17-03-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin