Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fostertom
    • By fostertom 13th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fostertom
    Ebay/Paypal mess what to do?
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    Ebay/Paypal mess what to do? 13th Mar 18 at 11:00 PM
    Advice please, what to do, what to avoid -

I buy things on Ebay, always on my Visa debit card, only very rarely by Paypal.
    3 times now my wife has found the amounts debited from her bank account, reference Paypal.

The 1st time I found mistake - her Visa debit card somehow was the card registered on my Paypal account - and I put that right, so my debit card was the one registerd on my Paypal account.

The 2nd time I found there was no fault - my debit card was correctly the one registered on my Paypal account - I just paid her back.

Now 3rd time it's happened again, and again there's no fault - Paypal has got my debit card registered, not hers, but it's debiting my Ebay items from her debit account.

And I'm not even using Paypal to buy these things - I'm paying on Ebay by my debit card.

What to do - looks like I can't email Ebay but must hang on the phone to talk. Will they then take it on and sort it out? Or should I be contacting Paypal?
    Or should I just cancel my Ebay and Paypal accounts and create new accounts?

Would Ebay and Paypal allow me to do that using same email address as before? I don't want to be left without Ebay or paypal accounts, or with some long complicated thing to sort it out.

I'd appreciate advice on how to make this easy, and not make any complicating moves.

Thanks

Tom
Page 1
    • RFW
    • By RFW 13th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    RFW
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    Advice please, what to do, what to avoid -

I buy things on Ebay, always on my Visa debit card, only very rarely by Paypal.
    3 times now my wife has found the amounts debited from her bank account, reference Paypal.

The 1st time I found mistake - her Visa debit card somehow was the card registered on my Paypal account - and I put that right, so my debit card was the one registerd on my Paypal account.

The 2nd time I found there was no fault - my debit card was correctly the one registered on my Paypal account - I just paid her back.

Now 3rd time it's happened again, and again there's no fault - Paypal has got my debit card registered, not hers, but it's debiting my Ebay items from her debit account.

And I'm not even using Paypal to buy these things - I'm paying on Ebay by my debit card.

What to do - looks like I can't email Ebay but must hang on the phone to talk. Will they then take it on and sort it out? Or should I be contacting Paypal?
    Or should I just cancel my Ebay and Paypal accounts and create new accounts?

Would Ebay and Paypal allow me to do that using same email address as before? I don't want to be left without Ebay or paypal accounts, or with some long complicated thing to sort it out.

I'd appreciate advice on how to make this easy, and not make any complicating moves.

Thanks

Tom
    Originally posted by fostertom
    I can't quite work out what's going on, someone better than me may come along! As for starting again, you can wipe all bank accounts and debit cards from Paypal quite easily and do the same with Ebay and unlink any linked Paypal/Ebay accounts. Then start again.
    You could set up separate Ebay and Paypal accounts for yourself and your wife.
    Are you logging in from shared devices?
    • Dox
    • By Dox 14th Mar 18, 12:27 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Dox
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:27 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:27 AM
    Have you tried paying using Paypal rather than your debit card - see if that works correctly now you've amended the original error of linking her card to your Paypal account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin