Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 14th Mar 18, 6:13 AM
    • 3,057Posts
    • 42,080Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Wednesday 14th March 2018
    • 14th Mar 18, 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 14th March 2018 14th Mar 18 at 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 14th March 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Now light, cold and frosty but clear sky - supposed to be quite warm later.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg. I remembered to get the pork steaks out to defrost so tonight we'll be having those with mash, carrots, LO cauli/broc cheese, LO yorkshires and gravy.

Work yesterday was horrendous again although it did quieten down in the last hour, today will be another busy one no doubt, but it does make the day flash past and I'm only working until lunchtime as I have a dentist appointment this afternoon, I do have a training session at work that I have to attend tomorrow morning for an hour (on my day off, grrrr...)

Came home from work yesterday to find all the display panel on the WM flashing bright orange lights and the machine not really doing anything. I managed to get the door open and it hadn't drained so the washing was sat in water - tried to re-set it to at least make it spin/pump out the water so I could rescue the clothes - nothing doing, so hand wrung all the washing over the sink, this will now get pegged out on to the line and hopefully dry outside, I couldn't put it over the airer inside as it was still to wet so no good trying to put it in the TD either. I managed to ring the engineers and as both my fridge freezer and washing machine are the same make and both have cover plans I've booked a repair for the WM back to back with the fridge freezer repair that got cancelled last week - hoping they don't cancel this time, we'll see. If they cancel again this week I'll be putting in a complaint - if the engineers don't come out to do repairs what's the point of paying for a cover plan?

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 14-03-2018 at 6:27 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 10,470 Posts
    • 114,342 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Nelski that's very worrying; having personally had the experience of changing anti-d meds, and the awful, awful time I had weaning off one, getting it completely out of my system, and then starting the new one; the last time they tried it with me, they tapered one off whilst at the same time tapering the new on one (they had to then reverse the process as the new one didn't suit me at all, but that's another tale). I can only add my best hopes for poor Holly; it sounds as if the treatment regime is a shambles, from what you've said.

That's sad news about Stephen Hawking - as usual, I found it out from reading this thread; I deliberately don't keep up with "The News" as I find 99% of it too depressing.

Poppy (((HUGS))) that must've really shaken your equilibrium.

Speky I shall expect regular "pupdates" on how Mama Dog is getting on.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 14th Mar 18, 2:12 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    You know when you're having one of those days ? Well we're having one of those weeks, and it's only Wednesday !
    I feel like we're turning into Victor and Victoria Meldrew because of other peoples incompetence . I don't know if it's because we are getting older and more intolerant or it's other people who just don't care . We seem to be struggling with jobsworths, or inept rude people every day.
    Mr Fix It has his oncology injection late this afternoon ( should have been first thing, but they double booked that too ) . So we had to rearrange all our plans for today .
    We decided to go to the garden centre anyway this morning for coffee and cake and Mr Fix It bought a new wok. However it's so heavy that I have a job to lift it even when it's empty and you can't put it in the DW. So I've put him in complete charge of it .

Right, now I'm going to put a load in the WM but it will have to dry indoors as the weather looks decidedly watery.
    Hope everyone is having a better day/week than I am .
    Take care, hugs to all.
    Sending extra hugs to Holly, Mr TA and Poppy.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 14th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    • 12,423 Posts
    • 39,635 Thanks
    Nelski
    passing a message on from Holly......

"I have just received the card from everyone. I'm sitting here in tears now but happy tears for once. Im so overwhelmed its amazing, something really wonderful almongst the dark horrible time Im having.Everyone on the daily thread is so lovely and kind I feel really lucky to be part of it. Please thank everyone and let them know what a difference it has made to know how much they care. I cant wait to be back posting"

Awww
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 6,404 Posts
    • 40,483 Thanks
    Gers
    passing a message on from Holly......

"I have just received the card from everyone. I'm sitting here in tears now but happy tears for once. Im so overwhelmed its amazing, something really wonderful almongst the dark horrible time Im having.Everyone on the daily thread is so lovely and kind I feel really lucky to be part of it. Please thank everyone and let them know what a difference it has made to know how much they care. I cant wait to be back posting"

Awww
    Originally posted by Nelski
    That's so lovely! Thanks for arranging that wonderful treat for Holly, Nelski.

My only student didn't turn up, luckily I didn't travel all the way to Oban. Seems she may have just decided to leave her course, such a shame really.

So, my day has been quiet. I had a volunteer driving appointment this afternoon so it was good to get out. Apart from that I've been lounging around - and will continue to do so. It's raining here, not too much and not too hard, so more could be coming.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 14th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 21,153 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Nelski- thanks for the update.Its wonderful that the card cheered Holly up & made her realise there are bright moments to be found even when you're as sad as she's been feeling.Hope they can sort the meds out without it affecting her too badly.

I've had a nice afternoon-my cousin has been and I've been showing her how to use her new die cutting machine.She got a lovely elaborate die so I made a couple for me to use too.We got to have a good catch up and several cuppas.She wouldn't have a biscuit though,she won slimmer of the week last night and is still feeling virtuous

DGC here shortly,I haven't had to pick DGS up as he had the dentist straight after nursery school so his Mummy is dropping him off.

Hope everyone has a nice evening x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 14th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 31,767 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Nelksi, many thanks for organising the card for Holly and for keeping us updated, so pleased that it has brought some light into her life at this awful time. Sending her more hugs.

Nannywindow some hugs for you too if you would like some, hang on in there this too must pass.

Judi well done on sorting out the energy thing, we seem to have to spend so much energy in sorting stuff out that should not even happen in the first place.

Poppy that must have been so upsetting take care.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    Nelski thats so good that she knows she is not alone and we are all rooting for her, bless her I can't believe how badly she has been treated and what a joke this post code lottery is for people who really are in need of help Its disgusting and not what was envisaged when the NHS was started.Too many chiefs and not enough common sense on the ground I think.

Polly, try not to be upset I remember about 8 months after I lost my OH I had a phone call from the local Ford dealer and it went like this

Me: 'Hello can I help you ?
    Dealer: Yes Luv ,can you put MR W on'

Me: 'I'm sorry I can't'

Dealer: 'Now come on love, just put him on I have a great deal for him'
    Me; 'I'm sorry he is not available'

Dealer: (now beginning to sound peeved ) 'Now look Dearie ,just stick him on the blower, there's a good girl'
    Me: (also getting more than a bit narked as I hate being called Dearie or 'my love' by some young sprog, I probably have shoes older than he was )

I replied: 'I am sorry he can't come to the phone I buried him eight months ago'

total silence for about ten seconds then a very cross chap said
    'Oh For F***s sake' and put the phone down !!!

I was left holding the receiver and I actually burst out laughing as I thought if my OH was there he would have been in stitches at the thought of me ruining this chaps day for him.

Needless to say I wrote a very strong letter to the MD of the company and told him in no uncertain terms what I thought of his salesmen.

Two days later I recieved a nice bunch of flowers and a very grovelling apology from the company. I think they were worried incase I made a fuss locally and named and shamed them

So sadly for you its not quite the same ,but I can understand you being upset though.

Today has been a good one and I dropped simon's card off and my DGD 's baby is imminently due and she will see the consultant tomorrow so I may soon have my first great granddaughter which will be another brighter spot after all the bad start to the year I can't wait to see her and give her a big cuddle

Have a good evening chums its half past five and still light

Cheers JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 14th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 5,748 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Thank you for the update Nel and for sending the card and gift, lets hope Holly can post again soon.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 7,331 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thanks for starting us off nmlc.

Nelski, Thanks for passing on Holly’s message & so pleased that she has some form of contact. Also thanks for keeping us updated on what is happening - the whole thing beggars belief Your thoughtfulness in sending the card is an inspiration to us all. I hope Holly’s solicitor can get her into her local facility - being near to home can be a great boost to one’s well-being I am sending virtual (((hugs))) to Holly & anyone else who needs one.

Nannywindow - incompetence drives me to distraction & always has When I was working I always tried to make sure I dealt with customers efficiently & honestly (how I wanted to be treated ) & if I couldn’t help I always found someone who could. The missing Council Collector have been explained by a competent Council administrator! The person my DH spoke to yesterday to report the missed collection attached the wrong address to the complaint so when the collection team went out the drive was empty ! Quelle surprise Anyway, DH has been promised that the collection will be tomorrow. We will see.

I have wrapped some Easter Eggs to send to DSis in France - she gives them to the five grand children of the farm couple who befriended our parents when they moved to France in the early 90’s. My DSis makes birthday, Halloween cakes etc for all the family. They will miss her when she leaves but as I have all the addresses we can still send Easter Eggs even if there are no cakes DH has been more productive - a trip to the Tip & the next load of garden fence/decking planks etc prepared for tomorrow’s trip. He has also ordered a V.x to clean the downstairs carpets prior to new sofas being delivered.

Dinner tonight will be finishing off the snacks that DH bought yesterday

See you all tomorrow

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin