Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Edwards99
    • By Edwards99 14th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Edwards99
    For Sale Signs
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    For Sale Signs 14th Mar 18 at 8:47 AM
    Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has any advice please regarding an issue that happened to me yesterday....

I put my flat up for sale about 5 weeks ago with a reputable estate agents, they asked me at the time if I wanted a FOR SALE sign out outside.... which I obv agreed too.

I have been living elsewhere since then and went to pick up my post to discover a SOLD sign outside! Itís obviously been there for 5 weeks. I contacted the company with my corncerns and they just apologised, said they would change it and said they said they doubt it would have affected the chances of a sale because of the low volume of traffic in the area of late... which is clear BS. anything I can do? Legally they must be in the wrong...

Any help appreciated.
    Shaun
Page 1
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 14th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    It was a mistake, they've rectified it. Just move on.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 6,318 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    eddddy
    anything I can do? Legally they must be in the wrong...
    Originally posted by Edwards99
    What would you like to be able to do as a result of this?

If you think they are incompetent, once the minimum contract period is up you can move to another EA.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    This is clearly a mistake made by the sign company. However they should have wondered why a 'sold' sign was to be put up without a 'for sale' sign ever being there, and should have contacted the agent. This is a schoolboy error!

This WILL have affected your chances of a sale. PLUS not only that, if I saw a 'sold' sign and thought to myself I'd have viewed your property, I'd now be wondering what is wrong with it. Questions such as 'did the original buyer's survey highlight something?'.

This is dreadful, and you really need to complain to the MD of the company in writing by recorded delivery. This has undoubtedly affected the sale process adversely IMO.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 14th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    They are going to change it. What more do you want?

Often the "sold" bit i a separate strip added to the sign, if so I would just have removed that myself.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 6,318 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    This is dreadful, and you really need to complain to the MD of the company in writing by recorded delivery. This has undoubtedly affected the sale process adversely IMO.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    What outcome would that achieve?

Would it make the OP's property sell faster, or sell for more money?

Personally, I think it's better to concentrate on fighting the battles were you might get some benefit at the end of it.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 17,374 Posts
    • 15,705 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    Often the "sold" bit i a separate strip added to the sign, if so I would just have removed that myself.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    It's often a bit that's moved from one side of the sign to the other. If it's that side, both sides say "FOR SALE". If it's that side, both sides say "SOLD STC" (or whatever).

They're trivially easy to change, so it may just be some prankster on the way home from the pub.

Vanishingly few people take notice of the signs, though. They're marketing the agent as much as the property. RM is the important one.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 14th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,415 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    By all means make a complaint.

However, I think it is unlikely to be a major issue. I think most people use Rightmove etc these days so unless it was also marked as sold there, it's unlikely that it would have lost potential viewings.

Dies the sign have your flat number on it? If not then it is even less likely to be an issue as people won't necessarily know that it is your flat being referenced.

You could, if you wanted, ask that they reduce their fees slightly but the reality is that it was a human error, they have rectified it, and you have no reason to think it has actually caused you any problems.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,045 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    Any possibility it was referring to a different flat?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • squirrel99
    • By squirrel99 14th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    squirrel99
    I can see this being a problem. for example, me and my husband saw a new house on rightmove and it seemed quite perfect for us, so we decided to drive by that night to see it from outside. to our surprise it had 'sold' sign out, so we left it at that. two weeks later, the house is still on rightmove as available....
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 17,374 Posts
    • 15,705 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I can see this being a problem. for example, me and my husband saw a new house on rightmove and it seemed quite perfect for us, so we decided to drive by that night to see it from outside. to our surprise it had 'sold' sign out, so we left it at that. two weeks later, the house is still on rightmove as available....
    Originally posted by squirrel99
    I wouldn't take either as gospel without speaking to the agent.

The sign can easily be tampered with.
    Agents don't always change RM flags in a timely fashion - or at all.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 14th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 10,514 Posts
    • 13,679 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Bit different with a house though. It's a flat - who's to say it's not a different one. A buyer would be crazy to presume it's the same flat and not ring. Offer could have been accepted on another flat months ago.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 44,068 Posts
    • 52,204 Thanks
    G_M
    If there is, as they say, little passing traffic, it will have made little different. Personally I never agree to signs at all. Especally if the property is often empty!

The guy who put the sign up was a minimum-wage chap in a van, employed by a sign company, contracted by the the EA. An error was made in the instruction or in implementation. The actual chap would certainly not query why a 'sold' sign was wanted witthout a previous 'for sale' - he'd just stick it up and drive on to the next job.

By all means switch agent when your contract is up, but otherwise, forget it.
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 14th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    Similar thing happened to us last week. Saw house on RM, phoned agent to book a viewing and told it was under offer. Asked why it was still showing on RM as available and agent said it takes time to change the status to sold, which I know for a fact is utter cobblers.
    They do this to entice people to ring up, they get their contact details and try to sell them something else on their books that hasn't shifted.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time

They want to pretend that the market is moving, when it clearly isn`t, these signs are aimed at desperate sellers hoping for a bite, but like much advertising nowadays most people probably don`t even notice it. EA`s don`t care about what prospective buyers think, they just want sellers on their books and their company name plastered about town on signs IMO, many will still only be afloat because of their rental business and the opportunity this gives them to gouge tenants for made up fees IMO.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 14th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    caprikid1
    "They want to pretend that the market is moving, when it clearly isn`t"

Yawn - Ask an estate agent the issue and I think you find lack of supply not lack of demand.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    "They want to pretend that the market is moving, when it clearly isn`t"

Yawn - Ask an estate agent the issue and I think you find lack of supply not lack of demand.
    Originally posted by caprikid1

The demand is at a lower price though, that is why there is a lack of supply. All this nonsense is facilitated by record low interest rates, hopefully soon going up Any way you look at it the market isn`t moving as it needs to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

903Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin